Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 09:24 AM

7 posts, read 64,870 times

Advertisements

Hi. My wife and I are retiring in the near future and will be selling our home in Northern Virginia. We have friends who purchased a vacation condo in Venice and have invited us several times to spend a week with them, which we have, and really like it. We've come both in the summer and winter and I have been so surprised that I've seen very few bugs of any kind. I have read the threads here for awhile and have read about "things people don't like", among them bugs. I would have thought in such a tropical climate I'd see way more. Have I just been lucky, or are those critters just good a hiding on me? We live near a wooded area now and have our house sprayed quarterly just to keep insects away. Presume that is needed there as well? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 09:38 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
I haven't seen a single cockroach or palmetto bug since I've been here and that's been a year and a half.

We did get a few hundred love bugs stuck to the front of our car on the way back from Myakka State Park yesterday.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:33 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,544,071 times
Yes, love bug season is upon us. They stick to your car, even when I am trying to clean it.

As far as other bugs and critters, just use a pest control company and they do come out quarterly to spray. You can have inside and outside done. Also, you may want to have your lawn done for an extra fee to get rid of fire ants and other insects. And don't forget termite protection, that is separate too.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:06 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,973 times
Bugs are a NON issue. Hire a pest control company and you won't see many. The little lizards and birds eat what the bug man doesn't get!

Old 05-10-2013, 12:43 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Haven't seen many in the year we've been here. I was expecting to be overrun with palmetto bugs and spiders... And I've seen exactly none. The only thing we have a ton of is lizards but they are so cute, love them.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:01 AM

509 posts, read 906,993 times
When I moved here the very first time, in 2003, we saw palmettos quite often. We visited all around Fl. too, and this was the case everywhere we went. Now I very rarely see one. I wonder if there are fewer of them than there used to be?

Old 05-14-2013, 12:36 PM

137 posts, read 331,020 times
If you were staying at a condo, most likely the condo association takes care of pest control.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:40 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,199 times
ii must say, in the three years i've lived here (in a development north of university) i've seen nothing but lizards, frogs and love bugs. No palmetto bugs. I used to see them 30 years ago in Miami, but not here. maybe our neighborhood is too snooty to allow "bugs".

Old 05-15-2013, 12:43 PM

7 posts, read 64,870 times
Thanks all - that's great news.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:27 PM

440 posts, read 1,052,427 times
We have so many of those cute little lizards and different size frogs, tons of birds that I guess it keeps things under control. We did have a problem with ghost ants (very tiny ants) and had to have pest control in 3 x to get it under control. I discovered that Kaboom toilet cleaner sprayed around our windows inside and out completely got rid of normal sized ants. Everyone laughs when I tell them. I'd rather use that than some nasty insecticide tho it makes me wonder how toxic the toilet bowl spray might be to us. I have tons more bugs up in NJ than in Fla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area