Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,412 times

Advertisements

Hello I just moved into a new place after having my house forclosed on. I signed a six month lease but after a month I'm already stressed out due to my landlord constantly bugging me about nitty gritty little things. I had no idea it was going to be this bad and I feel like a unwelcome guest in my own home at times. He lives in the apartment along with another tennant. If I leave a light on I get yelled at even though I'm paying 50% of the electricity bill and there are 3 of us living here! Sometimes I just leave my room to throw something in the microwave and thats long enough for him to bug me about it. I also get yelled at if I leave the front door unlocked even if I'm home. If I leave something on a counter top, I'll here about it. If I don't remember to remove lint from the dryer I hear about it. I am constantly given speeches about how I'm not trying hard enough and whats it gonna take for me to get with the program when I'm actually trying very hard just to get along with everybody. Today I had a door slammed in my face for accidentally leaving the garage light on for about 30 to 40 minutes. Anyway I just can't relax in my own home anymore, is there anything i can do or am i screwed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 PM

49 posts, read 116,856 times
Default start reading

Go to the library and get the Nolo Press California Landlord Tenants books.
They have a couple of different copies; browse through all of the books. Next, look up the sections that are specific to your situation. Hopefully,
this will empower you. Note, the, above mentioned, books are both comprehensive and straight forward. It's an amazing good tool.

Best of luck.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:55 PM

18 posts, read 69,838 times
If the landlord is slamming doors in your face, it sounds like he may be happy to see you go and there would be no problem with breaking the lease. I always advise people to go ahead and break leases if they have a legitimate reason to break the lease. Tell the landlord that the living situation is intolerable and you would like to move out. Give at least 30 days notice and offer to help locate a suitable tenant to "sub-lease" to. Put all that in writing. Most times landlords will not actually go through the hassle of taking a tenant to court for breaking a lease. If the landlord tries to take you to court to recover "lost rent" - tell your story to the judge that you weren't getting along with him and found the living situation so intolerable that you had to move out. Also emphasize that you offered to help the landlord find a replacement tenant to mitigate his losses. The judge just may rule in your favor.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:52 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Or just take him out back...

Old 12-11-2009, 05:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
It sounds like you are renting a room from him, right? I agree this would drive me nuts as well> See if he will agree to allow you to find someone to sub-let so you can find a situation that better meets your needs and maybe his as well. Other than that, I am not sure there is much you can do..

Good luck,

Nita

Old 12-11-2009, 11:41 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
You experience in not unusual when strangers, due to circumstances, are thrown together under one roof...

Everything goes back to the rental agreement as long as it is enforceable.

What would you like to do?

Some options might include... arranging to move or addressing your concerns in no uncertain terms in writing to put your landlord on notice.

I would prefer my own space no mater how small... anything else requires an extra level of cooperation from all parties involved and often this is not possible.

To answer your question... the fastest way out is by mutual agreement followed by your landlord breaching the leases.

Nolo does have some excellent self-help books...

Old 12-13-2009, 06:07 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,209 times
Does he own the building or is he just renting an apartment and then renting you a room? If he is renting an apartment and then renting you a room, that MAY be something that he is not allowed to let you do, per HIS lease. It could be that you have to be on the original lease that the building owner had your landlord sign. In many places, subletting is not allowed. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose