Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 09:26 AM

26 posts, read 78,674 times

Advertisements

Silicon Valley is run to a great extent on cheap imported labor.
It is reported that 74.3% of the techies in Silicon Valley are Asians, primarily Indians. They come here on a visa called H1b, which is indentured slavery, they are paid relatively low salaries and they can't change companies. By some accounts Asians make up about 40% of the population of Silicon Valley.

Trump Is Right: Silicon Valley Is Using H-1B Visas To Pay Low Wages To Immigrants | The Huffington Post

All of that is about to change.
What Trump's latest H-1B move means for workers and business - Mar. 4, 2017

This is just the beginning.

The essence of this post is that I believe the Asians will be gone from Silicon Valley, whether they are deported, go to Canada or leave on their own. Along with them will be gone the landlords who rent them, the grocers who sell them masala, and the Uber drivers who drive them around. It is a given, whether it takes few months or years, but current administration is here for at least four years; plenty of time. It is very clear as can be.

What would that do to SV economy? This post is not about race it is about economy. I for one think that immigration is good for the country, but I am not making the administration's policies. The Indians did a lot of good to US economy in more ways than one. I am sorry to see them gone.

Would the tech giants suddenly become patriotic and start hiring Americans at twice the salaries?
I don't think so, they would leave.

With such an exodus, the housing prices will fall by 50% or more. Most people are mortgaged to the hilt, any fall in prices will put them under water with short sales.

Did we not see this in 2009?
Deja Vu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 09:58 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoaster99 View Post
Silicon Valley is run to a great extent on cheap imported labor.
It is reported that 74.3% of the techies in Silicon Valley are Asians, primarily Indians. They come here on a visa called H1b, which is indentured slavery, they are paid relatively low salaries and they can't change companies. By some accounts Asians make up about 40% of the population of Silicon Valley.

Trump Is Right: Silicon Valley Is Using H-1B Visas To Pay Low Wages To Immigrants | The Huffington Post

All of that is about to change.
What Trump's latest H-1B move means for workers and business - Mar. 4, 2017

This is just the beginning.

The essence of this post is that I believe the Asians will be gone from Silicon Valley, whether they are deported, go to Canada or leave on their own. Along with them will be gone the landlords who rent them, the grocers who sell them masala, and the Uber drivers who drive them around. It is a given, whether it takes few months or years, but current administration is here for at least four years; plenty of time. It is very clear as can be.

What would that do to SV economy? This post is not about race it is about economy. I for one think that immigration is good for the country, but I am not making the administration's policies. The Indians did a lot of good to US economy in more ways than one. I am sorry to see them gone.

Would the tech giants suddenly become patriotic and start hiring Americans at twice the salaries?
I don't think so, they would leave.

With such an exodus, the housing prices will fall by 50% or more. Most people are mortgaged to the hilt, any fall in prices will put them under water with short sales.

Did we not see this in 2009?
Deja Vu.
One can only hope you're right although I'm skeptical

Old 03-05-2017, 10:05 AM

176 posts, read 255,455 times
This is complete nonsense, OP you obviously don't work in SV. Sure there are a lot of asians, but only a small % are H-1B, and many of the rest are Americans. And, H1b workers are paid competitive wages, the government sets minimum salaries based on education, title, responsibilities. Companies can't just pay them whatever they want.

https://www.foreignlaborcert.doleta.gov/wages.cfm
http://www.flcdatacenter.com/OesQuic...ar=17&source=2

My wife handles the H-1B visas for her company, salaries have to be approved, and are the same as US workers. At least at her company, maybe there are abuses going on at some firms.

Even still, the number of H-1B workers is too low to have a drastic impact on the local economy.

It is true that the workers can't change jobs easily. That's fair though since the sponsoring company has to pay ~$10K in legal fees to get someone setup on an H1B visa.

And its also true that there are shortages of qualified American workers in some technical fields.

BTW I'm a white middle aged male Republican FWIW

Last edited by simboticus; 03-05-2017 at 10:37 AM..

Old 03-05-2017, 10:31 AM

No, every techie in SV came on H1b; there is nothing in the US laws that allows immigration of engineers any other way, but obviously you did not know that.

The visa is issued for three years with a three years extension. Then the recipient can apply for a green card that has a waiting period of ten years; in the meantime the applicant is " out of status" and subject to deportation. In the meantime the person is an indentured slave.

Let me repeat that, most if not all the Asians in SV are subject to deportation.

Read what Steve Bannon, the President's Chief Advisor has said publicly.

Know your facts before you contradict someone.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:31 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
I agree, more Americans should be included, not excluded from college admissions and hiring. Americans built and paid for our colleges so it is disgusting that they now use their non-white bias (after they are not racist according to them) to bring people here who have no interest in Americans, or our culture. Just read other threads regarding the quality of work the foreigners bring to employers, for example the first ACA roll out, which was mess. We need people who can work together with a common language which benefits teamwork employers need. Americans are the world leaders for a reason.

Housing markets fluxuate, no promise is made to anyone so if the prices fall, it is just part of the cycle. The Bay Area economy has prospered long before the current wave of immigrants and will continue to when they leave.

Buy American,

Hire American!

Old 03-05-2017, 10:40 AM

176 posts, read 255,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoaster99 View Post
In the meantime the person is an indentured slave.
"Indentured slave" that is a gross mischaracterization. These are people that are being given the opportunity to work at some of the best companies in the world, doing meaningful work, and they are treated well, and paid well to do it.

Westcoaster, do you, or have you ever worked in a Silicon Valley tech company?

Old 03-05-2017, 11:04 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,664,016 times
More likely silicon valley home prices will come down 99% after Trump pulls H-1b visas. That is his whole plan. He is a real estate investor you know so when the house that cost $1,000,000 now sells for $10,000 Trump will buy them all up and then when he leaves office the new president will reissue H-1b visas and Trump will reap untold trillions selling all the houses he scooped up for pennies on the dollar. He's a mad genius that man.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:15 PM

You keep asking me if I have ever worked for a tech giant in SV.

You should ask that question to Steve Bannon, the President's Chief of Staff. He used to edit an " alt right " blog, which is another name for white supremacist groups.
He has publicly stated to " Rid Silicon Valley of Indians ". He does not need to be living here.

They would do it, they have the authority to do it, and the public elected them to do it. They have a mandate by US citizens to rid the country of a large variety of foreigners, Indians working in SV are one of those groups.

Whatever the consequences would be, and how soon they would accomplish it; that can be debated, but the results are for sure.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:23 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
This is a thinly-veiled political screed masquerading as the silliest dire prediction about Silicon Valley property values I've ever seen.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:33 PM

9 posts, read 27,038 times
This OP is a lot like Trump. 90% racist drivel and exaggerations, BUT with 10% of important truth. And that truth is that an immigration crackdown really can hurt SV companies and consequently hurt property values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose