Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 05:15 AM

169 posts, read 396,634 times

Advertisements

Just curious, would you make a decision to move to Florida based on comments made here?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 05:31 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,667 times
I wouldnt do anything based solely on any information from the internet. It is a good place to gather opinions but it will never replace good old fashioned research

Old 02-04-2011, 06:04 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Anyone that would make any life altering decision based on comments from this or any other internet forum deserves what they get!

Old 02-04-2011, 06:49 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
I wouldnt do anything based solely on any information from the internet. It is a good place to gather opinions but it will never replace good old fashioned research
Agreed. I got snookered into wasting a week in Greenville SC by cheerleaders who took selective pictures and omitted much information about their "fine" city. When I got there, my jaw hit the ground and not in a good way. LOL

Nothing replaces boots on the ground where you are thinking about.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:59 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,536,485 times
No, but I do remember that I found this forum right after we bought our Florida home.
I remember being discouraged and almost second guessing what we had done because of all of the negative posts. Thankfully time has shown us that it was the right thing for us, and we do NOT regret our buy one bit.

The forum is best when it is honest and balanced. No place is perfect, and it is good to discuss problems, etc.

We also need to keep telling folks that Florida is not Mickeyland....and living here is not like your week long Disney vacation. You need a job, and you need to do good research on where you decide to live. You should rent first, as there are a lot of things to watch out for that one learns by renting here first.

For some folks though, it can be a wonderful place to live. I'm SO glad I bought BEFORE finding this forum.....it may have discouraged me from buying here if I believed everything I've read here.

So we need honest posts talking about the problems....but we also need to hear of the many success stories of folks loving it here.

Frank

Old 02-04-2011, 07:32 AM

879 posts, read 1,953,828 times
the internet is all smoke and mirrors. lol

the vibe in this forum, and anyother, changes. I have noticed it's in a more negative mode right now. then there will be a whole wave of "i want to move to sarasota, which exact street should i move my family to if I want my kids to be able to have sleepovers every 2nd thursday of the month? there aren't too many retirees down there are there? Also, do you think i will be able to find a job quick?" posts are those seasonal?

i did find much helpful advice and resources through this forum when we needed info on a particular school and general info about the area. when we came to visit the first time I had some insider info on places to go and things to do with the kids. We came down here multiple times before moving, visited different areas, toured the school, etc. You have to see for yourself. We are a family from Long Island with our own needs and opinions - how can I go by the opinions of a retired widower from rural Tennessee or a 22 year old hipster from Brooklyn?

Old 02-04-2011, 07:37 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,143,097 times
Quote:
retired widower from rural Tennessee
good you pointed that out, i was really feeling sorry for the husband. goes back to the old saying, why do men die before women? they want to.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:39 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
good you pointed that out, i was really feeling sorry for the husband. Goes back to the old saying, why do men die before women? They want to.
rofl

Old 02-04-2011, 07:52 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
after the 4 days of temps below 25, the sleet on Tuesday that never went away and now the snowfall of about 2-7 inches across the DFW area
my husband might very well want to buy a winter house in FL

Old 02-04-2011, 07:55 AM

879 posts, read 1,953,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
good you pointed that out, i was really feeling sorry for the husband. goes back to the old saying, why do men die before women? they want to.
huh? i don't get ya. i was just listing 2 totally random possibilities of people that may be posting. The possibilities may be infinite...

-faux-scrimshaw hobbyist from Altoona w/booming online business
-mid 40s 3-time divorcee from Nova Scotia looking for fun in the sun
-gay rodeo clowns from Texarkana, love the Ringling tradition
-single 19 year old kitesurfer taking a few years off before grad school
-39 year old husband w/wife and 6 kids from Detroit. Really needs a job.

we all have different experiences, don't we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area