Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 09:01 AM

45 posts, read 105,969 times

Advertisements

Hi, My husband and I have just had our offer accepted on a house we plan to purchase. We need to have an inspection ASAP and I'm hoping that someone might have some suggestions for an honest, thorough, competent home inspector. Our realtor made a suggestion---- but then changed her mind, saying she'd just had a bad experience. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 02:12 PM

102,232 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsoso View Post
Hi, My husband and I have just had our offer accepted on a house we plan to purchase. We need to have an inspection ASAP and I'm hoping that someone might have some suggestions for an honest, thorough, competent home inspector. Our realtor made a suggestion---- but then changed her mind, saying she'd just had a bad experience. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!
The realtor isn't supposed to suggest inspectors or contractors, it's not allowed. That's what the realtors I've worked with say. Finding a home inspector who will put your interests first is next to impossible, though. I've been told by many inspectors that the nature of the business is to facilitate the sale, not serve the interests of the buyer.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:34 AM

974 posts, read 2,345,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The realtor isn't supposed to suggest inspectors or contractors, it's not allowed. That's what the realtors I've worked with say. Finding a home inspector who will put your interests first is next to impossible, though. I've been told by many inspectors that the nature of the business is to facilitate the sale, not serve the interests of the buyer.
Sorry, but that is totally incorrect. Realtors working on behalf of buyers most often will give three inspectors as recommendations based on their past experiences with them. That's what we do. We (certainly I) don't refer our clients to the yellow pages and ask them to fend for themselves. Armed with 3 suggestions from their trusted real estate advisor, the buyer can then call and interview each one to find out their credentials, costs and for answers to any other questions - and then make their own decision. These days inspectors are pretty busy, so it can boil down to which one can do the job in the timeframe required - as each contract has timeframes specified for inspections. So if time is a factor and you've got 3 recommendations, but only one can do the job when needed, at least you've got some measure of confidence.

Next, I know of no inspectors who do not put the interests of their clients (the buyer - who is paying them) ahead of anything else. All reputable inspectors are licensed and have membership in one or two major professional associations and must adhere to a code of ethics. Also, if an inspector misses something they should have caught, they are liable and can be sued by the buyer. Many inspectors carry liability insurance for this very purpose. Inspectors who have a history of not catching problematic issues will find themselves out of work before long. Realtors talk to each other and, especially in a small community like ours, the reputations of inspectors as well as contractors and other service providers can make or break them. Of course there are plenty of other sources of recommendations but, in the end, it's the one paying for the inspection who must make the final decision on who to hire - not their Realtor.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:06 PM

102,232 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post
Next, I know of no inspectors who do not put the interests of their clients (the buyer - who is paying them) ahead of anything else. All reputable inspectors are licensed and have membership in one or two major professional associations and must adhere to a code of ethics. Also, if an inspector misses something they should have caught, they are liable and can be sued by the buyer. Many inspectors carry liability insurance for this very purpose. Inspectors who have a history of not catching problematic issues will find themselves out of work before long. Realtors talk to each other and, especially in a small community like ours, the reputations of inspectors as well as contractors and other service providers can make or break them. Of course there are plenty of other sources of recommendations but, in the end, it's the one paying for the inspection who must make the final decision on who to hire - not their Realtor.
There are so many ways around the ethics and even the liability, though. And some inspectors may not be in the business anymore by the time a problem is discovered. They may have moved out of state. Along your liability reasoning, if an agent recommends an inspector who fails to declare a significant problem, the agent could be liable, too.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:07 PM

I hear you, and agree that there are shysters out there to be sure. But the same could be said for any service provider (unethical, out of business, left town, etc.), so if we lived with that level of skepticism then we'd find it hard to trust anyone….. I mean isn't that why we ask others for advice and referrals - to get the best we can?
And as for liability, that's why Realtors give at least three recommendations to their clients and let the clients interview, decide and hire who they want. Can someone still try to sue a Realtor for recommending an inspector who failed to pick up a problem? Sure. It's a litigious society we live in. But does that mean we let our clients fend for themselves and not give them the help they are asking for and need? I sure hope not!

Old 04-21-2013, 06:48 PM

45 posts, read 105,969 times
I've got to agree with Great Santa Fe about the role of the inspector... We recently sold a house in AZ that was under contract two different times. Each time the potential buyer had an inspection... two different inspectors, and they both wrote up almost identical reports. The house had a lot of "issues" and both inspectors reported EVERY existing or potential problem, down to one loose screw in the metal roof. The first buyers walked away... the second purchased the place--- but after a substantial reduction in price. Even though the inspections financially impacted us, both my husband and I were VERY impressed with the thoroughness of their work. They were DEFINITELY working for the buyer--not for us! It's my understanding that that's what they do.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:13 AM

27 posts, read 52,980 times
I found a wonderful inspector after interviewing several ... would be happy to share a name privately.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:24 PM

4 posts, read 5,889 times
I have to disagree at least partially with GreatSantaFe. Home inspectors in New Mexico are not licensed. The legislature failed to pass a bill to change this in the last session. Yes, conscientious realtors will offer a buyer/client three inspectors to avoid the liability of "recommending" anybody. They clearly work for the buyer but should stop short of making any conclusions of causality of their observations and definitely NEVER recommend method or likely cost/difficulty of repair. I have had a great deal of experience with home inspectors as both an electrical contractor and a real estate broker and can't say it is a very useful specialty. There is no license and therefore no oversight. Their level of competency can vary wildly. If you have the luxury of making a cash purchase (I believe banks require home inspectors), I would highly recommend hiring contractors for inspections. Oh yeah, home inspectors have little to no concept of building/electrical/plumbing code so they are rather bad at spotting unpermitted work.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:26 PM

Gosh, a two year-old post of mine got resurrected. Rangerat is correct that NM failed to pass legislation this past session that would have required home inspectors to be licensed. Then again, nothing of any consequence was passed either. Hopefully next time. Personally, I only recommend inspectors who are ASHE-certified (American Society of Home Inspectors) or NAHI-certified (National Assn of Home Inspectors). They have to take courses, pass exams and also have continuing education requirements. Unfortunately anyone with a pick-up and a ladder can slap a home inspector sign on his/her vehicle, have some business cards made and call themselves a home inspector. I would strongly advise anyone thinking of buying a home to only use an inspector who is certified by one or both of the national organizations referred to above, and I believe that most reputable Realtors here would recommend the same.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:59 PM

4 posts, read 5,889 times
Default Thread resurrection

Yes, sorry, I did notice this thread was getting a little long in the tooth. I couldn't help myself because I was in a quiet little rage. Just lost my first contract on my first listing due to an overzealous home inspector. I can't say that the problem he pointed out was not a valid concern, but I can say that he pointed it out mostly because he didn't understand what he was looking at, and he went way too far in forecasting what repairs would "probably be required". And yes, a little bit of sour grapes. I'm told he used to be a general contractor. You know what they say, those who can do, those who can't inspect. Ok, that felt good. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
View detailed profiles of: