Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:10 PM

386 posts, read 1,015,593 times

Advertisements

Welcome to paradise, you're going to love it! We moved in 2010 from NJ and won't be going (or looking) back. As a previous poster said, 'It's a no brainer.' Glad the kiddies and kitties arrived safely. They'll all enjoy chasing the geckos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 05:02 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,152,641 times
as above -welcome to the area

Old 06-28-2011, 05:16 AM

490 posts, read 624,333 times
Welcome! Everyone here was so helpful when we moved down. It would have been much harder without the great advice from all the CD'ers. I drove a Uhaul while my wife drove one of our cars with the 2 dogs. Not fun but totally worth the effort. We are in North Port but drive up to Sarasota often. We go to Venice beach which is a little closer and quieter than Siesta. It doesn't have the same white sand but it's just as beautiful. Enjoy SWFL. I know we are!

Old 06-28-2011, 06:19 AM

531 posts, read 1,162,260 times
Default Moving??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
K & J, any news on selling your house?
Except for our house being spotless, and except for those "for sale" signs on our property, you'd never know it was for sale! As soon as the gas prices went up and unemployment got to a new high, our house showings slowed right down. We, unfortunately, chose a bad economy in which to sell.......but.......we haven't lost hope. We firmly believe that someone is out there who wants a vintage home, and they'll show up eventually. At this rate, we might have to spend another dreaded winter here, but we'll get there to the land of sunshine in the near future....we're sure of it! Thanks for thinking of us, Jill!

Old 06-28-2011, 06:59 AM

219 posts, read 677,185 times
Default j&k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen and Jim View Post
Except for our house being spotless, and except for those "for sale" signs on our property, you'd never know it was for sale! As soon as the gas prices went up and unemployment got to a new high, our house showings slowed right down. We, unfortunately, chose a bad economy in which to sell.......but.......we haven't lost hope. We firmly believe that someone is out there who wants a vintage home, and they'll show up eventually. At this rate, we might have to spend another dreaded winter here, but we'll get there to the land of sunshine in the near future....we're sure of it! Thanks for thinking of us, Jill!
jim did ya find the barber shop i sent you too: LoL

Old 06-28-2011, 07:19 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarabella View Post
I had lots of great advice before the great move from Maryland and have been so busy but wanted to post just to update whoever might be interested....
We arrived by Autotrain 6/16/11, me and the two kids. It wasn't bad at all, even for sleeping in a closet all night. The Autotrain staff were great and were even able to provide gluten free meal for my 4 year old.

My husband's trip with the cats was somewhat uneventful. I definitely recommend Acepromazine to anyone driving long distance with a cat (or two). He did stop overnight with a friend in NC, kept the cats in the garage and lost one of them for a few hours (found hiding behind a piano).

The drive from Sanford to Sarasota was a piece of cake and we arrived around 1pm as the movers were finishing up. Our Uship movers were great! They cost around $2k less than a 'national' mover, some stuff was banged up a little but they left Maryland on Tues evening and delivered to Sarasota Thursday am.

So we've spent the past week or so shopping, swimming and loving Sarasota! People have been so friendly and helpful. Compared to Baltimore, Sarasota seems very small with everything we need right on the doorstep....and great shopping!!

We love the beach, the Gulf is so warm and the sand at Siesta Key is amazing. Yes, it's hot here but so is Maryland and at least I wont be digging out of 20+ inches of snow next January

Thanks again everyone for your input before, hope I didn't bore to tears and hope to encourage anyone else planning to take the plunge.
Claire
Welcome Claire!
Glad you made it safe and sound, and thanks for keeping us updated. I was wondering how you made out!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 AM

275 posts, read 715,393 times
Hi Claire, thanks for the update and tips (Acepromazine & Uship); we;ll take both into consideration.

Glad everything worked itself out!

Signed:
Jealous in Ohio

Old 06-28-2011, 05:46 PM

531 posts, read 1,162,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41mag View Post
jim did ya find the barber shop i sent you too: LoL
Well, we're still living in NY, but when we get there, I'm going to try it out....thanks again!

Old 06-29-2011, 07:55 PM

125 posts, read 197,252 times
Hi Blakesq..
What's funny is that we had tried very hard to move to CT from MD to be near family but just couldn't do it. Our $ was not worth enough up there.
We were lucky enough to sell our house in MD before move and just about broke even (don't count years of v high mortgage payments and 100K of improvements, we consider ourselves lucky). Anyway, we're renting in a gated community in Gulf Gate for approx 1/2 cost of our MD mortgage. We signed a one year lease and will start looking to buy in about 4-6 months.

I love Sarasota and mean no offense to any locals but a big surprise re neighborhoods is how um...'70's looking lots of places are. Not that there's anything wrong with that it's just a bit of a culture shock....many streets well groomed and great trees, yards etc with very square, flat houses, just not something I've ever seen It is very different from MD and worlds apart from CT (if you live any where near my in laws in Greenwich

Well, I'm rambling but again, SO glad to be here, love the weather and the sky, birds, ocean, and SHOPS!!
Claire

Old 07-01-2011, 06:07 PM

440 posts, read 1,053,045 times
The 70's look is typical of Gulf Gate but not of all Sarasota. Drive around the area behind Sarasota Memorial, Midnight Pass on Siesta Key, Palmer Ranch or along the various University Parkway developments for different looks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area