Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:41 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times

Advertisements

We just bought new bikes from Sears this spring. (You have Sears down there, right?) $199. each. They're Schwinns. Big old seats on them, one speed-forward. Coaster brakes...they're pretty sweet. Mine's pink. mr.cool's is black. We ride them on the bike trail by our house, used to be a railroad track. No spandex required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 01:38 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,689,502 times
what is the point of 10, 15 or 21 speed bikes here in sw florida?

Old 07-18-2012, 02:25 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
How else are you supposed to get over the Ringling Bridge?

Old 07-18-2012, 02:32 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,000,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
If you're using it for exercise, a moderate workout would require you to maintain 15mph for say 30-40 minutes.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:49 PM

30 posts, read 65,225 times
Thanks everyone! This is all very helpful. I have heard a lot about Trek and Gary Fisher and have even seen a few in my neighborhood. I'm thinking a hybrid would be the best fit. The main purpose of the bike would be for fun (and exercise at the same time) and I would most likely only be riding it on the neighborhood streets. I agree that size and comfort and foremost important especially since I haven't been on one in a while.

Has anyone had any experience with a local bike retailer (preferably close to LWR)? What would you suggest is a good price to pay for a new Trek or Gary Fisher?

Old 07-19-2012, 05:06 AM

547 posts, read 927,060 times
Village Bikes has a store somewhere in LWR. From a quick search it looks like they may have moved to downtown LWR.
Ringling cycles is on Manatee Bradenton. Other than that you have the two I previously mentioned.They all have been here awhile and have a good reputation.

There is not much margin (profit) on a new bike. That and there should be some kind of MSRP. It protects the dealer.
You may find a leftover last years model,etc on sale but don't expect much. Maybe they will add a water bottle cage / bottle or give a good price on a computer or other accessory.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:56 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Don't forget Ryder Bikes (they sell Trek and Giant and not sure what else) on Cortez in Bradenton. I found their prices to be just a little bit better, and it is the most convenient bike shop to where I live. They have always treated me right, there.

Good luck, have fun choosing!

Old 07-19-2012, 07:06 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
There is a Trek dealer in town where Osprey ends at 41.

I think new they are $800 and I've seen them as high as $3500.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:02 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple crown View Post
Thanks everyone! This is all very helpful. I have heard a lot about Trek and Gary Fisher and have even seen a few in my neighborhood. I'm thinking a hybrid would be the best fit. The main purpose of the bike would be for fun (and exercise at the same time) and I would most likely only be riding it on the neighborhood streets. I agree that size and comfort and foremost important especially since I haven't been on one in a while.

Has anyone had any experience with a local bike retailer (preferably close to LWR)? What would you suggest is a good price to pay for a new Trek or Gary Fisher?
I don't know which brands they carry but Village Bikes is on Lakewood Main Street. I bought a Specialized Globe comfort bike about three years back from Ringling Bicycles on Manatee Avenue. I tend to research the heck out of things when I buy so they probably had the best price at the time. They were definitly good to deal with. I traded a cruiser in on it and they gave me more than I expected. I think I paid about $300 when it was all said and done. Of course, I haven't hardly used the thing but it looks nice on my lanai!

Old 06-19-2014, 11:54 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Just an update to an old thread--
we (DH and I) bought Electra Townie 7d for us this morning from Internaltional Bikes in south Venice...
nice guy names Steve worked with us--
went by yesterday but only had sandals and didn't want to try riding in them

went to Real Bikes today cause they were close and rode a Giant which was a rental and would have thus been less expensive and a different brand w/o the forward pedals of a Townie--about same price as Townie--
didn't feel right--felt too big...

went back and rode Townies and we both liked them better--
will pick up tomorrow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area