Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:32 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenji04 View Post
Hahahaha I wish I had your bill. I live in a 1180 sq. foot apartment (two story), everything is electric including the water heater. My bills range from $500-$800, I still can't believe it. I called PG&E to have a tech visit to check out if the meter was incorrect or if there was someone stealing electricity. The tech guy comes out does a quick check and says everything is fine. I went on the balanced payment plan for $583 per month, and now I lost my job. So I went on the CARE program which decreases your bill by 20% for low income (you must qualify). I just can't believe that two people live in the house, I have normal items T.V., computer etc., but have bills that are consistently in that range every month. Does anyone have some advice? I've talked to the Manager and they seem somewhat useless. There is no way we use that much electricity (and no I don't grow weed as the PG&E rep once implied). Thanks
That can't be right. I live in Keller, TX in a 3350 sq. ft. house. We have gas heating, stove top range, 2 50 gallon water heaters, 5-1/2 tons of HVAC, electric oven/microwave, 52 inch plasma TV, media room with 3000 lumen projector, surround sound system, 4 computers, 7 ceiling fans, etc... Last month my gas bill was $68.00 and my electricity was $150.12. My water bill to take care of my .26 acre lot was $120.00. I think you are getting ripped off. There is no way that can be right. I would ask some of your neighbors to see what they are paying, something seems out of whack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 712,680 times
I live in a 600 sq foot apt in San Jose with everything electric and on average pay 30 bucks a month with no heating or cooling bills. But on the months I have to use the old 70's wall unit AC it cost close to 80 bucks. Plus if you have an old fridge those things eat up more electricity to. Call and ask PG & E they are pretty good about explaining things.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:50 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenji04 View Post
Hahahaha I wish I had your bill. I live in a 1180 sq. foot apartment (two story), everything is electric including the water heater. My bills range from $500-$800, I still can't believe it. I called PG&E to have a tech visit to check out if the meter was incorrect or if there was someone stealing electricity. The tech guy comes out does a quick check and says everything is fine. I went on the balanced payment plan for $583 per month, and now I lost my job. So I went on the CARE program which decreases your bill by 20% for low income (you must qualify). I just can't believe that two people live in the house, I have normal items T.V., computer etc., but have bills that are consistently in that range every month. Does anyone have some advice? I've talked to the Manager and they seem somewhat useless. There is no way we use that much electricity (and no I don't grow weed as the PG&E rep once implied). Thanks
Where do you live? Which utility do you use? I know this is the SJ forum, but your post doesn't give any indication of where you actually live.

It would be important for us to know to have any way to answer your questions.

What about your A/C use?

I would shut off your electricity at the breaker box for several days, and see if any of the neighbors complain about having appliances or lights that no longer work. Apartments are notorious for having crossed wires and utilities. Also check to see if any of the outdoor lighting of the apartment complex is now no longer working.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:55 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Where do you live? Which utility do you use? I know this is the SJ forum, but your post doesn't give any indication of where you actually live.

It would be important for us to know to have any way to answer your questions.

What about your A/C use?

I would shut off your electricity at the breaker box for several days, and see if any of the neighbors complain about having appliances or lights that no longer work. Apartments are notorious for having crossed wires and utilities. Also check to see if any of the outdoor lighting of the apartment complex is now no longer working.

Or unplug every electrical device in the apartment and see if the meter still turns. If it does, something's still drawing current.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:32 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Or unplug every electrical device in the apartment and see if the meter still turns. If it does, something's still drawing current.
Good point.

Or do what Escape said in the post above.

Just remember to unplug EVERYTHING! Even a turned off appliance will draw current to stay 'warm' and ready to turn on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose