Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 01:01 PM

11 posts, read 18,910 times

Advertisements

I've lived in western PA, Ohio, and IL most of my life.
I've never been to NM but hope to visit Santa Fe soon, and possibly move there.

Could anyone who has lived in both the midwest as well as Santa Fe/NM give me a comparison of the two? Pros and Cons of each?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 07:51 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,168,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyne.41 View Post

Could anyone who has lived in both the midwest as well as Santa Fe/NM give me a comparison of the two? Pros and Cons of each?
You're going to have a hard time learning much from the way your question is posed, IMHO. It's not unlike comparing apples and oranges! While both are classified as fruits, the contrasts far outweigh the comparisons.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:41 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,471,204 times
Love Santa Fe! I grew up in western PA and spent years in Cleveland and one year in Corrales, NM. You must come and visit, it is rather like another world. You will have sticker shock, however.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:27 PM

888 posts, read 1,187,220 times
My wife went to College at Univ. of Nebraska/Omaha and lived in Western Maryland for 17 years.

She LOVES it here in Santa Fe!

Steve

Old 12-15-2011, 08:06 PM

391 posts, read 907,042 times
You really need to visit New Mexico (Sta Fe or wherever) a couple times before deciding to take the Chile Plunge and move.
There's no way that just making a decision to go, without ever visiting, is a good idea...regardless of where you might be moving to. IMHO, most decisions made like this are as a result of other things going on in one's life besides simple wanderlust, and those things should be at least confronted realistically before making such a radical change of scenery and culture.
All that being said, I love New Mexico, have never regretted plunking down the cash for a mud house, and wouldn't seriously consider leaving NM behind. It works for me, in spades. But I've seen too many situations with well-intentioned and hopeful people not finding what they're looking for here and being disappointed or worse.
I hope you find what you're looking for and wish you the best of luck.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:09 PM

4 posts, read 8,924 times
Default Fell in Love

Now that we are retired, my husband and I are ready to leave Southern California. We searched Northern CA, and much of Oregon and Washington, but did not find the quality of life we wanted. We have both traveled extensively and have lived in diverse communites.

We researched New Mexico online, through books and by talking with New Mexico residents. Santa Fe seemed to offer the cultural amenities and open space we craved. We decided to visit over Thanksgiving. Rationale: if the city could charm us in November, it would be worth a second look.

In short, we fell in love with the town: everyone we met (residents and tourists) was kind and welcoming. Good food and a variety of art were abundant. The outdoors beckoned us: We're buying a house and will move to Santa Fe in March.

We are not deceiving ourselves: this is a big move! This is a story in progress.....all advice welcome...updates to follow.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:56 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,755,351 times
Congratulations! Did you already find a house & make an offer!?

My advice is to start sorting thru all your stuff the beginning of the new year and donate, give away, or sell a lot to make the move easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baysil View Post
Now that we are retired, my husband and I are ready to leave Southern California. We searched Northern CA, and much of Oregon and Washington, but did not find the quality of life we wanted. We have both traveled extensively and have lived in diverse communites.

We researched New Mexico online, through books and by talking with New Mexico residents. Santa Fe seemed to offer the cultural amenities and open space we craved. We decided to visit over Thanksgiving. Rationale: if the city could charm us in November, it would be worth a second look.

In short, we fell in love with the town: everyone we met (residents and tourists) was kind and welcoming. Good food and a variety of art were abundant. The outdoors beckoned us: We're buying a house and will move to Santa Fe in March.

We are not deceiving ourselves: this is a big move! This is a story in progress.....all advice welcome...updates to follow.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:15 PM

4 posts, read 8,924 times
Default Falling in Love

Yes, we're closing on a house in early January.

The great 'evaluation' of current stuff has begun. It's a great process: when you consider how much it will cost to move something, it's easy to make the decision - keep, give away, possibly sell.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:42 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,755,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyne.41 View Post

Having grown up in Ohio in the Ohio Valley before moving to NM to me the big difference is HUMIDITY vs NO HUMIDITY. But come for a few visits before making a commitment. There are a lot of other differences: green, lush vs desert; cheap housing of the midwest vs higher priced housing of SF, etc.

Come visit!

Old 12-28-2011, 02:11 PM

974 posts, read 2,344,488 times
For me, having lived in Kansas City and Columbia, Mo., the one thing I miss is the mid-western work ethic. That aside, I sure don't miss the weather or the flatlands, or the bible- belt mentality you can find in some parts of the mid-west. That last reference probably wasn't too politic for a Realtor to say, but I'd rather be open in my feelings....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe