Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 10:33 AM

288 posts, read 452,814 times

Advertisements

DBPR punishes six Southwest Florida appraisers | March 26, 2013 | Michael Braga | Inside Real Estate

These people helped to inflate property prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 03:26 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
Having some real issues with appraisers around here. I have a home that is already two weeks past the original close date because the VA Underwriter wanted the appraiser to make some adjustments and he was nowhere to be found. Then he was found in the hospital. He just got out and is now making the adjustments so that we can finally close April 1. You would think the VA appraisers would have back up people to cover when someone is out sick, but it is a very long tedious process because the VA Appraisers are few and far between on the approved list.

Several banks are telling us to give 15-30 days extra for closing dates because the appraisals are taking so long to come in. Now this article says some of them are losing their license. Hopefully we will have some new appraisers getting their license to replace them or the system will be even more backlogged.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:15 AM

697 posts, read 1,169,993 times
Hey Tammy ... Don't forget the " special nitrates" water test VA wants done on all well system homes!....we learned that one the HARD way eh?

Old 03-27-2013, 12:04 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
Yes, we did. It was not part of the water test on the previous VA loan, it is new. But it is only required on well water, not city water. VA and FHA have new regulations constantly.

Starting April 1 FHA is increasing the monthly mortgage insurance premium for all new loans. Starting June 3 the mortgage insurance premium for FHA is carried throughout the life of the loan rather than based on loan to value and dropped after a period of time. More and more regulations are making it tougher for people to qualify today, who could have qualified 6 months ago. To read more go to: FHA to Increase Monthly PMI Fees Starting April 1, 2013 | Homeloansintro.com

Also, if you are looking for a loan under $50k, it is very hard to find. Most lenders will just NOT do it.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamRE View Post
. Starting June 3 the mortgage insurance premium for FHA is carried throughout the life of the loan rather than based on loan to value and dropped after a period of time.
That just crazy....so...it will force people to refinance at some point...but then they must look at the cost to refinance to see if it is viable based on how long they plan to keep the house. Seems to work in the insurance companies best interest....not the consumer.

I say everyone join the Military to utilize VA loan benefits!

Old 03-27-2013, 05:53 PM

Would you not be better off to pay a down payment with a conventional vs. a VA loan, which requires a 3% fee to be added to the mortgage? It's been so long....how much does one need to avoid the insurance all together? 5%?

We had a conventional appraiser once in Tucson, he talked about the rec room 'upstairs'....ummm....we bought a ranch....no upstairs and no adjustments made by him....he just took the extra sqft out of the appraisal

Old 03-27-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calico777 View Post
Would you not be better off to pay a down payment with a conventional vs. a VA loan, which requires a 3% fee to be added to the mortgage? It's been so long....how much does one need to avoid the insurance all together? 5%?)
Nope, not better..you need to put down 20% to avoid PMI. So, the mere 3-7% funding fee is peanuts..also, the PMI can be rolled into the loan. So, as far as I can see..a VA loan still wins. Based off what Tammy is saing..a VA loan is even a better option.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:31 AM

I see your point.
But since the VA loan is possible in the 400k's, 3-7% would not be peanuts
One should have the goal of paying off the home, at least with a 3% down payment, you might be on the way....or so I thought....especially if you need to sell, and the house did not appreciate, you will have to come up with the 3% on top of all the other costs, since it increased the cost of your home. If I sell the home for the same price I bought it for, at least I would get the 3% back.
(BTW, we are also VA eligible but I might just not know enough about it )

Old 03-28-2013, 12:13 PM

There are other investment tools that the 3-7% would be much better suited. When mortgage rates are so low and the interest is tax deductible....putting that money into a 401k, stocks or other tax sheltered investment may work out to your benefit. Lastly, it is my belief that if you get the hem at or below appraised value...you will get that money back semi-quickly.

As far as the FHA/conventional loans..I see no benefit over a VA...but I'm always open for others opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area