Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 05:45 PM

4 posts, read 4,115 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are relocating from up north to the Tampa area and need advice on a nice area/town with a great high school. Looking to go south of the city of Tampa (within about a 40 minute drive) and maybe near the water. Any advise??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 07:47 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,930,209 times
Why would you want to go south of Tampa so far? Gas is pretty expensive right now.

If you're looking to be close to the interstate you might want to try Lakewood Ranch.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:45 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,748,988 times
I agree, while I know people who travel that far, I'd have to ask why you'd want to? There are many places you should probably consider closer to Tampa that will mke your life much, much easier.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Why would you want to go south of Tampa so far? Gas is pretty expensive right now.

If you're looking to be close to the interstate you might want to try Lakewood Ranch.
Lakewood HS looks like a highly rated school so that would be an area of interest. Are you saying the commute is too long to Tampa from Lakewood? The reason we are looking south is that all of our family is in south Fl and we were trying to make the ride to them a bit shorter. Any other suggestions?
I really appreciate your response. Thanks

Old 05-24-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I agree, while I know people who travel that far, I'd have to ask why you'd want to? There are many places you should probably consider closer to Tampa that will mke your life much, much easier.
The reason we are looking south is that all of our family is in south Fl and we were trying to make the ride to them a bit shorter. Do you have any suggestions on areas? We need to be in a really good HS district for our 2 children.
I really appreciate your response. Thanks

Old 05-24-2011, 08:00 AM

I agree that LWRHS is a good school and I certainly don't want to talk you out of buying in LWR. I suppose it depends on where you will be working in Tampa. My sister lives here (in River Club) and drove for a long time to USF regularly but I think the drive got a bit old. I used to drive to central St. Pete for work. That wasn't too bad, I suppose. I guess my thinking runs along these lines: you can drive an hour (or more) each way five times a week but have a shorter drive to your family on the occasions that you visit, or you can live much closer to work (i.e. 10-20 minutes) and drive a longer way to your family on the occasions that you go to visit.
When I moved down to Florida, I had parents in Sarasota and Cape Coral but work in St. Pete. We opted for Bradenton so we could be in the middle, so to speak. We love living here but, in retrospect, living closer to work would have permitted me to both spend more time investing in my business AND spending more time participating with my family. It wasn't a huge deal but it was enough to make me aware that there was a better way to do things. Your situation might be different, though.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:53 AM

Can you or anyone suggest an area where the HS is really good. It's the most important buying point to us. If we have to go further North we will. I agree that a closer commute every day is more important than being closer to family for the once in a while visits. All advise is welcome as we have very little knowledge of the area. Thanks

Old 05-24-2011, 11:28 AM

got salt, start with this website: School Accountability Report and check the high school grades. Tampa is Hillsborough County.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:15 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,930,209 times
Bbronston is right on with what he has said so far. In addition, I would check out www.greatschools.com for opinions on each of the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area