Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 12:22 AM

157 posts, read 389,345 times

Advertisements

I've just had a corian worktop installed by ikea and it looks amazing it was half the price of everybody else. They out source to a company in tampa but they do have an office in fort myers who came to template. As we were going back to europe in a hurry they pulled out all the stops to get it templated and fitted within a week, which is amazing, they finished fitting the countertiop half an hour beforre we had to leave for the airport. It's been the easiet part of remodelling. As for carpet when i was looking Bob's carpet on US41 just before siesta south bridge is more competitive than big box stores. I decided to stick with the terrazo and get it polished which i'm really pleased about as I have a 2 year old that throws everything on the floor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 05:23 PM

142 posts, read 354,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krh6609 View Post
DON"T USE THE BIG BOX STORES! Believe me! I've been in the floorcovering industry for 25 years and am not in your area, so not trying to sell you anything. Big box ( Lowe's, Home depot etc) do NOT specialize in the installation of their products. Most of the tradesmen they contract with are sub-standard in comparison to mant smaller/private operations. They pay less-than-standard rates and have a significantly higher complaint rate. The $ 99.00 installation is a scam that is made up for in the over charge of the materials. Believe me, I own a flooring shop in Colorado and I always beat the Box stores by 10-20% and the work is done by seasoned installers that I have direct input with. Find a local retailer who has been in business for the past 10 yrs minimum and get a few referrals from them. It is EXTREMELY important that you feel comfortable with them and have a comparable bid. This is a big investment and not the time to try to " bargain". Most reputable retailers are comparable in price and will give you what you are willing to invest.
I second this. How can they pay a sub to install a houseful for $99? That would make for a rush job. I know how they pay plumbers to install heaters, not enough. Corners will get cut somewhere.

Rug Mart in osprey has been there for at least 18 yrs. I've used them and been happy.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:54 PM

113 posts, read 223,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnerdun View Post
I second this. How can they pay a sub to install a houseful for $99? That would make for a rush job. I know how they pay plumbers to install heaters, not enough. Corners will get cut somewhere.

Rug Mart in osprey has been there for at least 18 yrs. I've used them and been happy.
I work at Lowe's, and when we have those installation deals we're actually losing money. We pay our installers a lot more than what the customers pay us. The whole point of those promos is to get the person's business. Usually if they buy one thing from us (say, a cheap flooring install), they're more likely to buy other things (like brand new appliances).

I will say that installation services can definitely be hit-or-miss with the big box stores. My advice would be to find out who the store uses to do the labor and check on that company. I work in Home Decor (not in FL yet) and the guys who do installation for our blinds are amazing - I've heard this repeatedly from many customers. But I know that installers for other departments aren't necessarily as awesome.

I'm not saying you should or should not go big-box, just giving the other side of that argument.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:02 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelavie View Post
I work at Lowe's, and when we have those installation deals we're actually losing money. We pay our installers a lot more than what the customers pay us. The whole point of those promos is to get the person's business. Usually if they buy one thing from us (say, a cheap flooring install), they're more likely to buy other things (like brand new appliances).

I will say that installation services can definitely be hit-or-miss with the big box stores. My advice would be to find out who the store uses to do the labor and check on that company. I work in Home Decor (not in FL yet) and the guys who do installation for our blinds are amazing - I've heard this repeatedly from many customers. But I know that installers for other departments aren't necessarily as awesome.

I'm not saying you should or should not go big-box, just giving the other side of that argument.
That's what I was told as well. I asked the guy from Lowe's who installs our carpet how he can make it being paid only $99. He told me that he gets paid the going rate for doing the carpet and Lowe's just takes a loss on it. The logic was the same as explained above-if they can get you in the door to buy the carpet, then hopefully you'll buy other things as well.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:18 AM

142 posts, read 354,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelavie View Post

Thanks for posting, it is good to hear the real scoop from someone on the inside. Cleared a lot of foggy info.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:15 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
That's what I was told as well. I asked the guy from Lowe's who installs our carpet how he can make it being paid only $99. He told me that he gets paid the going rate for doing the carpet and Lowe's just takes a loss on it. The logic was the same as explained above-if they can get you in the door to buy the carpet, then hopefully you'll buy other things as well.
Many years ago I worked for a subcontractor that installed for Bob's Carpet Mart in St Pete.

The situation was similar there; the salesperson could sometimes cut the installation fee (as a way to get the sale), but it didn't change what we were paid. Either Bob's or the salesperson was eating the discount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area