Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 01:16 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by verrip1 View Post
Kaiser cut off my geriatric wife's 2 codeine pain pills per day for osteoarthritis some time ago because of "the fentanyl epidemic".

Nobody will listen to her about how stupid this is. They couldn't care less about her pain level. Her PCP and orthopedist both say it's Kaiser policy for nothing but Tylenol for geriatric chronic pain.

Old people who are Kaiser patients do not thrive on pain. They do not thrive at all. Kaiser sentences them to a life sentence in the prison of pain.
I'm surprised they haven't been aggressively pushing surgery on her for the osteoarthritis; some kind of joint replacement or other. Has she been deemed too old to withstand surgery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2023, 08:01 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
If she is geriatric, is she on Medicare, There are many Medicare supplements that are not Kaiser.

We dropped Kaiser as soon as we cold. They suck.

Old 12-29-2023, 02:26 AM

7,360 posts, read 3,819,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I've been growing unhappy with Kaiser more and more. I'm wondering if there are others that switched from Kaiser to another place and are glad they did.
I had good luck with the United Healthcare and Aetna PPOs. Never got any flak over what was covered.

Old 01-09-2024, 06:07 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Quote:
Kaiser cut off my geriatric wife's 2 codeine pain pills per day for osteoarthritis some time ago because of "the fentanyl epidemic".

Nobody will listen to her about how stupid this is. They couldn't care less about her pain level. Her PCP and orthopedist both say it's Kaiser policy for nothing but Tylenol for geriatric chronic pain.

Old people who are Kaiser patients do not thrive on pain. They do not thrive at all. Kaiser sentences them to a life sentence in the prison of pain.
Good grief!
Certainly this isn't the only pain med available for her.

Old 01-09-2024, 06:25 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:

Very true, my brother was a Kaiser fan he thought they were fantastic...then he got prostate cancer. They did radiation and gave him drugs, they did a scan and told him everything was fine and he didn't have to come back for 2 years. He went back for scans and they said that the cancer had spread to his kidneys, liver and gallbladder and it had basically destroyed his spinal column. They put him on some drugs and sent him home. They told him when he got to feel too bad to call they would put him in a hospice. He said "why, am I going to die?" He went through all of that without them telling him that he was going to die. He died 2 days later in the hospital, he was 66. I asked the doctor why no one told him the prognosis and he said "he never asked"

Old 01-09-2024, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
I had good luck with the United Healthcare and Aetna PPOs. Never got any flak over what was covered.
My husband has an Aetna PPO, he really likes it. I have really good healthcare from my former employer but it would cost me $300 a month to add him to it.

Old 01-09-2024, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm surprised they haven't been aggressively pushing surgery on her for the osteoarthritis; some kind of joint replacement or other. Has she been deemed too old to withstand surgery?
they never aggressively push anything that costs money. When I was with them I asked if they could do something about my knees, they took X-rays and lost them but refused to re-do them, they said they could just go by the report from the x-ray guy. So, long story short the only thing they would do is offer physical therapy so I said "ok". I had to go in a little tiny room like a closet, a young man was sitting at a desk and handed me around 20 pages of handouts, they were all instructions for knee exercises. He turned away and told me I could leave when I was done...I put the handouts on his desk and left, that was just insulting

Old 01-11-2024, 08:33 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Very true, my brother was a Kaiser fan he thought they were fantastic...then he got prostate cancer. They did radiation and gave him drugs, they did a scan and told him everything was fine and he didn't have to come back for 2 years. He went back for scans and they said that the cancer had spread to his kidneys, liver and gallbladder and it had basically destroyed his spinal column. They put him on some drugs and sent him home. They told him when he got to feel too bad to call they would put him in a hospice. He said "why, am I going to die?" He went through all of that without them telling him that he was going to die. He died 2 days later in the hospital, he was 66. I asked the doctor why no one told him the prognosis and he said "he never asked"

That's appalling. I'm so sorry about your brother. We dropped Kaiser like a hot rock and never looked back.

Old 01-11-2024, 05:25 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Judging by some of the comments I've read here and in various places over the years, I see Kaiser's level of care (and their reputation) hasn't improved. I discovered in the late 70's that Kaiser was a place doctors worked when they couldn't practice medicine in the real world. Easily put, if Kaiser was my only choice, I'd go without and likely come out ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose