Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 02:37 PM

9 posts, read 25,142 times

Advertisements

Do homes need central air and heating in Santa Fe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 03:53 PM

332 posts, read 1,035,445 times
Heating yes, but most homes here don't have or need central air. We can naturally vent our homes at night by creating a crossflow and allowing the night air to cool the home down.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:03 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
I do not live in Santa Fe. I live 60 miles south (Albuquerque area 'ABQ' ) in a more desert environment.

Of the approximately 1,568 single family homes listed for sale in Santa Fe only 72 have A/C listed. It normally is much cooler in Santa Fe than ABQ.

I have probably looked at or visited about 30 houses in the Santa Fe area, and they all had heat...

Rich

Old 06-15-2012, 04:57 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
Most of the homes I've been in SF don't have AC. Heating yes, you'd freeze or will burning fires a lot. Some days do get hot in SF though. A few of the houses I've been have whole house fans.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:54 AM

186 posts, read 465,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike from tex View Post
When I lived in Santa Fe, I didn't have AC nor did I really need it. The summer temps are pretty cool there, and it is high-desert......there might be a couple days a summer where you would wish for some air, but they are rare. Usually, a good fan is all you need during the day, and nothing more than open windows are needed at night.

Heat is a whole nother story...you need it, winters can be a little chilly. Not the bone-chilling cold of the midwest, but cold nonetheless. Some places have central heat, some have baseboard heat, and some have just a wood stove or pellet stove.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:09 AM

888 posts, read 1,186,383 times
I'm 10 miles SE of Santa Fe.
We installed ceiling fans, which does help out considerably on warmer days.

And YES you certainly do need heat here in the winter!
Either a furnace, fireplace, or a combination of both will do.

Steve

Old 06-16-2012, 02:21 PM

306 posts, read 758,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike from tex View Post
Well, as for heating, it doesn't get that cold there unless you're just sensitive to cold. I'm looking at applying to teach in Santa Fe myself, and my bigger concern is air conditioning although I know that it's cooler there than Albuquerque where I last tried to live. Or Las Cruces where I did look into teaching.

And before anyone contradict me with "it IS cold here" I just came from Upstate New York. And I'm half Eskimo.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:44 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Santa Fe belongs to the semi-arid climate zone, with cool winters, and hot summers. The 24-hour average temperature in the city ranges from 29.3 °F in January to 69.8 °F in July. Evenings are much cooler than afternoons due to the aridity and elevation, with most days of the year averaging above a 30 °F difference between the high and low. Snowfall is typically light, and due to the high elevation and low latitude, snow does not linger on the ground for long. The city usually receives 6 to 8 snowfalls a year between November and April. Heaviest rainfall occurs in July and August.

Uploaded Jan 22, 2010 - Winter Storm Hits Santa Fe

Winter Storm Hits Santa Fe - YouTube

Old 06-16-2012, 08:02 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkennedy1990 View Post
Well, as for heating, it doesn't get that cold there unless you're just sensitive to cold. I'm looking at applying to teach in Santa Fe myself, and my bigger concern is air conditioning although I know that it's cooler there than Albuquerque where I last tried to live. Or Las Cruces where I did look into teaching.

And before anyone contradict me with "it IS cold here" I just came from Upstate New York. And I'm half Eskimo.
Well there are probably people who think you need AC in Fairbanks in the summer, but I think it's safe to say that it's a minority view. At 7000 feet, semi-arid, and in the the temperate zone (although in the southern part) you're are likely to find more people concerned about heat in the winter then AC in summer.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:01 PM

293 posts, read 970,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkennedy1990 View Post
Not trying to contradict you... but Santa Fe's average winter low temperatures are almost exactly the same as Rochester NY (18 degrees versus 17 degrees). In fact, our summer highs are the same too (82 degrees for both). So yes, it really DOES get cold here. Fortunately it's usually sunny so it doesn't feel quite as cold during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe