Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 05:25 PM

155 posts, read 1,053,035 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Crappy NY state and married with 3 small children and want to move to Northport/Venice area. I have been contemplating a move to Florida for years, but was certain factors were always keeping me from making the jump, job, family, now hurricanes are scary.

I am primarily interested in Venice area. Just got back from 3 days in the area and the schools seem good,(Talor Ranch, Venice Middle, Venice Elementery, Venice High School.

Is it really difficult to find a job here? I
am currently working for NY State in Customer Service/Accounts Payable and Payroll. Are there any jobs like this available or is it mainly retail in Venice/Northport/Sarasota? I dont know if it is worth giving up my house, okay job here in NY to live in an apartment or rent a home to ENJOY the sun everyday as I am depressed from these horrid winters.

Apartments condsidering:
Woodmere off Jacaranda Blvd.
Riley Chase-Northport
Grand Court- Northport

Maybe renting a house, could I get one for 700/month?

I love Florida, it has always been in my heart to live there, but I dont want to make a huge mistake, and put my faimly at risk with no decent jobs. My cousin got a job with Publix as a selector full-time , but he is breaking his ass as they are always hiring due to high turnover.

Thanks

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 10:06 PM

354 posts, read 1,273,626 times
Default We live in South Venice

The city of Venice is expensive homes (not all but most). The joke you will hear is the Old people live in Sarasota and their parents live in Venice.
Not all of Venice is "the City". We live in So. Venice and we are in under Sarasota county juristiction. (We live near end of jacaranda near woodmere). So. Venice is more working class, retirees and some younger familes. It was booming until the past year. I could have bought a house up the street for $120K a couple of months ago - move-in condition. 2 years ago would have been $225K. It ended up on a lease-option and somone has moved in already.

Jobs are tough and economy is/was driven by home building.. Look in the Venice Gondolier, Sarasota Herald on-line for local news, jobs, rentals. You may be able to find a house for the price you want to rent for.

We like Venice a lot and think it's a safe place, good schools and nice lifestyle. Close to Sarasota - artsy town. More beaches than a normal person can handle. -
If it was me I would get a house - not that many apartments here.

It's a real risk giving up the good job for better weather. That's what we did. Wife got a transfer from up north so it was an easier decision. Me i'm still looking. I had a business that didn't work out and sold it at a loss.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:46 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunoAqua View Post
I am currently living in Crappy NY state and married with 3 small children and want to move to Northport/Venice area. I have been contemplating a move to Florida for years, but was certain factors were always keeping me from making the jump, job, family, now hurricanes are scary.

I am primarily interested in Venice area. Just got back from 3 days in the area and the schools seem good,(Talor Ranch, Venice Middle, Venice Elementery, Venice High School.

Is it really difficult to find a job here? I
am currently working for NY State in Customer Service/Accounts Payable and Payroll. Are there any jobs like this available or is it mainly retail in Venice/Northport/Sarasota? I dont know if it is worth giving up my house, okay job here in NY to live in an apartment or rent a home to ENJOY the sun everyday as I am depressed from these horrid winters.

Apartments condsidering:
Woodmere off Jacaranda Blvd.
Riley Chase-Northport
Grand Court- Northport

Maybe renting a house, could I get one for 700/month?

I love Florida, it has always been in my heart to live there, but I dont want to make a huge mistake, and put my faimly at risk with no decent jobs. My cousin got a job with Publix as a selector full-time , but he is breaking his ass as they are always hiring due to high turnover.

Thanks

Thanks for the help.
Juno, with all due respect you have been asking the same question for months now. I can see you want to move here badly, but asking the question over and over won't change the answer - THERE IS NO JOB MARKET HERE! You will be sorry, this is a big jump to make without your ducks in a row. Maybe the only way you will find out is to do it, but then it's too late.

Please heed all the previous answers you have gotten to your queries, people are telling it like it is. You have a family to look after, so it's more complicated than taking a chance moving by yourself. You may be depressed by the horrid winters, but it's nothing compared to the depression you will feel by not having/getting a job, or not being able to feed your family.

Good luck to you.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:27 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Juno, with all due respect you have been asking the same question for months now. I can see you want to move here badly, but asking the question over and over won't change the answer - THERE IS NO JOB MARKET HERE! You will be sorry, this is a big jump to make without your ducks in a row. Maybe the only way you will find out is to do it, but then it's too late.

Please heed all the previous answers you have gotten to your queries, people are telling it like it is. You have a family to look after, so it's more complicated than taking a chance moving by yourself. You may be depressed by the horrid winters, but it's nothing compared to the depression you will feel by not having/getting a job, or not being able to feed your family.

Good luck to you.
Great advice!

Save money up & come down here on vacations. This whole stretch of FL is suffering. Yes, there are jobs- If you want to work with your cousin, there you go, there is a job & that is what 99% of the jobs along this stretch of FL are like. There is also a WalMart distribution center. There is construction that is quickly fading. After that, to each their own.

Again, it's a nice place to vacation. It's not so nice of a place to live (let's factor out the weather for common sense sake).

Old 10-16-2007, 04:04 PM

155 posts, read 1,053,035 times
Thanks for the advice, you all gave good answers even though it breaks my heart. How are all the other people in this area surviving?? I guess the only way I would come down is if I got a job, but to quit my job here and go down cold would not be a good idea I guess. Thanks God Bless

Old 10-16-2007, 04:39 PM

523 posts, read 2,830,522 times
THe area you are looking into to is very expensive to rent in. JObs are not good either.
If you truly want to move to FLorida find a job first. Verizon is hiring like crazy
Customer Service/sales associates, they get top pay with experience ( 20.00 per hr with full benefits paid for you) THe jobs are in Downtown Tampa. So you would need to live in Tampa or outskirts. Good luck on job hunting.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:42 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunoAqua View Post
Thanks for the advice, you all gave good answers even though it breaks my heart. How are all the other people in this area surviving?? I guess the only way I would come down is if I got a job, but to quit my job here and go down cold would not be a good idea I guess. Thanks God Bless
Entreprenuers who started years & years ago, business owners who started years & years ago, & older people who pick up a job that pays squat b/c they are living off of their retirement money. The reality TODAY is not good & what you see, which is nothing, is what is the reality. To pick up & move here without a job is a serious mistake & just not worth it for warm weather.

We moved to the Fort Myers area due to a job & they are transferring all their SW FL, SE FL, & central FL branches to Jax. Wouldn't mind living in Jax, but we are wanting to be as far away from FL as possible & a much better situation has luckily occurred where we want to live.

Best of luck. There are other areas of FL that are not in such dire straits as SW FL if you are really wanting FL as a destination.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:04 PM

9 posts, read 8,026 times
I was wondering if areas like Anna Maria and Siesta Key and Long Boat Key are still good places to live in or move to. Or would central Florida or the Florida pan handle be a better choice?

Old 10-17-2007, 06:24 AM

354 posts, read 1,273,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Garcia View Post
I was wondering if areas like Anna Maria and Siesta Key and Long Boat Key are still good places to live in or move to. Or would central Florida or the Florida pan handle be a better choice?
If you got $$$$ - LBK and SK is big $$$$ very desireable area. I knew someone that lived on Siesta but moved to mainland sarasota. In season it can be hard to get on/off - only 2 bridges. Anna Maria I don't know that much. It's nice.....

I don't know anything about the panhandle

Old 10-17-2007, 12:32 PM

4,896 posts, read 14,142,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle View Post
If you got $$$$ - LBK and SK is big $$$$ very desireable area. I knew someone that lived on Siesta but moved to mainland sarasota. In season it can be hard to get on/off - only 2 bridges. Anna Maria I don't know that much. It's nice.....

I don't know anything about the panhandle

Used to live on AMI...(I've said before, they're tearing down the homes from the 60's/70's which are usually 2/2 ranches and putting up two elevated homes on the same nice 100x100 lot because land is at a premium. These 2 or 3 bedroom homes usually sell for $500K to $800 depending on the location relative to the water...the elders of AMI stuggled to keep their island free & clear of change, but nevertheless, they can't stop time. We had bought the last lot on Tampa bay across from a golf course & thought we were it...well, now they're buying the 3/2 ranches on Tampa Bay for $1.5 million and tearing them down to rebuild their dream homes. That's the way the concrete pours...

On LBK, you can find homes in the $300's on the Manatee County side, small, but none the less on LBK. This is an exclusive island. The billionaires are buying out the millionaires. I work on this island. And I do enjoy the atmosphere...however, you better have $ behind you if you want to "own" here. Rentals can be found in cute little beach places for $775, believe it or not...you just have to know how to do it.

Siesta is beautiful & owning, of course, not cheap, rentals...some cheap!

But, hey, I think it's like going to the supermarket...I don't care which one you frequent, your box of Frosted Flakes is almost $5 (except for sales) and that's kind of the sign of the times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area