Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 06:16 AM

23 posts, read 35,226 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating this Summer to the area and are looking for homes and neighborhoods that would work for us. We have 2 young kids involved in sports, Girl Scouts, music, etc. We like access to amenities like beaches, museums, parks, restaurants and shopping but prefer to live in a suburban area.

We've been looking in several east of 75 communities like The Hammocks, Panther Ridge, Trillium, Serenoa, Secluded Oaks, etc. What I wonder is, do families living East of 75 find themselves getting tired of the drive and wish they lived closer?

One of the the homes that were looking at is in Panther Ridge (love those large lots) buy I wonder how driving 13 minutes to a Publix and 40 minutes(w/o traffic) will feel over the long haul.

Would love to hear from those living in communities East of 75 feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 06:27 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,678,432 times
Honestly, I feel most people here will tell you not to do it (not far east anyway...) But frankly, after living 6 years by the water, as nice as it is, every tourist season makes me long for a country home on 5 acres out east. I'd do it in a heartbeat but my husband is not so convinced. But I grew up in the country, so it's familiar to me.. I'd rather drive 8 miles on an open highway than 4 miles in the city- just my opinion

It really depends on how far east is acceptable. There are many neighborhood/areas just a couple miles east of 75 that are perfectly easy to still get around the city quickly. Panther Ridge is the furthest out & will take you longer to get to things. However, with the growth of LWR spreading east (lots of planned development along 70 & 64, it won't always feel so "out there". Lorraine & 70 is slated to be a large commerce area) Frankly, I love Panther Ridge & would live there with no problem but most people couldn't.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:56 AM

Thanks for your perspective! I was told by my realtor that LWR was spreading east and that Panther Ridge wouldn't always feel so remote. I really like the estate feel of the lots compared with the quarter acre lots that are so prevalent. Can't imagine not having a backyard.

On the other side of 75, we also like Turtle Rock but there isn't anything for sale that meets our specs. Inventory in homes is really tight right now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-18-2013, 07:09 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Just be prepared that everything you are going to do is going to be West of 75. No, I would not do it.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:14 AM

The Concession Golf Club is right next door to Panther Ridge also. The real estate bust really hit the Concession hard (as many other developments) however, it has turned around & the lots seem to be selling well again. They are also working on upgrading 70 between Lorraine Rd. & Panther Ridge.

It just shows that "out east" wont be so far "out" in the near future.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:06 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
When I first started vacationing here, pre I-75, communities like Lake Sarasota and Bent Tree were considered 'way out east'. The nearest area to get food was Bee Ridge/McIntosh and Bee Ridge was single lane all the way to the Trail. Anyone who shops at Bee Ridge/Cattlemen knows that 'way out east' doesn't exist anymore and there is a shopping center with a Publix at the end of Bee Ridge Rd where the county garbage dump use to be located. No matter how far east you move, there will eventually be a supermarket, bank, drug store and gas station within a mile of your house.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
When I first started vacationing here, pre I-75, communities like Lake Sarasota and Bent Tree were considered 'way out east'. The nearest area to get food was Bee Ridge/McIntosh and Bee Ridge was single lane all the way to the Trail. Anyone who shops at Bee Ridge/Cattlemen knows that 'way out east' doesn't exist anymore and there is a shopping center with a Publix at the end of Bee Ridge Rd where the county garbage dump use to be located. No matter how far east you move, there will eventually be a supermarket, bank, drug store and gas station within a mile of your house.
I love going out to Rothenbach Park... my blood pressure drops just sitting under the big old mossy oaks (watching my kids climb them, not so much)

Old 05-20-2013, 08:51 AM

166 posts, read 370,072 times
I used to live in Panther Ridge and the commute was not a problem at all for shopping. One of the things I miss most is the beautiful scenery driving down Lorraine Rd or LWR Blvd on my way to Main St or the shoppes at University, the drive was relaxing seeing sandhill cranes, people walking or riding bikes, alligators basking in the sun, it sure beats driving through traffic ridden city life with gas stations all over the place. If I remember right it was only 9 minutes to Publix on SR 70?? Good eats all around too! I highly recommend Panther Ridge. The only thing that disappointed me was the commute to Siesta Key, I would have liked to have been a little closer, it's only a 35-45 minute drive but by the time you find parking etc it seemed to become more of an effort and sunset evenings after work become few and far between. Other than that, I think it's one of that areas best kept secrets, you get the luxury of the LWR amenities and no CCD fees!

Old 05-20-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriC View Post
I used to live in Panther Ridge and the commute was not a problem at all for shopping. One of the things I miss most is the beautiful scenery driving down Lorraine Rd or LWR Blvd on my way to Main St or the shoppes at University, the drive was relaxing seeing sandhill cranes, people walking or riding bikes, alligators basking in the sun, it sure beats driving through traffic ridden city life with gas stations all over the place. If I remember right it was only 9 minutes to Publix on SR 70?? Good eats all around too! I highly recommend Panther Ridge. The only thing that disappointed me was the commute to Siesta Key, I would have liked to have been a little closer, it's only a 35-45 minute drive but by the time you find parking etc it seemed to become more of an effort and sunset evenings after work become few and far between. Other than that, I think it's one of that areas best kept secrets, you get the luxury of the LWR amenities and no CCD fees!
Thanks for the info Cheri. The wife and I are very interested in a property in Preserve area and the only hold back was the concern about the commute to grocery, school, restaurants and Sarasota area stuff...like Siesta.

We have 2 children, 4 and 8 years old who would be going to Robert Willis which looks like a great school. Can you tell me more about the community of Panther Ridge? Are there many families with children that play together? One of the things my wife currently likes to do is connect with other Mom's in our town. They even have a Facebook site that they use to communicate things like referrals, sell odds and ends, talk about local news. Do they have anything like this in Panther?

Old 05-21-2013, 08:36 AM

166 posts, read 370,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeclad View Post
Thanks for the info Cheri. The wife and I are very interested in a property in Preserve area and the only hold back was the concern about the commute to grocery, school, restaurants and Sarasota area stuff...like Siesta.

We have 2 children, 4 and 8 years old who would be going to Robert Willis which looks like a great school. Can you tell me more about the community of Panther Ridge? Are there many families with children that play together? One of the things my wife currently likes to do is connect with other Mom's in our town. They even have a Facebook site that they use to communicate things like referrals, sell odds and ends, talk about local news. Do they have anything like this in Panther?
There are many families with children. The community is very family oriented. We moved away 3 yrs ago and I'm sure it hasn't changed that much but when we lived there, they had Easter Egg hunts, Ice cream socials and at x-mas time snow was delivered for sledding. All the events are held at the Pavillion. For Halloween since the houses are far apart and a long walk for the kids, the neighbors all piled up on golf carts and flat bed trailers decorated with hay and drove through the neighborhood. Curious what street the home you are interested is on? They had a website and newsletter before but not sure if they still do. Not gonna lie to you, the HOA had some issues with trouble makers and some people resigned from volunteering on certain committees but I'm sure it's been resolved since then. The deed restrictions were strict when we lived there but it was well worth the overall appearance of the community. Your wife will have no problem making friends with other moms at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area