Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 07:29 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,656,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Fixed your correct post with an incorrect post. This is fun!
You mean screwed up a true post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 07:30 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,656,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
The very best part if this entire thread is that the op thinks the Miami metro area will better.
Oh please. There is a reason more people live there!

Old 08-22-2013, 07:07 AM

490 posts, read 624,902 times
You know, I was really expecting the bugs to be worse when we moved here. Actually when we first moved here there was a horrible love bug season and highway driving was unbelievable, with this solid layer of bug guts on the windshield that are wipers couldn't keep up with. I looked at my wife and said "What have we done?". Other than that though it's been very tolerable. Some skeeters at night and you need to stay on top of things like your drains, flea treatments, and a few ant traps and such. We let the dogs flea treatments lapse for a couple of months last summer and had no problems. We use a couple of essential oils around the house and on ourselves when we are out at night or kayaking and we are pretty much fine. Once in awhile my wife gets bitten at night but she is much sweeter than me. I don't want to turn this into a bug thread but things don't seem to be headed in a great direction anyway

Old 08-22-2013, 09:02 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,346,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Burnett View Post
You know, I was really expecting the bugs to be worse when we moved here. Actually when we first moved here there was a horrible love bug season and highway driving was unbelievable, with this solid layer of bug guts on the windshield that are wipers couldn't keep up with. I looked at my wife and said "What have we done?". Other than that though it's been very tolerable. Some skeeters at night and you need to stay on top of things like your drains, flea treatments, and a few ant traps and such. We let the dogs flea treatments lapse for a couple of months last summer and had no problems. We use a couple of essential oils around the house and on ourselves when we are out at night or kayaking and we are pretty much fine. Once in awhile my wife gets bitten at night but she is much sweeter than me. I don't want to turn this into a bug thread but things don't seem to be headed in a great direction anyway
Totally agreed. The bugs have been an absolute non-issue for us.

But again, we come from sneaky-oppressive Baltimore-DC area.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:11 AM

I'm from Brooklyn and I know what you mean. It was constant, all out roach warfare. Here it seems like the bugs come up to the front door, then just give up and commit suicide.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:17 AM

We use an essential oil, eucalyptus citrifolia which has a more lemony scent than the usual type. It's a great insect repellent and smells wonderful. It can be hard to find. We order ours. We dab a few drops on before sitting out on the lanai and we make a spray with it and peppermint oil that we use around the house. Spiders HATE peppermint and I hate spiders

Old 08-22-2013, 10:19 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,613,098 times
Sarasota is absolutely no place for anyone under the age of 50.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:42 AM

17,546 posts, read 39,171,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Really? There are several thousand students attending USF Sarasota, New College of Sarasota and Ringling College of Art and Design. They are substantially younger than 50!

Old 08-22-2013, 10:54 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,681,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Oh bull! We moved here in our mid 30's with small children & we've made tons of friends our age & so have my kids. We are always busy with sports, school functions, beach days, boating, kayaking, paddle boarding, running, biking & gathering friends to drink a couple pitchers of margaritas in SK village. Yes, boring old geezers we are!

I get so sick of people making stupid blanket statements that have no merit

Old 08-22-2013, 11:58 AM

17,546 posts, read 39,171,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiStix View Post
Oh bull! We moved here in our mid 30's with small children & we've made tons of friends our age & so have my kids. We are always busy with sports, school functions, beach days, boating, kayaking, paddle boarding, running, biking & gathering friends to drink a couple pitchers of margaritas in SK village. Yes, boring old geezers we are!

I get so sick of people making stupid blanket statements that have no merit
Those stupid and ignorant comments are usually made by people who don't live here or haven't been here in the last 20 years. Twenty years ago it may have been true, but no more. There are plenty of people of ALL AGES here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area