Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 01:28 PM

103 posts, read 381,224 times

Advertisements

Would anyone care to throw out some comparisons of these areas in terms of how close to nature/wildness one feels in each city. Broad and general is fine. When I say "Tampa" or "Fort Myers" I mean the general area, not necessarily the heart of the city, which of course would be decidedly urban. I have small children and it is so very important to my husband and I that they grow up with that connection to nature ... hiking, swimming, fishing,etc. And when you have small kids it's nice when the outdoorsy things are either 1. in your own back yard or 2. within a short driving distance, as packing up two kids plus gear is a pain We like real nature not the fakey stuff ( you know, where all the plants are dependent on sprinkler systems and the trees are growing up through little holes in the cement. How awful! ) Here in the SF Bay area everything green that you see in the summer is due to being watered as there is NO rain for most of the year. Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 01:48 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature1 View Post
Would anyone care to throw out some comparisons of these areas in terms of how close to nature/wildness one feels in each city. Broad and general is fine. When I say "Tampa" or "Fort Myers" I mean the general area, not necessarily the heart of the city, which of course would be decidedly urban. I have small children and it is so very important to my husband and I that they grow up with that connection to nature ... hiking, swimming, fishing,etc. And when you have small kids it's nice when the outdoorsy things are either 1. in your own back yard or 2. within a short driving distance, as packing up two kids plus gear is a pain We like real nature not the fakey stuff ( you know, where all the plants are dependent on sprinkler systems and the trees are growing up through little holes in the cement. How awful! ) Here in the SF Bay area everything green that you see in the summer is due to being watered as there is NO rain for most of the year. Thanks so much!!!
I can't speak for Ft. Myers, but live in Sarasota and this area is abundant in nature and wildlife! There are many beautiful parks and preserves, the beaches, rivers, bays and all the fauna and flora that goes with it. The whole area is lush with foliage.

Areas of Tampa will have this, too, but being a larger and more urban city won't feel as lush. As you know, all of Florida is surrounded by water and gets a lot of rain, so it's humid here much of the year. But the upside is all our beautiful greenery.

Come take a visit!

Old 01-24-2012, 02:34 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,547,697 times
You are going to find parks with nature and outdoor activities in each one of the cities. Here are some links where you can read about each area:

Sarasota County - http://www.scgov.net/ParksandRecreation/default.asp
Sarasota County is home to some of the most in-demand beaches, trails, parks and recreation facilities. With more than 200 parks, 109 athletic fields, 16 recreation and community centers, miles of pristine beaches and more than 2000 acres of open space parkland Sarasota County Parks and Recreation offers something for everyone!

Tampa - http://www.tampagov.net/dept_parks_and_recreation/
Tampa is located in Hillsborough County - http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/parks/
The department operates 176 neighborhood parks and playgrounds countywide, 265 athletic fields, 40 recreation centers, 10 regional parks, more than 727 miles of trail, as well as 61,000 acres of preserved lands acquired through the Environmental Lands Acquisition and Protection Program (ELAPP).Hillsborough County Parks, Recreation and Conservation Department offers boating, bicycling, campsites, canoeing, concerts, cultural happenings, festivals, hiking, horseback riding, meeting facilities, nature sturdy, picnic shelters, swimming, nature programs, and more. Leave life's daily pressures behind and reconnect with nature and your family at a nearby County park.

Ft Myers – Lee County - http://www.leeparks.org/

Florida Parks and Beaches - http://www.floridaparks.com/floridabeaches/southwest/lee_county.htm

Old 01-24-2012, 02:42 PM

Really appreciate you taking the time to help with some info. I vacationed in sw Florida all the time growing up but its been a while. I think this summer calls for a family vacation to get a first hand feel for the area. Best wishes.l

Old 01-24-2012, 02:45 PM

529 posts, read 1,008,699 times
Agree with the previous posts and I love the natural scenery around Sarasota but Fort Myers/Naples might beat Sarasota simply because of their proximity to the Everglades and Ten Thousand Islands. Lots of unspoiled area down there.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:18 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature1 View Post

Well you'll have nature here for sure. Yah... and it WILL be right in your own backyard, or maybe front yard, or back porch.

My neighbor opened his front door at noon and was greeted by a 6' alligator ! Nearly had a heart attack, the police arrived and subdued the gator, taped it up etc. It was a good 6 ft. long, not big by FL standards either. Do not take your kids into a lake or a pond, they are not real lakes anyhow. They call mud puddles lakes here. You didn't ask about snakes .... that's a whole other subject. Yes, they CAN enter your house through plumbing, or through roof vents.

If it isn't gators, it's every bug and critter known to man in the state called Florida. It's a swamp. Better do your research on wanting to hike trails and do "nature" stuff here. Seriously. I wouldn't let my young'uns out of my site !

Old 01-25-2012, 12:16 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,077 times
i got my first taste of Florida's "nature" two weeks ago when we were down clearing our lot. BIG black snake went slithering away right in front of us. BIG. Like 3 feet long. And FAST! Good thing he was going in the opposite direction or I'd 've been on the roof of the car!!

Old 01-25-2012, 12:48 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,678,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
i got my first taste of Florida's "nature" two weeks ago when we were down clearing our lot. BIG black snake went slithering away right in front of us. BIG. Like 3 feet long. And FAST! Good thing he was going in the opposite direction or I'd 've been on the roof of the car!!
He's a friendly, don't worry I've come to love our resident black snake, No Feet. He eats all the smaller icky things around. I usually don't see him until I almost step on him & then he's gone in a flash.

Funny how mellow I've become with critters since moving here. Other than cockroaches Those meet the bottom of my shoe rather quickly! I barely even look twice at small gators anymore.

Myakka is awesome for up close & personal. I highly recommend the airboat ride!

Old 01-25-2012, 01:15 PM

Default thx mrs. cool

sounds scary! But guess it comes with the territory

Old 01-25-2012, 03:13 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,137 times
It really does come with the territory. We've been here 6 months now and I'm no longer a screaming idiot when I see a bug, I'm Darth Vader!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area