Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 05:24 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
That's the main reason we go to the Plaza so seldom (almost never). Parking there is ridiculous. Sometimes you have to drive around for a while. I am hoping with Elixaveth stopping there during the daytime she might get lucky and find a place.
We went there on a Thursday, mid day, and got so fed up from trying to find a spot. Headed back to ABQ and went to Old Town. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 05:31 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
Things have been especially bad this fall because they have been doing renovations in the Plaza area for the 400th anniversary - I think it affected the amount of parking available.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:35 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
Quote:
Things have been especially bad this fall because they have been doing renovations in the Plaza area for the 400th anniversary - I think it affected the amount of parking available.
I think you're right. Told hubby we will go again, but this time he can drive around while dd and I get out and window shop. :

Old 12-19-2008, 06:02 PM

That's what I did through the years when we visited Santa Fe. I had my husband let me out at the Plaza and come back at a specified time to pick me up.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:18 PM

713 posts, read 1,846,199 times
There are plenty of parking lots. Meters are no good because you can only park at one for two hours. Rates are low and there are three right near downtown, San Francisco St., Water St. and the Convention Center. There are also some private lots.

Finding meter parking is almost impossible. You have to be very lucky. My trick is I go downtown right before 6 PM. The loading zones are open to park after 6. I just pull right into one of those a few minutes before 6. During the day...tough.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:07 PM

67 posts, read 199,528 times
On the weekends we park in the lots of the government buildings that are about a block from the Plaza. They are totally open. By the way, I think Maria's has the best food in town!! ;-)

Old 12-26-2008, 10:03 PM

We have been to the Plaza several times in the past week. We have never had a problem parking. Once we parked in the Public Parking lot next to St. Francis Cathedral, and twice in the parking garage at La Fonda Hotel.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:33 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,467,280 times
Quote:
My favorite restaurant is La Choza, and it is not real far from the Plaza, and is inexpensive -- kind of hard to find so you will need a GPS or map or ask someone directions.
Ditto on La Choza - I've eaten there all three times I've been in Santa Fe, and it is awesome food. Of the many things I like, their giving you fresh sopapillas (instead of chips) is a nice touch.

It's kind of hard to find, but it is near the intersection of two of the main drags (Cerrillos and St Francis). And since both of those main drags are interstate exits, you just keep your eyes open as you're going into town - below is the link to the Google map....

la choza santa fe - Google Maps

Old 12-30-2008, 09:25 AM

6 posts, read 13,829 times
Ok people. . .I'm back from my trip. Had a great time in California, spent xmas with my family but one of the highlights was stopping at Santa Fe. We were on our way to California and detoured from I-40 to go up to Santa Fe. We got there when it was dark though but I didn't care. My husband was like "we are soooo moving here" he needed no convincing and my mother was like "this reminds me of Colima, Mexico". I was so nice, VERY COLD, and even though most of the shops were closed we still walked around the plaza, took pictures and picked up some "santa fe living" magazines which I look at every day. Of course our very first stop was at "La Choza" can I say OMG!!! The food, we were all like UUUUMMMM. . .what I liked the most is that it wasn't "wanna be mexican" food, I always complain about the mexican restaurants because everything is served with diced, tomatoes, rice, guacamole, sour cream and far from authentic. But I LOVED the fact that this was authentic NEW MEXICAN food, obviously with an influence or better said familiarity because of the region but very unique in other ways. We all fell in love with new mexican food. On our way back to Alabama we diced to travel I-10 to avoid the snow and we again stopped to eat dinner in Las Cruces at "el sombrero", mmmmmm I cannot say enough!

Old 12-30-2008, 09:30 AM

Elixaveth:

Well! It sounds like the stops in NM were a success.

I am so glad you liked La Choza - I have many favorite places in the city, but that is the one restaurant that is always consistent, and the waiters there are so nice. It is a charming little adobe setting too. Did you eat posole? Had you had it before? It took me a while to acquire a taste for it -- and now I LOVE the stuff!

My favorite place to eat is in the outdoor courtyard in back, so you need to come back when it is not bitter cold and we will meet for lunch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe