Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 01:47 PM

146 posts, read 517,411 times

Advertisements

I just checked Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site. They have San Fran RN's listed as making only a few hundred less per year than RN's in San Jose. I should check to see what the rental difference is. I could work in S. SF. San Fran would probably be less family oriented though, right?

Last edited by Yac; 09-12-2018 at 06:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 05:10 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,163,263 times
San Francisco is a little less family friendly, yes. I lived in South San Francisco for a year and a half, and at least my area was much more single and young couple oriented. Marken is a fairly small company, my firm does business with them so I just suggested it since I know they focus on global pharmaceutical deliveries.. tissue samples and specimens and the like.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:08 AM

486 posts, read 982,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benandgrace View Post
maaci, other places in the midwest and south are going to pay my wife the same or less, so we wouldn't benifit from that. If we moved somewhere else where buying a house is more expensive, we'd have to rent. According to what I've checked out online about RN wages, San Jose is the only place it would benifit us to rent. So I guess it's either rent in San Jose or stay where we're at, because getting trapped under a lot of interest (even though interest rates are down now) is not what we want to do.

I work in healthcare. I wouldn't rule out the south or the west without actually speaking with recruiters. Many companies have become very creative in how they attract nurses, they offer excellent sign-on bonuses for nurse, some have very creative work schedules that pay the nurses double their hourly wage just to work weekends then you have the entire week off to pick up extra days. If you want to move to SJ because you love the climate and you think it is a great place to live then go for it, but don't do it to "save" money. There so many other factors included in the cost of living besides housing. Everything here is more expensive than it is in most places, right down to a gallon of milk.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaci View Post
I work in healthcare. I wouldn't rule out the south or the west without actually speaking with recruiters. Many companies have become very creative in how they attract nurses, they offer excellent sign-on bonuses for nurse, some have very creative work schedules that pay the nurses double their hourly wage just to work weekends then you have the entire week off to pick up extra days. If you want to move to SJ because you love the climate and you think it is a great place to live then go for it, but don't do it to "save" money. There so many other factors included in the cost of living besides housing. Everything here is more expensive than it is in most places, right down to a gallon of milk.

Maci, what I meant to type is most places in the midwest and south pay the same or less 'as here in my small city near springfield'. Anyway, as far as the cost of living in SJ other than rent, here's a thought. I don't know how much heating and AC is needed in SJ and SF but I'm guessing it's hardly any, especially AC. That account for a lot of the expense of living here in the midwest, which would probably be mostly non-existant there. I've also heard that fruits and veggies are plentiful and cheap there. There wouldn't be salt/rust damage to vehicles there but that's not a major issue. Now are you sure I can't save more money there?

Old 12-30-2008, 08:46 AM

3 posts, read 5,234 times
I think you are missing the point of just how expensive it can be in the Bay Area/California..... The paychecks look great - but its what you keep, not what you earn that matters.

First there is the income tax rates, CA tax rates hit 9.3% very quickly (and are expected to go up to 11% soon) while Ill is 3% if I recall.

Sales tax? we have that too. Santa Clara county runs about 8.5% (most expect up another 1% this year)

Car insurance will be much higher than small town midwest, expect to pay a few hundred for registration too (and you need to smog it every other year, then fix it if it fails). Need you car fixed? Going to cost more here - everything from groceries to gas to services will just cost more. You would think utilities would be less because of the mild climate - but it is very easy to run a 150$ gas bill in winter ( most of the older construction is horribly insulated, and the rate per BTU is very high).

Quality daycare for a newborn? 1200-2,000 a month. Per kid.

A decent apartment in Cupertino will be 1800/month.

Then there are the other costs - want to see family in midwest? 2K a trip for 4 people in airfare.

I would not move away from family in an attempt to save 20k/yr unless I was really desperate to save some money in a short amount of time and then move. To actually save that money your quality of life would be very poor. No trips, eat in everyday, real frugal living....

You should move here for the great weather, people and sights (or you work in high tech) - not under the impression you will save any money doing it. To save that 20k/year you will give up the best parts of the Bay Area - great food, ski trips to tahoe etc....

Realistically the problem is your wife's income is good, yours is too low. A family of 4 really needs to have two good incomes to have the middle class lifestyle you could have in the midwest. Maybe you should goto nursing school too?

-greg

Old 12-30-2008, 12:25 PM

802 posts, read 2,265,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gte601 View Post
I think you are missing the point of just how expensive it can be in the Bay Area/California..... The paychecks look great - but its what you keep, not what you earn that matters.

First there is the income tax rates, CA tax rates hit 9.3% very quickly (and are expected to go up to 11% soon) while Ill is 3% if I recall.

Sales tax? we have that too. Santa Clara county runs about 8.5% (most expect up another 1% this year)

Car insurance will be much higher than small town midwest, expect to pay a few hundred for registration too (and you need to smog it every other year, then fix it if it fails). Need you car fixed? Going to cost more here - everything from groceries to gas to services will just cost more. You would think utilities would be less because of the mild climate - but it is very easy to run a 150$ gas bill in winter ( most of the older construction is horribly insulated, and the rate per BTU is very high).

Quality daycare for a newborn? 1200-2,000 a month. Per kid.

A decent apartment in Cupertino will be 1800/month.

Then there are the other costs - want to see family in midwest? 2K a trip for 4 people in airfare.

I would not move away from family in an attempt to save 20k/yr unless I was really desperate to save some money in a short amount of time and then move. To actually save that money your quality of life would be very poor. No trips, eat in everyday, real frugal living....

You should move here for the great weather, people and sights (or you work in high tech) - not under the impression you will save any money doing it. To save that 20k/year you will give up the best parts of the Bay Area - great food, ski trips to tahoe etc....

Realistically the problem is your wife's income is good, yours is too low. A family of 4 really needs to have two good incomes to have the middle class lifestyle you could have in the midwest. Maybe you should goto nursing school too?

-greg
Totally agree. If you are expecting a 25K bump in gross household income if you move out here, you'll be at best looking at a 20K increase in net annual income or about 1600/month more in take-home pay (and likely less). That'll get more than eaten up by the difference in child-care and housing costs. Unless you expect at least a 40-50K bump in annual income, I doubt that it would be worth it for you to consider moving out here.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:39 PM

Hey Greg, you made some good points. Thanks. Though even a frugal life in SF might be more exciting than the best of central IL. LOL. There isn't much here at all in the way of entertainment. There really isn't anywhere to go to on the weekends, period. At least there you have the beach/nice scenery to look at. You're also right about me needing a career. I'm not cut out for nursing. Healthcare is a good field. If I could handle juggling a family, keeping the GPA (to stay in the course), and actually finding a college around here that offers the course, I'd go back to school and become a PTA. Otherwise maybe I could get a class A CDL and at least make more than I make now. I have a class B CDL but I don't think that will lead to anything significant.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:06 AM

3 posts, read 5,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benandgrace View Post
Hey Greg, you made some good points. Thanks. Though even a frugal life in SF might be more exciting than the best of central IL. LOL. There isn't much here at all in the way of entertainment. There really isn't anywhere to go to on the weekends, period. At least there you have the beach/nice scenery to look at. You're also right about me needing a career. I'm not cut out for nursing. Healthcare is a good field. If I could handle juggling a family, keeping the GPA (to stay in the course), and actually finding a college around here that offers the course, I'd go back to school and become a PTA. Otherwise maybe I could get a class A CDL and at least make more than I make now. I have a class B CDL but I don't think that will lead to anything significant.
If you are interested in excitement - the bay area could be a good place. But I am not sure what type of excitement you would be looking for as a young family. Outdoor activities? Big city life? Clubs? I think if you define what it is you are looking for that would help in your search. Take a good look at your options and the lifestyle you can afford in the different areas.

My usual nightly sight in the bay area is looking at my neighbor's 3 pitbulls barking at anything that moves....

You might have more fun living in the midwest, having a beautiful house with money in the bank and the ability to add excitement by taking the family on great vacations and weekend trips. It really depends on what you like to do and your vision of how you want to live your day to day life. The is a big difference in the lifestyles of the midwest and the SF bay area.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte601 View Post
If you are interested in excitement - the bay area could be a good place. But I am not sure what type of excitement you would be looking for as a young family. Outdoor activities? Big city life? Clubs? I think if you define what it is you are looking for that would help in your search. Take a good look at your options and the lifestyle you can afford in the different areas.

My usual nightly sight in the bay area is looking at my neighbor's 3 pitbulls barking at anything that moves....

You might have more fun living in the midwest, having a beautiful house with money in the bank and the ability to add excitement by taking the family on great vacations and weekend trips. It really depends on what you like to do and your vision of how you want to live your day to day life. The is a big difference in the lifestyles of the midwest and the SF bay area.
Hey Greg, I have lived here in central IL all my life, except for a year in Chicagoland. I'd say I'm due for a change and I know my wife is bored and willing to relocate to about anywhere. I'd like to move somewhere at some point but I don't know how soon would be best to leave. Too many factors involved with moving leaves me feeling overwhelmed and incapable of making the right decision. I'm living out the pitbull scenario right here in central IL. That's only because we haven't made a move due to not knowing what is best for us and what it is we want. I'm not sure if a beautiful and spacious house here in cenral IL would satisfy my wife and I. Having decent neighbors is important though. Having money for trips sounds nice too. The kids will appreciate that.

A little more on what we're looking for. We're not into clubs. I hit bars around here for good free food on NYD and when a good UFC card happens, which I probably wouldn't be interested in if I lived away from central IL. Some things we're interested in; a good church, nice scenery, skiing, dining, sports at a beach with friends, amusement parks, music and concerts. The kind of music we like (mainly me) is instrumental jazz, instrumental fusion, but mostly instrumental rock (post rock, doom, sludge, prog, experimental, etc). My wife has a few relatives in Texas, so I was checking out Austin's music scene for awhile. Most of our relatives live between Oceanside and LA, and northern IL/IN, so TX really isn't an option. We don't have enough income to buy in northern IL or IN (wages are also low there) and the rent/wage ratio seems to be a much better deal in SJ, even considering the points you made.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:03 PM

Hey Greg, my mom lives with my wife and I. She's a care giver for some elderly locally. My wife has a friend somewhere in Florida who is a live-in care giver. That would be a pretty good deal out there in CA. Or maybe I could manage an apartment as a part time job and have free rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose