Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 03:18 PM

157 posts, read 389,375 times

Advertisements

Hi

Watching the weather from Europe and have been watching the web cam and reading the HT. Has Siesta Key been evacuated? does anybody know the current flood levels there. Do I need to get my handy man to put the shutters up?

Any advice would be appreciated very much, can't sleep at the mo, with the worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 04:02 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,550,239 times
Here is a photo from yesterday and we have gotten a lot more rain since then.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Siesta Key.jpg
Views:	8991
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	97520

Old 06-25-2012, 04:06 PM

913 posts, read 2,362,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siestachica View Post
Hi

Watching the weather from Europe and have been watching the web cam and reading the HT. Has Siesta Key been evacuated? does anybody know the current flood levels there. Do I need to get my handy man to put the shutters up?

Any advice would be appreciated very much, can't sleep at the mo, with the worry.
I drove out there yesterday and there was alot of water in the streets. Up by the village there was a spot about a foot deep, of course I still had to drive through it. The waves on the beach road closest to the village were going up and over the road. Of course that section of road has already been closed for years.I wouldn't be as worried about the winds as the water level. Although in IMHO we have seen the worst of the rain, but not the last. My guess it will rain a bit tomorrow and then stop. They are calling for a very high tide this evening. It will interesting to see what the beach looks like when this is done.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:59 PM

blimey doesn't sound good, maybe i could get the handyman to put some sand bags at the doors, the corner of my lot floods under normal circumstances, thanks for the insights

Old 06-25-2012, 05:19 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,007 times
We've been out driving a few times today. There are the usual spots of water on Siesta Drive & Midnight Pass. I haven't been to the village or on beach rd. but we've seen people driving to & from. It never takes much to flood that area regardless. The beach pic is crazy though!

A few low laying yards have standing water & few tree branches down. But honestly, it's not as bad as what we expected...

Our dock is partially flooded & our pool is almost spilling over but it could be a lot worse... I've been watching the radar like a hawk & it seems the worst of it has already moved through. I'm sure we'll get some random spurts of rain & wind for next several hours though.

As I'm typing this, the sky is gray with some wind but no rain.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:43 PM

913 posts, read 2,362,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siestachica View Post
blimey doesn't sound good, maybe i could get the handyman to put some sand bags at the doors, the corner of my lot floods under normal circumstances, thanks for the insights
Honestly, it's probably too late right now. If it was going to flood, it already has.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:09 PM

8,251 posts, read 4,666,091 times
Debby brings flooding to Bay Island on Siesta Key | HeraldTribune.com (click for full article)

"SIESTA KEY - In the Bay Island neighborhood on Siesta Key, two boys rowing a yellow sea kayak warn drivers that they're headed for trouble.

“It's 20 inches over there!” yells 10-year-old Rocco DiCarlo, who has seen two cars choke and stall in the salt water streets.

Several blocks on Siesta Key were flooded Tuesday, with as much as 20 inches of moat surrounding homes along the shoreline.

At Hamilton Avenue and Norsota Way, a 10-inch duct that is supposed to drain water from the street into the Gulf is flowing the other way as Tropical Storm Debby lingers and soaks the barrier islands.

It's too early for damage estimates, but some homes are visibily flooded with water filling front yards and seeping through garages and front doors.

Rocco and his younger brother, 8-year-old Niko, have spent the last two days rowing through the side streets along Siesta drive, where dozens of residents are home-bound and defending homes against the coming high tide."

Old 06-26-2012, 04:35 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
We rode our bikes down to Siesta Key this afternoon and Crescent Beach was completely flooded. From about four parking spots in, maybe a few more, as far as we could see was flooded and I wasn't trekking through snake infested waters to see how far up the water was.

We went down through the village and it was okay but the streets behind it around beach accesses three and four were flooded.

Most of the waterfront restaurants were closed yesterday (Boatyard, Salty Dog, etc) but seemed to have reopened for business today.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:01 PM

thks everybody, have been trying to contact the siesta key association as their president lives in my road, I know my neighbour had water in her garage on sunday night and she lives 2 houses away, hopefully am safe...fingers crossed

Old 06-27-2012, 06:16 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
I had to mail package at FedEx Monday
went to one on Tamiami across from the Sarasota Hospital which is semi close to Siesta Key
there was guy in there who lives on Siesta who said that water was coming out his elevator shaft--the opening over the doors--
that the roof drains could not deal with the amount of rain that was captured on condo's roof and water was going down any way it could

did not say where his bldg was specifically
but even if you weren't getting flooding from street level, you might have problem with water coming down from the roof

Sunday night rain was hitting the window above my bed so loudly it woke me up--sounded like hail--which I am pretty familiar with

any time you make trip to FL and have to buy TWO umbrellas to deal with the rain, it is not a good sign...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area