Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 01:37 PM

8 posts, read 19,495 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to SF from Taos (used to the artsy mountain hippies and other characters associated with the region) . I'm not very familiar with neighborhoods in SF, but am looking at a few houses for sale (fixer uppers) that are in the College of Santa Fe/Siringo Rd. area. Any information on that general area? In particular, neighborhood positives and negatives with relation to crime, schools (close to the Nava Elementary), parks (close to the Miles Park), public transportation (access to roadrunner stops, park-n-ride to Los Alamos), and overall walk-ability to grocery stores, bars and restaurants and possible biking to national forest/open space trails? Thanks for any and all input.

Ryan

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-02-2016 at 07:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 01:37 PM

Default Santa Fe University of Art and Design

Moderator cut: NOTE: Santa Fe University of Art and Design (SFUAD) is a private for-profit, accredited four-year university located in Santa Fe, New Mexico. The university built from the former College of Santa Fe which was a Catholic facility under the name St. Michael's College, and was renamed The College of Santa Fe in 1966. After financial difficulties in 2009, the campus was purchased by the City of Santa Fe, the State of New Mexico, and Laureate Education, and reopened with a narrowed focus on the film, theater, and other arts. The school is currently secular, and as of 2015, reports having 950 students.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-02-2016 at 07:23 PM..

Old 08-25-2008, 01:09 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,970 times
It's a great area to live. The positives outweigh the negatives. You are close there to bus lines. Grocery stores, restaurants and other services are within walking distance. Crime is relatively low, although like the rest of Santa Fe, property crime exists. The houses will be older, so if you buy one get a good home inspector.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the reply. Sounds better than I anticipated. Anyone else?

Old 08-25-2008, 09:37 PM

713 posts, read 1,846,199 times
I live in the area and the houses are a little older, but most neighborhoods are well kept. Shopping is a short drive or bike ride away. Rail Runner stop will be at Zia/St. Francis, very close. Bus stops all around. Many parks, wonderful bike/walking trail, schools, close to everything. I've lived here seven years and love it.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:57 PM

Thanks loborick. The house I'm looking at is ~50 yrs. old, so I'm anticipating some problems. Vinegaroon, you mentioned good building inspectors - If you have a recommendation, please let me know through a direct message. Thanks!

Old 08-26-2008, 03:33 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
I have never looked at homes there, but I have always liked the Siringo Road area; older homes but really some cute ones with some nice architecture. Probably fixers, but seems like some real possibilities there.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
The houses will be older, so if you buy one get a good home inspector.
I'm under contract - names and numbers of good building inspectors will be very much appreciated.

PM me, please. Thanks!

Ryan

Old 09-05-2008, 08:50 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,970 times
The guy I used seems to have retired. I might just ask your realtor if you have one, or if not that then go to the Yellow Pages and make sure the person is certified.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:16 AM

544 posts, read 1,485,767 times
Default College of SF?

Does anyone know if College of Santa Fe is going to close, or managed to get funding to stay open? From what I can determine, the contemporary music program is closed, but Richardson is trying to save the school...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe