Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:21 AM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californianz View Post
The chrome and bronze come and go but seem to return. I really like nickel and dark metals in the appropriate places - but who knows if they would stay around? Baths arguably, seem to become dated the quickest of all in homes.
Exactly. It's because people tend to go cheaper and/or give in to trends in baths. Stick with white toilets/sinks/tubs, natural stone tops, marble or stone (or good look-alikes) for tile and surrounds and baths will feel fresh far longer. Bring color and personality in with the art, accessories, towels and mats, shower curtain.

Chrome has never gone "out". People right now prefer brushed nickel, but in my opinion, that finish is a trend and will be out. When you think of classics, you have to consider what was used 100 years ago, 50 years ago, 25 years ago, etc. if the finish/material was used during all of those time periods, it is a classic and will never go out of style.

Ceramic tiles are a dead giveaway because some eras had more popular colors or finishes. Ceramic/porcelain tiles in a "glossy" finish should be avoided on the floor- they will look dated in 2 seconds. Any tile in a non-neutral color should be avoided (except for kichen back splashes or a small accent in a bath shower wall, for example)- somewhere it is easily replaceable down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 02:44 PM

440 posts, read 1,053,045 times
Even how tile is laid square or on a diagonal can date a kitchen. I feel that glass backsplashes and bathroom tile is going to be dated in the next few years even though I think it is gorgeous. I feel cherry cabinets are another classic look.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:55 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddog View Post
Even how tile is laid square or on a diagonal can date a kitchen. I feel that glass backsplashes and bathroom tile is going to be dated in the next few years even though I think it is gorgeous. I feel cherry cabinets are another classic look.
Yeah I agree with the glass tile. But we just put it in 3 bathrooms. In 10 years they will need updating anyway and I love the way it looks (for now).

Our house was built in 2003 and seemed incredibly dated for only being 10 years old. Most rooms had those built in cabinets for the huge square tube TVs. Who has those anymore? Also the bathrooms had lower makeup counters with stools. Yuk - gone.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:08 PM

338 posts, read 1,012,507 times
You can only hope that whatever you put in today becomes a retro classic tomorrow. Like terrazzo floors and Danish modern/ mid century furniture.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:51 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
I guess it depends on the individual - I love those bathrooms with lower makeup tables - where else do you put your makeup on? I also love those kitchens with the little office/computer nook - at one right now. I also love glass block which many think screams 80s.

Its hard to say what a classic is - it depends on whom you are talking to. A good site on FB is "save the pink bathroom" or "retro renovation" - these sites praise pink/green/grey/blue bathrooms of the 50s/6os - some people love "time capsule" houses. I know it is best to have a white bathroom - but I am so sick of them - so boring.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:58 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Also the bathrooms had lower makeup counters with stools. Yuk - gone.

Should have consulted you before doing the current bathroom remodel that is still unfinished an a condo we will be moving out of. I loved the idea of a makeup spot. But I will probably never get to use it.

I get what you mean though. Most of them are off center and look not very attractive. I am not that into symmetry, but that is off center makeup counters is one place it bothers me. (Mine is in the center between the 2 sinks).

The same kind of deal is going on in laundry rooms. They have high counters over the washer dryer for folding clothes and a low counter with a laundry room sink. I think there is one those in my future and you could not have picked a better word..."Yuk". Don't even own the house and pondering how to disguise that ugly plan.

No insult intended to those who have that laundry room layout. I can see how it would be extremely functional. But I am more about looks than function.

(And Obrero--glad you are still speaking after I took your post wrong on that other thread and wigged out. Sorry about that.)

Old 07-16-2013, 10:20 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
saw headline for Internet article about the death knell of SS appliances--and I think they just might be turning a corner...

granite countertops I think depends on what type of granite you choose--
some of the very dramatic movement granites might be considered garish in 5 years...like the black galaxy granite -- one of the first styles installed in early 90s I think--soon came to be...

Great design is timeless and that depends not on just the "pieces" of the puzzle but the overall effect those pieces create...
Personal taste doesn't always find favor as great design--
I prefer white cabinets in some kitchens and wood in others---and some I have seen and loved with metal/glass ones for ultra modern look...
Proportion of room sizes is something that can spoil the overall appreciation of a home's interiors....
It helps perception/enjoyment to have a variety of ceiling heights in rooms--although most people wouldn't necessarily look for that when shopping or designing a home...

I had Saltillo tile in my kitchen and liked it--but we changed it out when we were getting ready to sell because it is truly a personal preference and can turn off way more buyers than it pulls in...

I think jacuzzi tubs are out...pretty much to infinity and beyond...as well as some of the elaborate shower set ups that use mega gallons of water through 5 jets...
water conservation is going to be more and more important feature of desirable homes....
and I do think that the open/large kitchen layouts are here to stay--
likewise access to the backyard as part of continuation of living area--
didn't use to be that way at all...

I love cast iron kitchen sinks with BIG basins--but unfortunately my TX house as a "freeby" double bowl SS that is very unfunctional for large pans/pots...

Most of the time cabinet storage vs drawer storage is a bad trade off...

Coaxil cable in every room was top=drawer 20 yrs ago...now passe...

Attention to detail -- solid wood doors are always appreciated--as is better blocking in areas like where the toilet holder and towel bars would be installed---so there is wood vs drywall to attach to...

Stairs and second floors that are properly reinforced so they don't squeek

Old 07-16-2013, 11:12 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
I absolutely love REAL Saltillo tile, the kind with the chicken and dog prints in some tiles!

However it is a nightmare in kitchens. Drop anything and it shatters.
Real Saltillo Tile from Saltillo, Mexico http://fortworthbrickandtile.com/mak...llo/index.html

Old 07-17-2013, 06:11 AM

37 posts, read 76,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
saw headline for Internet article about the death knell of SS appliances--and I think they just might be turning a corner...

granite countertops I think depends on what type of granite you choose--
some of the very dramatic movement granites might be considered garish in 5 years...like the black galaxy granite -- one of the first styles installed in early 90s I think--soon came to be...

Great design is timeless and that depends not on just the "pieces" of the puzzle but the overall effect those pieces create...
Personal taste doesn't always find favor as great design--
I prefer white cabinets in some kitchens and wood in others---and some I have seen and loved with metal/glass ones for ultra modern look...
Proportion of room sizes is something that can spoil the overall appreciation of a home's interiors....
It helps perception/enjoyment to have a variety of ceiling heights in rooms--although most people wouldn't necessarily look for that when shopping or designing a home...

I had Saltillo tile in my kitchen and liked it--but we changed it out when we were getting ready to sell because it is truly a personal preference and can turn off way more buyers than it pulls in...

I think jacuzzi tubs are out...pretty much to infinity and beyond...as well as some of the elaborate shower set ups that use mega gallons of water through 5 jets...
water conservation is going to be more and more important feature of desirable homes....
and I do think that the open/large kitchen layouts are here to stay--
likewise access to the backyard as part of continuation of living area--
didn't use to be that way at all...

I love cast iron kitchen sinks with BIG basins--but unfortunately my TX house as a "freeby" double bowl SS that is very unfunctional for large pans/pots...

Most of the time cabinet storage vs drawer storage is a bad trade off...

Coaxil cable in every room was top=drawer 20 yrs ago...now passe...

Attention to detail -- solid wood doors are always appreciated--as is better blocking in areas like where the toilet holder and towel bars would be installed---so there is wood vs drywall to attach to...

Stairs and second floors that are properly reinforced so they don't squeek
Some of your opinions I agree with, some I don't. We have a master bath jacuzzi that hardly gets used, but I don't necessarily think it's out of style. I still think people look at it as sign of a big quality bathroom.

Also, your take on coaxil cable I think is indicative of how "tech-savy" you are. When I built my house I ran RG6 (co-ax cable) to every room, and it made a difference. My next house will have RG6, Cat6, and speaker wire in every room for home automation. I think wireless communication is useful when you're mobile. When you're at home, it's just unreliable and slow.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:04 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
Should have consulted you before doing the current bathroom remodel that is still unfinished an a condo we will be moving out of. I loved the idea of a makeup spot. But I will probably never get to use it.

I get what you mean though. Most of them are off center and look not very attractive. I am not that into symmetry, but that is off center makeup counters is one place it bothers me. (Mine is in the center between the 2 sinks).

The same kind of deal is going on in laundry rooms. They have high counters over the washer dryer for folding clothes and a low counter with a laundry room sink. I think there is one those in my future and you could not have picked a better word..."Yuk". Don't even own the house and pondering how to disguise that ugly plan.

No insult intended to those who have that laundry room layout. I can see how it would be extremely functional. But I am more about looks than function.

(And Obrero--glad you are still speaking after I took your post wrong on that other thread and wigged out. Sorry about that.)
Yes well not talking to a stranger on the internet seems a tad pointless.

I've just added a granite "shelf" over my washer / dryer with an over hang over the dreaded lower sink shelf. Doesn't look too bad because of the funky granite but it's still a bit of a yawn. I looked at a house that had the washer / dryer opposite each other with a sink and folding area on the other side of the room. I would love to do that but didn't have the space. My friend has a stackable washer dryer inside a built-in with a door, inside the laundry room. If all else fails just give up and send your laundry out to be done...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area