Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 07:03 AM

216 posts, read 565,314 times

Advertisements

Hi:

My wife has to travel to Sarasota for 3 days next week. She is going on an interview at Sarasota Memorial Hospital. Wish I could get out of this cold in Connecticut for a few days, but I'm stuck here for now. We are looking for hotels in the area for her to stay at. Web sites list Southwest Sarasota area - Downtown area (airport) - East Sarasota. We are on a bit of a budget, but not rock bottom. Which area is better? Are there areas she should avoid since she is traveling alone? Or is any area fine? Neither one of us has ever been in Sarasota except driving past it on I-75. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You! Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 07:13 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,561,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandaija2009 View Post
Hi:

My wife has to travel to Sarasota for 3 days next week. She is going on an interview at Sarasota Memorial Hospital. Wish I could get out of this cold in Connecticut for a few days, but I'm stuck here for now. We are looking for hotels in the area for her to stay at. Web sites list Southwest Sarasota area - Downtown area (airport) - East Sarasota. We are on a bit of a budget, but not rock bottom. Which area is better? Are there areas she should avoid since she is traveling alone? Or is any area fine? Neither one of us has ever been in Sarasota except driving past it on I-75. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You! Mike
First of all, best wishes on the interview. I loved Sarasota when we were visiting that area, and were it not for our sun sensitivities, I would want to live there myself.

We stayed at a vacation park in Fruitville in our RV, so I cannot help you with the hotel recommendation, but I can tell you that I didn't see any area that I would not be comfortable in traveling by myself, and I am a very cautious woman.

This was a short pictorial recap of our experience in Sarasota:
RAWH Feb 2010

Old 01-22-2012, 07:49 AM

285 posts, read 639,938 times
The Days Inn and Comfort Inn at the intersection of I-75 (exit 207) and Bee Ridge Road are good budget options. The two are right next to each other. I've stayed in each one on my visits to Sarasota while house hunting. The area is safe and the condition of the rooms is good for the price.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:17 AM

275 posts, read 715,762 times
Both of the Holiday Inn Express hotels are nice. The one across from the airport seems to be in a more industrial setting, but recently renovated rooms are very nice. Our usual place is their Lakewood Ranch location, off University & I-75.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:43 PM

547 posts, read 928,009 times
No easy answer to such a simple question.There are so many choices and opinions.Does she want to do anything else while she is here? I would stay away from the airport unless the convenience is the utmost, like an early flight out. Even then, I would only spend the last night there.
There is a Best Western almost across the street from Memorial Hospital.
The suggestion of the Bee Ridge exit hotels is a good one too.
The area to avoid would be Newtown. Google map it.
If you research and ask about a certain hotel you will get more specific answers.
BTW, good luck to your wife. (our daughter in law is a nurse)

Old 01-22-2012, 02:29 PM

810 posts, read 1,183,685 times
We often stay at the Marriott across from the airport. Great location for everything. Moderately priced and she'll feel safe there.

Best of luck on the interview!

Old 01-22-2012, 04:48 PM

216 posts, read 565,314 times
Thank you all for your responses. They are greatly appreciated. I know I stated we were a little budget minded, but the most important thing is that my wife is safe. She's not looking for to much to do after her interview because if everything goes well she'll be having an orientation right after. Hopefully someone can recommend a place that is clean, SAFE, and close to a few restaurants to grab a bite to eat. Again thank you all for your time. Mike

Old 01-22-2012, 06:07 PM

547 posts, read 928,009 times
I suggest the Best Western Midtown. She can walk to SMH. Plenty of restaurants nearby.SMH has a nice cafeteria.
Square 1 Burger, Panera bread, Starbucks and fast food are real close. Many others are just a few miles away. 41, the road SMH is on is the main drag through town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandaija2009 View Post
Thank you all for your responses. They are greatly appreciated. I know I stated we were a little budget minded, but the most important thing is that my wife is safe. She's not looking for to much to do after her interview because if everything goes well she'll be having an orientation right after. Hopefully someone can recommend a place that is clean, SAFE, and close to a few restaurants to grab a bite to eat. Again thank you all for your time. Mike

Old 01-22-2012, 06:37 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,129,032 times
We really enjoyed the location of the hotels right across University from the airport. There is a Hyatt Place, Hampton Inn, Courtyard Marriott, Residence Inn Marriott, and Extended Stay. Close to downtown and the beaches and you can also shoot out University and find a lot of dining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area