Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2008, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 14,444 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give us any feedback or personal experience about these specific schools, good or bad?
Rolling Hills middle
Westmont High
Cupertino High
Hyde middle

We are deciding between a rental house, one is in Campbell and one in West San Jose with Cupertino schools.

Cupertino house is larger, but the prices are the same.
But we are trying to find out more about the school atmosphere and the community atmosphere. We have 2 boys, 10 and 13. The Cupertino-schools house is located near Mitty School in San Jose.
The Campbell house is located near Waldo and Virginia.
I already looked on Greatschools.com but I want to get more personal experiences for either place. Thanks.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 01:19 PM

58 posts, read 192,393 times
you look at this!
There is nth better than Cupertino schools according to this and lots of people.
California School Performance Maps
Im facing the sam problem right now.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:17 PM

226 posts, read 1,125,707 times
The maps at the website for California School Performance Maps are not up to date for the latest scores available. Read what my other post for further information.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/4197584-post10.html

Old 06-23-2008, 02:35 PM

218 posts, read 437,770 times
I think obviously the easiest answer is, by test scores, Cupertino is a better choice. And the data are *easily* available to help.

I think you are asking something a bit more... What, other than top scores, are your criteria? Hint: the Cupertino schools come with other baggage.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:53 AM

60 posts, read 350,590 times
Baron~
Can you clarify what "other baggage" the Cupertino schools come with, as we're considering moving there because of the schools.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:50 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Mainly pressure to perform in tests above and beyond the call of duty. If you are anything other than Asian, your kids will likely be seen as the dumb ones and may feel their creativity is being suppressed. But there is the other side to it too - in the long run, the intense studying is likely to give your child better work habits which will be an increasingly strong asset as competition with hard-working East Asians continues.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:05 PM

233 posts, read 827,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Mainly pressure to perform in tests above and beyond the call of duty. If you are anything other than Asian, your kids will likely be seen as the dumb ones and may feel their creativity is being suppressed. But there is the other side to it too - in the long run, the intense studying is likely to give your child better work habits which will be an increasingly strong asset as competition with hard-working East Asians continues.

I wonder, is it only the school in Cupertino that is making tests the priority and pressuring kids, or is it because the school is primarily Asian that makes it an easy target for people to pin that on?

There are many schools that are predominantly white that are also very competitive, but people don't associate that kind of stigma with it. But all of a sudden, it's the Asians who are ruining our schools.

Is Cupertino so different than other competitive schools that happen to have a white majority?

Old 06-30-2008, 12:09 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenOlenska View Post
I wonder, is it only the school in Cupertino that is making tests the priority and pressuring kids, or is it because the school is primarily Asian that makes it an easy target for people to pin that on?

There are many schools that are predominantly white that are also very competitive, but people don't associate that kind of stigma with it. But all of a sudden, it's the Asians who are ruining our schools.

Is Cupertino so different than other competitive schools that happen to have a white majority?
There is a big difference between Palo Alto and Cupertino schools for just this reason. The requirements are no less stringent in Palo Alto, but support of the arts and generally things other than test scores is much stronger. I work for a children's choir on the peninsula, and almost every child is from either Los Altos or Palo Alto. There is not a single Cupertino child.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:28 PM

233 posts, read 827,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
There is a big difference between Palo Alto and Cupertino schools for just this reason. The requirements are no less stringent in Palo Alto, but support of the arts and generally things other than test scores is much stronger. I work for a children's choir on the peninsula, and almost every child is from either Los Altos or Palo Alto. There is not a single Cupertino child.
That makes sense then. I wasn't sure if that accusation was a fair one or if it was based on stereotypes. Asian families do tend to favor academics over other developments from my own experience (i am Asian) and knowing other Asians. Just wasn't sure if that was the main factor. Thanks for clearing that up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose