Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 10:16 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemarch View Post
We will not rent first...We didn't rent first when we bought our house in NJ! Why does everyone say that? Okay, thanks all.
Because so many people think they'd love to live in Florida, then purchase a house, live there a while, and start complaining about how bad Florida is for the next umpteen years. Frankly, it's a matter of personal survival here on City-Data. If you're smart, you'd save yourself a headache if you rent first -- it also gives you time to see what areas you really like. But to each his own. Just don't gripe about it later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 10:27 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,394 times
We are buying without renting first, but we have made 5 trips to get an understanding of the areas and the weather.

To me, it seems like the neighborhoods are smaller and change more quickly than I am used to from living in Indiana, Ohio, and a couple of cities in CA. These micro neighborhoods have different ideas with culture, price, crime, flooding, traffic, etc. There is also the issue of schools which doesn't apply to you. Insurance is very complex. Access to the water is complex. There are a lot of individual variables that are hard to grasp from a far. Something that can seem like a great neighborhood, location, and price, can end up not being what it seems.

Plus there can be local issues that can be a factor. Sewage spills, planned conversions from septic to government built sewers, failed developments, homeless shelters, developments that have been started and failed, inadequate infrastrructure, etc. Lots of local issues that it takes time to learn about that can impact your slice of paradise.

I keep editing this to add more and more. Also Florida is very prone to real estate scams. Not to mention booms and bust.

It is just harder to pick a suburb and know what you are getting. Sarasota is like a patchwork quilt with very small patches. That makes it very hard to grasp what you see on the internet. I think that is why people suggest renting first.

Last edited by Cardiff by the Sea; 10-25-2013 at 10:38 AM..

Old 10-25-2013, 11:53 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Speaking as someone who has lived in both Sarasota/Bradenton AND Dade City, I would recommend Dade City (or surrounding areas) over rural down here for what they are looking for. The reason being, Dade City is not that far from Tampa, and the countryside there is just SO much more beautiful than rural inland down here, not to mention high elevation. Much rural property here is just so marshy/swampy. Even in Dade City however, the budget will be tough. But there is also the Zephyrhills area and other nearby towns that may have what you are looking for.

Good luck!

Old 10-25-2013, 01:09 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deemarch View Post
We will not rent first...We didn't rent first when we bought our house in NJ! Why does everyone say that? Okay, thanks all.
The area is so diverse that it's crazy. Even from block to block in some areas.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:43 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
you had me there for a while. i don't think your budget will cut it. not for 5 acres and a relatively new home. If you want to minimize insurance, your house needs to be less than 10 yrs old. I think the stricter building codes came into effect in 2004
New code with big changes related to wind related construction techniques (called the 2001 Florida Building Code) went into effect March 1, 2002.

This means any new permits for homes that where submitted from 3/1/2002 forward had to use the new building code. This means many/most 2003 homes will be to the new code. The date of completion (Certificate of Occupancy) goes with the home's year built. Some 2002 homes that were completed toward the end of 2002 used the new code if their permit was submitted on/after 3/1/2002.

A few newer code changes occurred since then. They weren't as big as the 2001 code(the changes). Changes don't occur every year...rather every few years.

The county can tell you the date of the original permit for the new home construction. It's probably online.

Last edited by sware2cod; 10-25-2013 at 01:56 PM..

Old 10-28-2013, 07:10 AM

11 posts, read 17,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Speaking as someone who has lived in both Sarasota/Bradenton AND Dade City, I would recommend Dade City (or surrounding areas) over rural down here for what they are looking for. The reason being, Dade City is not that far from Tampa, and the countryside there is just SO much more beautiful than rural inland down here, not to mention high elevation. Much rural property here is just so marshy/swampy. Even in Dade City however, the budget will be tough. But there is also the Zephyrhills area and other nearby towns that may have what you are looking for.

Good luck!
We are also looking in the Dade City & Hudson areas. I am thinking that we may do a thorough search there, too. As for our budget...I am NOT having any problems finding homes in the $225K to $250K price range, having what we are looking for!!

Thanks for your encouragement!!

Old 10-28-2013, 05:41 PM

547 posts, read 927,060 times
Myakka Valley Ranches might be an option. I have an aquaintance who does high end woodworking out of his home shop, and his wife has horses there as well.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:50 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
Have you considered North Port? About 25 minutes to the beach. Rural and cheaper than Bradenton (I think) and less crime also.

I know you do not want to hear it - but please RENT FIRST.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:28 AM

216 posts, read 564,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Have you considered North Port? About 25 minutes to the beach. Rural and cheaper than Bradenton (I think) and less crime also.

I know you do not want to hear it - but please RENT FIRST.
I live in North Port Estates on 3 acres. We will be selling by the spring and moving back to New England mainly so our son can be near Boston Childrens Hospital. It's a beautiful area here, very rural but your not in the middle of nowhere.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:25 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Hi Dee...I just thought I'd throw in one little tidbit that we just learned recently. I don't know or understand why but, apparently, most insurers are unwilling to write on properties that are more than 5 acres right now. I saw that you wanted to stay under that number but, as you look at properties, you might keep it in mind should something 5+ come up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area