Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2020, 07:35 PM

6 posts, read 16,030 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm seriously considering moving to Santa Fe or somewhere else in northern NM. My question is do I need to get a 4 wheel drive or all wheel drive vehicle for the winters? Or is front wheel drive sufficient?

Any help is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 08:52 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
It depends on where you live and what you want to do. You will see a lot of AWD and 4WD vehicles and not just for snow. Snow tends to melt away pretty fast, sometimes leaving mud if the road is unpaved. Higher elevations or ski towns have snow. Recreation in the mountains or deserts might be a challenge on some roads. I would not take a front wheel drive car some places I have been, even some that Google maps directed me to take.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:37 PM

Good to know. Thanks SunGrins!

Old 04-17-2020, 10:24 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf72 View Post
Hello all,

I'm seriously considering moving to Santa Fe or somewhere else in northern NM. My question is do I need to get a 4 wheel drive or all wheel drive vehicle for the winters? Or is front wheel drive sufficient?

It depends... We have lived in the Albuquerque area 20+ years, my wife has driven a front wheel drive compact car and I have driven a front wheel drive Ford Van.

Some parts of New Mexico might require a 4 wheel drive vehicle etc depending on where you live...

Old 04-17-2020, 03:59 PM

681 posts, read 1,206,223 times
Unfortunately, based on what I saw this past winter, people around Santa Fe can't drive on snow or ice, with or without 4WD/AWD.... the words "SLOW DOWN" are not part of their vocabulary. 4WD/AWD is nice to have, but if you're staying on the pavement it isn't a necessity. I would think it depends on your experience and comfort level driving under those conditions.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:01 PM

Really appreciate the answers. Do they use road salt in NM to melt ice like they do on the east coast/midwest?

Old 04-17-2020, 07:48 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Hello all,

I've always done fine with front wheel drive. The climate has changed since I moved here in the early 2000's anyway. We don't see the depth nor frequency of snow we used to, so a 4 wheel drive for around town and traveling on the highways isn't necessary. Frankly, even back when we'd get blizzards, I couldn't help noticing, that it was the little compact cars with their front wheel drive that avoided getting stuck, while there would be SUV's stuck off the side of the roads.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:50 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
Unfortunately, based on what I saw this past winter, people around Santa Fe can't drive on snow or ice, with or without 4WD/AWD.... the words "SLOW DOWN" are not part of their vocabulary. 4WD/AWD is nice to have, but if you're staying on the pavement it isn't a necessity. I would think it depends on your experience and comfort level driving under those conditions.
I was out in the middle of that last winter, and I can tell you, people were driving slowly. They didn't have any choice. And you're right re: 4 WD, also, if you hit ice, it's not going to save you.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:41 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
Quote:
Hello all,

I have a 4x4 and lived in Albuquerque for a few months. I never used it. I just stayed on the highways and streets and used 2 WD. But I almost went on a job interview to Denver in late October. They had a really bad snow storm north of Raton. Over there, 4WD is required. So, if you live by Raton in more rural areas with fierce weather and dirt roads or icy highway roads, then the answer is "yes". But in Santa Fe you should be ok if you drive smart.

I love NM and miss it badly. But my field of software engineering has too limited options in that area. It was either Denver or Phoenix for long term projects. Hence, I am back in Phoenix. But I miss Sandia Peak and Santa Fe badly.

As for the 4x4, I use it the most on hunting trips in rural parts of Eastern AZ at higher elevations. Those rural dirt roads near isolated ranches get muddy and snowy during the winter, and over there 4x4 is needed for survival. We usually bring an axe and shovel in case we get stuck and have to dig ourselves out. But you won't need that in Santa Fe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe