Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:33 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,507,636 times

Advertisements

Listen - I lived in NY and know the schools are lousy and the crime is very bad. And, liberals are a good thing? Baahhhhahhahahah - Again - why are you in Florida if NY is so great? Why come on here and bash Florida?

Why don't you go back to wonderful, great schools, crime free New York? And do you mind telling me how old you are to be so mean spirited?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 09:14 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,346,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
So you can't say anything negative?
I could find something negative to say about anyplace on Earth, just as everyone else could.

What is the point?

All I was saying is that your post is exactly the same as so many others here. You mention one or two things about the beaches as a subterfuge for the fact that you really just want to complain about the area and bring everyone down.

So many people do it, I guess there must be some verifiable psychological reason for it, but I honestly don't understand it. It feels like those awful co-workers I used to have, all taking smoke breaks together so they can complain about everything and everyone.

Count me out.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:07 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,118,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
I think your thread title of "greater Sarasota area" is a bit of an over generalization. It would be like if I wrote about the greater Los Angeles metro area which is 100 miles east to west and more north to south and spoke if the things that are true for my area apply to the experiences of the other 16 million people who live here.

Yes, this was a silly over generalization from someone living in Bradenton about greater Sarasota.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:52 AM

192 posts, read 376,219 times
Quote:
The purpose was to state my experiences here.
I live in Bradenton and dislike it. Sarasota is somewhat better, but not my cup of tea.
What the F**k are you talking about? NY is arguably the safest major city in the country, and the schools are the third best in the country. Yes, there are high taxes, but you get what you pay for. And liberals are a good thing. New Yorker in Florida and proud.
I'm a New Yorker and currently live 30 minutes north of NYC. So NYC is the safest City in the country? How you figure? Because Bloomy says so? That guy is a dictator. Look at all the crime going on in NYC. Yes, the city is safer, but not the safest in the country. I'm sure you're not hearing about random people being pushed and to the subway train tracks and getting killed. Yeah, that's safe. All the gang crimes. Have you recently heard about some cops from NYPD being whistle-blowers and are in trouble now for spilling the beans? And how the NYPD and Bloomy are rigging the reports on crime to make it look like crime is down? When in really crime is up all around. Maybe you should be in tune more with the news in NYC.

NOT to mention all the corruption in NYPD. Look it up yourself. NYPD cops from all ranks seem to be making the news lately and it's not for being heros.

The city schools are crap! Unless you have some serious cash to send your children to private schools in the city, you will be stuck with public education in NYC. Good luck with that!

Taxes...really? Taxes in the county that I live in are a crime. Can you justify paying $13k-$15k in taxes for an average house? 1600-1700 sq. feet in a school district with average or below average grades? NOPE!

We are looking to relocate to Florida from NY. On the west coast around Sarasota. Living in NY is becoming way too expensive!

Yes, people make more money in NY, but you have too. Or you will never be able to afford anything.

I will say this, if anyone reads this post looking for info on moving to NY. Do yourself a favor. Go look somewhere else! Living in NY is expensive! Taxes are a crime and they just keep on going up! No matter how you look at it, you will pay more in NY for everything!

Let me ask you a question isles20. If you're a proud NYer, what are you doing living in Florida?

Old 08-14-2013, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,353 times
Hi, I'm a female living in Sarasota for about 9 years. Originally from the Boston area. I'll be as detailed as possible...
keep in mind, most don't' live in the actual city of Sarasota, there is only 58,000 in the city....we live in the surrounding areas, we all refer to ourselves as living in Sarasota, but it's actually the county of Sarasota.
Some of what [URL="https://www.city-data.com/forum/members/isles20-1576148.html"]isles20[/URL] says is TRUE.

1. As far as schools, I have no children in the local schools but I know Pine View is in the top 5 or so schools in the entire country, It's actually in Osprey just a bit to the south (in the county). I didn't think Sarasota High School had a bad image at all. Another person's comment would be better suited to the local schools.

2. Theater, the arts and things to do: Well, if I were 22 I may not love the dating scene (or hookup scene?). But there is a lot of live theater especially for a city of this size. There are also several movie theaters if that's what you are referring too. There is a lot to do if you look for it. some of the younger people do travel to Tampa to see big concerts or to St Pete for night life when bored. This isn't NY, Chicago or LA, it's not exciting (neither is TAMPA). Beyoncé, Lady GaGa, or Maroon 5, or Justin Beiber are not going to play here any time soon. We have the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall which attracts smaller acts . Mainly in-season we do attract some interesting events that are on the upscale side. One out of season event that is interesting: "The Ringling and Baryshnikov Arts Center invite you to be a part of history as artists from all over the world come together to present the 5th annual Ringling International Arts Festival From October 9-12, 2013." [url=http://blog.ringlingartsfestival.org/sarasota-arts/tag/mikhail-baryshnikov/]Mikhail Baryshnikov | Ringling International Arts Festival Blog in Sarasota, FL.[/url] .
Also, we have "[URL="http://www.perlmanmusicprogram.org/programs/summer-music-school/"]Summer Music School[/URL] - started and run by ItzhakPearlman...."An intensive seven-week summer residency program serving approximately 40 exceptionally gifted students, ages 12 to 18, drawn from all over the world." Ya, kind of uppity but still nice for a change and a bit of culture.*
*YES, I'm stole those quotes from their websites....
For sports, we don't' have our own major league, we do have the Baltimore Orioles practice and play the other major teams off season. Locals follow the Tampa Teams for the most part or where ever your coming from.
There is Polo in Lakewood Range nearby(again in the county).
There is a new, NOT finished yet, (and gaining international reputation very quickly) rowing facility at Nathan Benderson Park [url=http://www.worldclassrowing.com/]Home[/url] that will host the 2017 World Championships. As soon as they started designing this facility the Harvard Rowing club and many other notable rowing clubs began practicing here in the winter right away. IF that's your thing.
Of Course there is always SWIMMING, boating, at the beach (not good for surfing though) or the really nice Potter Park YMCA pools 1 large indoor saltwater pool, 1 Olympic pool that hosts major swim events, 1 high diving pool...there is another Y in town with a nice pool also.
We have lots of arts festivals downtown (maybe a couple too many) along with a good farmers market, great place to bring your dog on Saturday mornings and sit in an outdoor café in the winter especially.
Downtown is nicer than most of the downtowns that I've been to in recent years. I've been to lots. Yup, we have some homeless hanging around there too. Actually we have a pretty downtown overall. Standing out on the Island City Park, (another great little place to walk with your kids +/or dogs), I often look over at the city and think how attractive it is. The marina/waterfront area is a great place for a long walk, try walking over the bridge to St Armands....nice! Don't worry you will NOT be the least bit 'scared' at all. There are too many things going on over the winter for me to list so I'll stop here.
3. Like anywhere there are nice and nasty people. There are a lot of Midwesterners, not really known for being nasty. (notice I didn't mention the North East? hahaha- but I'm used to them, they can be blunt, it doesn't offend me). Prejudices? Most people don't feel safe in some areas of the city, if that's prejudice is open for discussion. There is some on all sides, but that's true everywhere.
One thing I notice about people here AND most other beach front vacation towns is the difference in the have's and have not's. Big difference in housing too. It's due to the large amount of low paying service jobs in areas like this. Most of the high end homes are not really visible, large lots, walls, ocean front, gated...lots of lower end homes are visible. We have plenty of both high and low types- not so much in-between or maybe you just don't notice the middle ranch of folks. Oh, Drug problems? ya. I think it's worse in Bradenton. I'm not a fan of Bradenton. sorry-I know, you don't have to shout at me, most of Long Boat Key is in Bradenton as is a good deal of Lakewood Ranch, both very nice....oh and Anna Maria Island, sweet...love that little 'Rod and Reel' out there.
4. Driving? I'm from BOSTON end of that story. IF you haven't been to Boston and your going, take the best tip you will ever receive....stay just outside the city, Newton is nice, and TAKE THE SUBWAY OR TRAIN. Once your there walk like everyone else. Done. PS even Cape Cod has traffic like Sarasota in season. If your from a small town you'll think the traffic is awful I guess. There is plenty of it in season.
5. Taxes? overall Florida in general is pretty good in that respect.
6. Crime rates. They will scare you away if you look them up. I was a bit nervous coming here alone. I was unnecessarily worried. DON'T leave your car doors opened overnight and DON'T leave money, wallets, cameras, ect in your car while you sit on the beach. Car thefts at the beach are happening in many places not just the Sarasota area. DON'T wander into bad neighborhoods, I doubt you would. You will not be in fear here. There are nice neighborhoods scattered all over. there are pockets of rough areas that you would probably not have any reason to go to anyway. Some people say stay south of the city but I don't think that's true. There are nice and even higher end neighborhoods scattered around even out and past I-75.
*Osprey and Venice are nice towns, Venice has an older average age. Both are more quiet, lower crime rate, fewer jobs and things to do.
7. Restaurants: Again, if you are from a big city (Chicago, NY even Boston) you may not be very impressed with the restaurants. We have lots of them, some are pretty good, none are 5 star. That's my fussy opinion.

his/her positive comments were pretty good although some think the traffic is bad.
and I agree with Fairfax Mom. I don't' care for the weather in summer....winter YES... But then again this year it was cooler here than most of the Midwest and northeast at times!

Last edited by LivesInSarasota; 08-14-2013 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-14-2013, 04:14 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,976,229 times
Quote:
Here is my experience, in the form of pros and cons-
Cons-
1-The schools as a whole are bad once you get past Elementary, save for Pine View. Manatee county schools are a wreck right now, and are going through some serious troubles.
2-It is extremely boring. There are like one or two theaters, and no decent entertainment outside of Sarasota, and even then there is very little. That said if you are over 55, you might enjoy it.
3-The people. From my experiences they are nasty. A decent amount of people around here have prejudices that I don't want to talk about in detail.
4-The people can't drive. Some people go 25 in a 70, and some go 110 in 70. People also cut over all 3 lanes on the highways.
5-People are always trying to lower taxes. Sounds like a good thing but it isn't. The reason Manatee schools have such problems is because of funding, which comes from taxes.
6-Crime is awful. Some will tell you otherwise, but it is the 100th most dangerous city in America-
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
7- Outside of main street there are very little amounts of good restaurants.
Pros-
1-There is absolutely no real traffic. There is very rarely any backups, and when they happen, it is because of an accident.
2-The beaches are beautiful.
3-Housing is relatively cheap.
4-It would be a good place to retire.

I think you would be more correct if you reversed everything you said. Traffic can be bad at end of the work day. No its not bad if you are comparing it to Dallas,but its not that great when you have to wait three light changes on Clark road to get a mile to I75. There are more than three theaters just off the top of my head I can count more than you think there are. There is a lot to do, the art museum at Ringling, car museum, dog racing, beaches, and in winter there are any numbers of festivals and you can drive a short jump to Bradenton to see the planetarium and snooty and the Florida museum, To Tampa and there are several things to do there and St. Pete.

Sarasota has the jungle gardens for kids, you can drive to several keys like long boat, or Casy key or Manisota key which are great drives. Crime is not bad in Sarasota at all. Crime is everywhere even if your three people in the middle of Alaska one can murder the other two. Its not any worse than many other nice places I have been. Housing is not cheap. It was cheap for Sarasota about a year ago, but its not now. It would be a good place to retire, I will give you that. But Sarasota is more for younger people who want to be in a city that is doing more. If you want retirement then Venice is the place for you.

As far as people driving crazy, I have seen that all over. I will give you I have seen some stupid drivers in Florida but its not Sarasota. I have seen your complaints from Key West to Michigan and everywhere in between.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:14 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,107,647 times
LivesInSarasota What an awesome first post! Great info. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,507,636 times
id75 and Livesinsarasota are right on the money. Bravo! How true!

Old 08-16-2013, 07:10 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,656,144 times
I can't believe you people think that you live in paradise with no problems. The schools are not that good especially by high school, the people, as you see on here are nasty and defensive, and it is SLOW. Crime is awful too, regardless of it being skewed for tourism, and snow birds. By the way, since when do snowbirds rob banks? I am so happy I'm getting out of this crap hole.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:49 AM

53 posts, read 113,291 times
Thanks! Positive vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area