Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 02:52 PM

39 posts, read 85,022 times

Advertisements

I have never had problems w/our dogs and snakes but PLEASE keep your dogs leashed. It is not only the ordinance that santa feans should be following but it is also to keep everyone safe. The ONLY place in santa fe that you are ALLOWED to have your dogs off leash is the dog park which I wouldn't go to if you paid me. We run our dogs off leash only in Pecos where we can tell no one is around, Cochiti and Canada de los Alamos off of Old Santa Fe Trail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Pye

67 posts, read 188,295 times
Default Hiking With Dogs Around Santa Fe

We're considering a move to the Santa Fe area and have a couple of big dogs, one of whom is gigantic (a Scottish deerhound, Great Dane-sized). She needs a lot of exercise to stay healthy and the only exercise she gets is when she is chasing some wild animal.. otherwise, she's asleep on the sofa.

We live in Europe and the most danger we encounter walking in the woods are deer and wild boar (she will happily chase 20 wild boar and has always come back intact).

Does the dangerous wildlife (coyotes, rattlesnakes, cougars, don't know what else) make it difficult or impossible to hike with dogs off the leash?

Thanks for any info.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:03 AM

5,038 posts, read 7,417,088 times
The ordinances of Santa Fe and of any area you will likely hike in require you to keep your dog under control and on a leash (8 ft maximum) at all times. Santa Feans regularly ignore the law. I've done a lot of hiking in the area and observe that most dog owners hike with their dogs off leash. A lot of Santa Feans think their dogs deserve more rights than people do. I love dogs but am tired of going hiking and having loose dogs jump on me or poke me in the crotch, while their owners (usually 50 ft behind) shout at me, "Don't worry, she's friendly!" Personally I don't care if they're friendly, I don't know the intent of a dog is when it's running toward me and I prepare to defend myself. I would enjoy hiking a lot more if I didn't have to worry about loose dogs and their lazy/irresponsible owners. The chief danger to a loose dog in the mountains around Santa Fe is contracting plague from fleas of infected rodents. Whenever I encounter a dog owner with a dog on leash while hiking, I thank that person for doing so.

There is a dog park in Santa Fe where you can let your dog off leash, the Frank S. Ortiz Dog Park.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Pye

67 posts, read 188,295 times
Hmm, so according to you the biggest risk walking my dogs in wilderness areas is fleas on rodents or dogs sniffing crotches? I guess I've been overestimating the danger from rattlesnakes, coyotes, cougars, bob cats, bears, Gila monsters, etc.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:45 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,470,113 times
You can have dogs off-lease in National Forest. It is illegal to let or encourage your dogs to chase wildlife. Dogs should be leashed in Wilderness Areas. There's a difference between National Forest and Wilderness areas.

Santa Fe National Forest - USDA Forest Service

Table of Dogs Chasing Wildlife Statutes (ALDF)

Old 04-10-2010, 04:24 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pye View Post
Does the dangerous wildlife (coyotes, rattlesnakes, cougars, don't know what else) make it difficult or impossible to hike with dogs off the leash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pye View Post
Hmm, so according to you the biggest risk walking my dogs in wilderness areas is fleas on rodents or dogs sniffing crotches? I guess I've been overestimating the danger from rattlesnakes, coyotes, cougars, bob cats, bears, Gila monsters, etc.
There are rattlesnakes, coyotes, cougars, and bears in the Santa Fe area.

Two bear attack articles:
Article: Bear Attacks Surge at Scout Ranch.(New Mexico) | AccessMyLibrary - Promoting library advocacy

Gainesville Sun - Google News Archive Search
I do not believe we have Gila monsters in New Mexico, I could be wrong, maybe to the west. I have only seen them in Arizona.

I hear stories of peoples cats and small dogs being carried away by coyotes, but all my coyotes sightings have been without problems.

My biggest problems while hiking has been dogs running loose. With or without my dogs with me...

We have other items like Black Widows which have always been a concern for me as I have seen plenty. Thorns, (puncture vine, etc) can be a problem for some dogs. I live further south, fleas have not been a problem for me...

Rich

Old 04-11-2010, 08:45 AM

The basic ethic here (and around the US) is to ensure that wildlife remains wild. It means leaving the wildlife undisturbed by you and your dog. That's a losing battle because of continuing encroachment on wildlife habitat by humans and their penchant for development. But it strikes me as odd when people make a statement like you did, "I guess I've been overestimating the danger from rattlesnakes, coyotes, cougars, bob cats, bears, Gila monsters, etc."... well, yes... and it's because of humans and their dogs that we don't have more of those around (BTW, the Gila monster's range in NM is only in the far southwest part of the state).

It is not true that dogs can be let off leash in the National Forest.
This is from Title 36 of federal law pertaining to parks and forests: The following are prohibited: ... (2) Failing to crate, cage, restrain on a leash which shall not exceed six feet in length, or otherwise physically confine a pet at all times. ... (4) Allowing a pet to make noise that is unreasonable considering location, time of day or night, impact on park users, and other relevant factors, or that frightens wildlife by barking, howling, or making other noise. (5) Failing to comply with pet excrement disposal conditions which may be established by the superintendent. ...

Furthermore:
(5d) Pets running-at-large may be impounded, and the owner may be charged reasonable fees for kennel or boarding costs, feed, veterinarian fees, transportation costs, and disposal. An impounded pet may be put up for adoption or otherwise disposed of after being held for 72 hours from the time the owner was notified of capture or 72 hours from the time of capture if the owner is unknown.

This is from the Santa Fe city website: The New Mexico Department of Health has confirmed that a dead rock squirrel and a dead prairie dog found on the grounds of Nava Elementary School have tested positive for plague or for having evidence of the bacteria that causes plague. In addition, four prairie dogs removed from Franklin Miles Park by a City of Santa Fe contractor subsequently died in a holding facility and also had positive test results. Public Notices warning about the plague have been posted on the fence at the Franklin Miles Park. The park has been fenced off since early June for maintenance and renovation.

Plague is curable if treated in time. See your doctor immediately about any illness having sudden onset of high fever. Report if you have had flea bites, have handled any wild rodents or rabbits, or
have a pet that hunts. Plague can be transmitted by fleas and contact with infected animals, such as rodents, rabbits and cats. Pets that hunt may bring plague-infected fleas into the home and can also become infected with plague. Cats are more likely than dogs to get sick, and can spread the disease to their owners through biting, coughing, or draining abscesses.

I'm curious why you are considering Santa Fe? Did you know it is colder than much of Europe? Mean yearly temp. in Santa Fe is 50 F. Mean yearly temp. in Paris is 54 F.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:45 AM

293 posts, read 971,413 times
It sounds like your dogs are bigger than most of our predators (bob cats, coyotes), so no need to worry. Rattlesnakes are certainly dangerous but I've never heard a report of a trail running dog getting bitten around here. As for Gila monsters, yes, we have them in NM, but only in the very southwestern part of the state - no where near Santa Fe.

I would have to agree with others who have posted, though, and tell you that the average hiker in Santa Fe hates when people let their dogs off-leash while hiking. It ruins the experience for the rest of us because we're ambushed by unfamiliar dogs who may or may not be friendly (even though every owner says their own dogs are wonderful and frienly, that doesn't mean the dogless hiker would agree).

So... please stick to the less traveled trails and the dog parks where off-leashing is allowed.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:51 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,470,113 times
I would say that dogs are allowed off leash in national forest, but not in National Parks, depending on the particulars.

Here: http://www.highdesertliving.net/high...es&page_id=179

Pets in National Parks, dogs in national parks national forests national monuments

Article - Dogs on Federal Lands

Old 04-11-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
I would say that dogs are allowed off leash in national forest, but not in National Parks, depending on the particulars.

Here: High Desert Residential Owners Association Website

Pets in National Parks, dogs in national parks national forests national monuments

Article - Dogs on Federal Lands
I don't find anywhere that dogs can be allowed off leash in any of the links you provided.

To amend my temperature stats above... avg. temp. Santa Fe, 49 F; avg. temp. Paris, 52 F. (source: World Climate: Weather rainfall and temperature data)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe