Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2008, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 26,403 times

Advertisements

I have an summer intership in San Jose for three months. Since it is a long drive from NJ to CA, I wana fly there and rent a car in San Jose. Can anyone give me any information and suggestion? such as what is the average rate, which company is more reliable and has an inexpensive rate, etc.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 10:41 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
That would be absurdly expensive. The big chains will charge you $800-900 a month. If you're really going to need a car, I would say just hop on I-80 and drive it here.. or fly into town and buy a beater, then sell it when you're done.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:46 AM

10 posts, read 60,921 times
have you considered zipcar?

Old 05-06-2008, 11:54 AM

19 posts, read 112,676 times
We rented a car in March for 2 weeks through expedia.com (check hotwire.com too) and it came to $15 a day for a family size car. We were very happy with everything. These sites do a search with all the rental car companies, comparing prices and list the results. Ask for a discount for the longer period.
We dropped our car off at a different city location and had to pay an extra fee for that.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:11 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntower View Post
have you considered zipcar?
I'm not sure how one could consider a service that doesn't operate in San Jose.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:35 PM

10 posts, read 60,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I'm not sure how one could consider a service that doesn't operate in San Jose.
thanks, I just noticed that! They only service SF.. haha, I guess SJ is really out of everyone's radar

Old 05-08-2008, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 26,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali2008 View Post
We rented a car in March for 2 weeks through expedia.com (check hotwire.com too) and it came to $15 a day for a family size car. We were very happy with everything. These sites do a search with all the rental car companies, comparing prices and list the results. Ask for a discount for the longer period.
We dropped our car off at a different city location and had to pay an extra fee for that.

Thank you all for the useful information. I will try this company. Actually $15 a day is good, which means $450 a month, but not sure how much tax and insurance they will charge?

Old 05-12-2008, 10:10 AM

19 posts, read 112,676 times
Our credit card covers the car rental insurance so we didn't pay anything for that. They had another small fee that we had to pay (everyone else has to pay it) so it didn't make a big difference.
Call your credit card company and see if they cover car rental insurance. If your card doesn't, they can usually offer you that option for extra $25 a year or so. That option usually comes in a package and also includes travel cancelation insurance and some other benefits. Ask for details on that and it would make sense to get it.
When you rent your car, make sure you tell them in advance you have car rental insurance through your credit card because they'll try to offer you theirs of course. Double check to make sure they are not charging you for it (if you already got it through your credit card).
Good luck with your trip and have a great time in SJ! Make sure you visit Santana Row .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: