Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 06:23 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
I have a new thought so I am gonna revive a thread from 1-11 so bare with me:

Whats the deal with this rowing team thing in Parrish?
Read this: Palmetto High to Field County's First Rowing Team - Bradenton, FL Patch

I think that the location is more about the fact that you need a flat, calm, protected stretch of water, so the county built it further up the river. It looks like it could be a big deal for Manatee county, considering Harvard is going to use it for Winter training.

Quote:
A new bridge is supposed to be built. I have a theory about it. With decreasing house prices, I see this as an opportunity for a shortcut and an easier way to come to town for lower income people. They will no longer HAVE TO go through Palmetto. More people from Oneco and MLK area in Sarasota could be coming up here are my exact thoughts.
The Ft Hamer bridge has been in planning of some sort for the 15+ years that I've been in Manatee County, the only new thing here is that it's actually getting built.

If you look at a map I'd guess that it will have the opposite effect of what you think it will. It will effectively extend Lakewood Ranch Blvd north over the river, tying together the two areas.

Like it or not, the demand for these type of communities will continue to grow. It may have slowed down for now, but there are millions of boomers out there that are going to retire, and they all want to play golf somewhere warm when they do.

Remember that 15 years ago there was almost nothing east of 75. Give it 15 more and there won't be any pasture land left.

Quote:
This whole rowing team thing might have been a good idea IF homes valued stayed high in Parrish and it was guaranteed to stay whitebread land, they didn't. Unless of course other surrounding towns with more white preppy types use it. They will still build the bridge anyway if anything, to make it so the "lower class" have an easier way to get to town and buy the cheap properties. With all the mexicans and blacks moving here down the line from Sarasota/Bradenton and more whites leaving for places closer to the cities, I surely don't think rowing teams are in the future here. People who own horses there now are gonna be shltting in their shorts once Ft Hamer gets crowded up.
I didn't know that white people had some monopoly on boats and oars, or all wanted to live near cities.

It's actually Palmetto High (supposedly a gang infested mess) that's putting the first team at the rowing center. I think that opening the bridge up will make it easier for the schools in the Lakewood Ranch area to gain access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 06:41 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Read this: Palmetto High to Field County's First Rowing Team - Bradenton, FL Patch

I think that the location is more about the fact that you need a flat, calm, protected stretch of water, so the county built it further up the river. It looks like it could be a big deal for Manatee county, considering Harvard is going to use it for Winter training.

The Ft Hamer bridge has been in planning of some sort for the 15+ years that I've been in Manatee County, the only new thing here is that it's actually getting built.

If you look at a map I'd guess that it will have the opposite effect of what you think it will. It will effectively extend Lakewood Ranch Blvd north over the river, tying together the two areas.

Like it or not, the demand for these type of communities will continue to grow. It may have slowed down for now, but there are millions of boomers out there that are going to retire, and they all want to play golf somewhere warm when they do.

Remember that 15 years ago there was almost nothing east of 75. Give it 15 more and there won't be any pasture land left.

I didn't know that white people had some monopoly on boats and oars, or all wanted to live near cities.

It's actually Palmetto High (supposedly a gang infested mess) that's putting the first team at the rowing center. I think that opening the bridge up will make it easier for the schools in the Lakewood Ranch area to gain access.

This is why I wanted to ask more about it since it seems like a new idea being revived again or an old one not talked about in a very long time.

I am willing to believe 15 yrs ago, Sr 70 area in Bradenton had very little too as well as 64. Most of University even seems like it has been around a lil over 10 yrs like 10 to 15.

It looks like its on pace to becoming a mini Los Angeles type area.

Go figure is right.. Palmetto has a bad rap, but supposedly a good school. I am willing to bet the rowing team has few to no black people though. I did hear how they may charge good money to cross that bridge too so.. Only after the fact I thought some of the minorities would come in and invade it so if that sounded ignorant, I apologize. Its just when I thought of this suburb area, it was no different from most suburbs other places where the minorities all took them over. Sorta like what happened in Phoenix AZ area or L.A.

Now I have a better picture and now what they might try to do later is build up Parrish center and make it a planned center. Theres already bike lanes in some places outside these subdivisions and I have seen several people on bikes in the morning before, so.. maybe its just groundwork for the future and maybe whatever population does flock here will be more visible. Many who may make this community I feel are not even here yet though. Those are my thoughts at this time. Theres no frikken way people can be biking from far out subdivisions here to get to 301 regularly though. They may have to make a lot of it one straight shot into a newly revamped Parrish downtown.

The rowing team MAY generate a new downtown in Parrish eventually.. I hope thats the case even when I'm long gone because the way it is now, it can't go on. They need a draw to the area for sure.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:18 PM

113 posts, read 343,235 times
I'm 27, married and have 2 kids. And we live in Parrish. Yeah, it's a drive to shops, restaurants etc..but it's very peaceful out here and yet your still close to Sarasota, Tampa and Saint Petersburg. I can't complain.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMommy07 View Post
I'm 27, married and have 2 kids. And we live in Parrish. Yeah, it's a drive to shops, restaurants etc..but it's very peaceful out here and yet your still close to Sarasota, Tampa and Saint Petersburg. I can't complain.
Well I am leaving soon, I know for a fact, couldn't be happier. House is on the market now.

You are younger than me, but probably are so not on my plane of thinking if you love it here at 27 yrs old. A certain type of person likes it here, it sure isnt anyone like me.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:50 PM

113 posts, read 343,235 times
I never said I "loved" it here. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer Sarasota or what not. We just couldn't afford it. I'm just saying it's not that bad. I'm married with a baby and toddler, it's not like I'm going to be hitting up the bars/clubs every weekend. My family is my top priority. So I really don't mind living out here and spending time with them.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:14 AM

22 posts, read 48,436 times
I would think that if they worked on schools in and around Parrish that would also be a draw. Any word on allowing kids to go to Lakewood Ranch from parrish?

Old 02-16-2011, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMommy07 View Post
I never said I "loved" it here. Don't get me wrong, I would prefer Sarasota or what not. We just couldn't afford it. I'm just saying it's not that bad. I'm married with a baby and toddler, it's not like I'm going to be hitting up the bars/clubs every weekend. My family is my top priority. So I really don't mind living out here and spending time with them.
I honestly think that you can afford anything if you plan right. What would you be willing to do without? That sort of thing. The gas costs money to drive from here or say if someone has a car payment. I don't think you save money, but to each their own. Rents/house prices are surely the same here as Sarasota/Tampa area. I don't think its a very friendly area either and definitely not on the roads. No courtesy for a "country charming area". Go out to 301 and I know for a fact it has made me wanna pull my hair out. Less traffic? Not by a ton. I've been less frustrated in the city even.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:09 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Blue kid trapped in a red state kinda fits for me.
Boy, can I relate to this comment! Someone chased me with a shotgun in 2008 because I inadvertently knocked on the wrong door while distributing information about early voting and I was wearing an Obama/Biden button. No matter where I seem to go (the library, McDonalds) someone preaches to me about why I need to repent and confess my sins asap since, according to the Book of Revelation, the End-Times is near.

I swear on my life, it just happened again when I got a gallon of water at the clubhouse an hour ago.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Boy, can I relate to this comment! Someone chased me with a shotgun in 2008 because I inadvertently knocked on the wrong door while distributing information about early voting and I was wearing an Obama/Biden button. No matter where I seem to go (the library, McDonalds) someone preaches to me about why I need to repent and confess my sins asap since, according to the Book of Revelation, the End-Times is near.

I swear on my life, it just happened again when I got a gallon of water at the clubhouse an hour ago.
Conservatards wow.. Those are the ones you gotta look out for like the ones you described. The ones in a constant fear/rage.

What town was this in?

Old 02-17-2011, 04:04 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Conservatards wow.. Those are the ones you gotta look out for like the ones you described. The ones in a constant fear/rage.

What town was this in?
The 2008 incident was in Lee County. We were given a list of registered Democrats to contact to make sure they made it to the polls. Sometimes you knock on a door and other people are living in the house, so you ask if they plan to vote or if they need help getting to the polls. However, this nut I mentioned kept yelling something about ACORN. Nothing happened, and I don't even know if the gun was loaded, so I never reported the incident. But it's not so unusual. I was in Publix and had one item, so a man who was in line said "Go ahead, that is, unless you're voting for Obama." I'm very outspoken, but I don't impose my religious or political views on strangers in a supermarket. I don't care what people talk about in the privacy of their homes or in private meetings, because this is America where we have the First Amendment. However, that doesn't give people the right to blurt out whatever they feel in a public place.

I'm currently living in Port Charlotte. It's worse here (a lot more elderly folks) I can't blame everything on Florida, since people visit from all over the world, but I often need to steer the conversation away from politics or religion.

By the way, I still like Florida. LOL Today it was sunny and 80 degrees and I'm going out now to watch the sunset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area