Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2010, 06:43 AM

413 posts, read 827,950 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Read an article about a law that has been passed in Fla. that will require all
septic sewer systems to be brought up to code. My question is this. How can you make sure that the property you are considering is up to code?
The article did not state what code was, but did say that property owners would have to bring them to code at there expense.

Thanks
Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 11:41 AM

6,864 posts, read 12,071,773 times
Basically, if you view a property that has a 'raised' hill on the front lawn, it is probably up to code. The new code has been in existence for about 15 years. If you view a property that has a septic field that is level or lower than the front door, be concerned. Not only is the system suseptible to flooding but the tank may be too small and the field may be too small. Also the field was layed out with bell tile on the existing sand. [no gravel]
According to the ground elevation, ground conditions, the house elevation, upgrading may also require a lift pump for the new tank/field.
You're looking at more than $6000

Old 10-22-2010, 01:43 PM

413 posts, read 827,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Basically, if you view a property that has a 'raised' hill on the front lawn, it is probably up to code. The new code has been in existence for about 15 years. If you view a property that has a septic field that is level or lower than the front door, be concerned. Not only is the system suseptible to flooding but the tank may be too small and the field may be too small. Also the field was layed out with bell tile on the existing sand. [no gravel]
According to the ground elevation, ground conditions, the house elevation, upgrading may also require a lift pump for the new tank/field.
You're looking at more than $6000
So does the Health department require the updated system before a sale can be completed. If not when would changes need to be done. Is Harbour Heights on sewer system?

Old 10-23-2010, 06:37 AM

462 posts, read 1,706,974 times
Sarasota County is making their way around to neighborhoods that are on septic and putting in county sewer which will be mandatory to hook up to as soon as it is in place. My neighborhood is next to get done and I'm not looking forward to the $3,000 expense to hook up and destroy the tank etc. Then the monthly expense added to my water bill!

Old 10-23-2010, 07:08 AM

32 posts, read 57,102 times
I'm looking at a property in Venice w/ septic w/ "drainage field problems". Who would be good for inspection? Does anyone have experience w/ aerator systems? Thanks.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:02 PM

The back section of my subdivision was only partially developed. The existing homes had well/septic. The county installed 3.5 miles of water/sewer. The home owners on well/septic were told they had to hook up to the county water/sewer. That was 11 years ago. They are still using their well/septic. And one of the homes is for sale and there is no 'must hook up to county system' disclcosure. BUT all home owners were charged $6500 to install the water sewer in the street. This was in addition to the $2450 to have the street paved/sidewalks.
If they decide to hook up to the county system, they will not allow only water. They want and require both.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:09 PM

interesting, I called the county because my lender was going to make me hook up to sewer if it was already here on my street before I could buy the house. They said it was not here yet but would be heading this way in about November of this year and it would be mandatory to hook up to it. Frankly I'm just fine with the way things are now and I'm not in a flood zone so leave it be is how I feel. Now that I got a replacement pump for the well that the former owner removed and gave to her daughter, I can now water my yard with the water from the well and I'm a happy camper.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:28 PM

In areas getting county water and/or sewer and you have a well but only using it for lawn watering, don't be surprised if you get a 'plug the well' notice. [they want the water you use going thru a meter to pay for the water AND sewer charges]

Old 10-23-2010, 05:00 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
In areas getting county water and/or sewer and you have a well but only using it for lawn watering, don't be surprised if you get a 'plug the well' notice. [they want the water you use going thru a meter to pay for the water AND sewer charges]
That's the way it was here in Palmetto when they ran reclaimed. You can't install a new well at all if reclaimed is available on your property.

If they do make you remove the well then I'd look at getting a second meter for the sprinkler system. I know that a lot of the newer sub divisions are built with two meters so that you don't have to pay sewage for the sprinklers.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:11 PM

I was already thinking that skunk workz. I don't have a sprinkler system but I do have a well and it's going to be a fight to get me to get rid of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area