Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:16 PM

913 posts, read 2,362,754 times

Advertisements

So how can anyone rationalize making it illegal to NOT wear a seatbelt but make it legal NOT to have to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle? Let me clarify this by saying that I choose to wear my seatbelt for safety reasons, not because it is illegal not to. If I rode a motorcycle I would wear a helmet. What I am asking is what goes through the head of a politician to say "everyone should wear seatbelts" and at the same time say "helmets should be voluntary"? I do not understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 10:21 PM

879 posts, read 1,954,062 times
i dunno - i think it's insane! ok, don't make it a law but why would you want to ride anything that fast without a helmet. i know it's hot here folks but at least wear jeans and boots when you ride!! maybe it's natural selection at work...

Old 08-13-2010, 12:04 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,153,717 times
i rode motorcycles for many years and raced them for 5 or 6. I can tell you falling off is not pleasant. i have a nice scar on one elbow where the skin was worn away very deep even through racing leathers. it makes me cringe when i see people riding wearing flip flops, shorts or sleeveless Tees, but no helmet -sorry but one crash and the odds are you will be a dribbling cabbage for the rest of your life IF you survive.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:08 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,263,829 times
I agree completely, but here is my persepective. Im not justifying it at all- I think it should be mandatory for sure. However, a seatbelt can and most likely will save you in the event of an accident. Keep in mind also, cars are much bigger, and an accident often means something minor. Now, a motorcycle accident? Chances are a helmet will not save you anyway. It could prevent serious injury in the case of a minor accident, but most of them are major from what I know. When I see people riding with no helmets it makes me crazy, and when they are barefoot, or in a bathing suit?? What are they thinking!!

Old 08-13-2010, 08:42 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,143,545 times
thats why they are nicknamed "organ donors".

with seat belts there is always that one you hear about who gets thrown from a burning wreck and lives while the ones with seat belts on die. 6 years as huey crew chief/door gunner seat belts are an automatic thing.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:59 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,092,956 times
The likelihood of survival if you have a serious accident and don't wear a helmet is very low - so you're cost to the local jurisdiction is less burdensome than if you are in an accident and you are in a car without a seat belt. You are more likely to survive in a car without a seatbelt, but you are more likely to eventually become a burden on the jurisdiction, and society. I think that is an unfortunate thought process that goes on when they vote on this matter.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:13 PM

11 posts, read 32,157 times
I never raced or rode motorcycles but I was a mechanic for one that did, got to be 3d in world championship at one point. He crashed at a later stage, hit a tree with his head, wearing a helmet of course, and even though he was a vegteable in a coma for a long time he eventually regained most of his facilities through the excellent, and expensive care, provided to him. Economically being an organ donor would have made sense.
The worst case of living like an idiot I have seen was on I95 going through Atlanta, a whole gang of motorcylces was ripping trough at over 70 mph. One passed us on a wheelie, riding with the front wheel up in the air, and continuted merrily on his way.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:55 PM

153 posts, read 288,042 times
I currently live in Illinois, but will be relocating to the Sarasota area. It's my choice to NOT wear a helmet when I ride. I am an active member of ABATE and we fight for our rights. We don't want some non-riding politician making our decisions. I am fully aware of what could happen by not wearing a helmet. I'm also aware of what CAN happen when you do wear a helmet. The seatbelt law doesn't make sense to me either. It should be a personal choice. I'm sure alot of you will take this completely the wrong way, but it's my opinion and I'm intitled to it. I should clarify though that I am a Harley rider and I don't ride the rice burners. Yes, there is a huge difference.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:34 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,092,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnInChicago View Post
I currently live in Illinois, but will be relocating to the Sarasota area. It's my choice to NOT wear a helmet when I ride. I am an active member of ABATE and we fight for our rights. We don't want some non-riding politician making our decisions. I am fully aware of what could happen by not wearing a helmet. I'm also aware of what CAN happen when you do wear a helmet. The seatbelt law doesn't make sense to me either. It should be a personal choice. I'm sure alot of you will take this completely the wrong way, but it's my opinion and I'm intitled to it. I should clarify though that I am a Harley rider and I don't ride the rice burners. Yes, there is a huge difference.
Well you have a vote opportunity to choose to vote for a riding politician, but I'm not sure that that vote will have much effect.

I have a question though, who is going to vote to support you and your family if someone cuts you off and you're not properly protected. I understand both view points, and the freedom of choice, and feel that sometimes wearing a helmet can be overkill, but sometimes IMO it is a smart thing and some rules should apply. If I were forced to take a stand, I would side with the rider's choice.

That said, whenever I've voted for a politician because of his stance on the helmet law, I have never worried in the slighted that he might vote for or against a helmet law. That is so far down the list for me that the pinging light on you cell phone would be more significant as an issue, and you're hundreds of miles away.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:42 PM

913 posts, read 2,362,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
I agree completely, but here is my persepective. Im not justifying it at all- I think it should be mandatory for sure. However, a seatbelt can and most likely will save you in the event of an accident. Keep in mind also, cars are much bigger, and an accident often means something minor. Now, a motorcycle accident? Chances are a helmet will not save you anyway. It could prevent serious injury in the case of a minor accident, but most of them are major from what I know. When I see people riding with no helmets it makes me crazy, and when they are barefoot, or in a bathing suit?? What are they thinking!!

If that's the case then we should ban motorcycles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: