Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 01:54 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,348,358 times

Advertisements

I've never been there. Is it fun? Worth going to? Expensive? Will you spend a day there? Few hours? Less? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 02:31 PM

122 posts, read 323,747 times
Our kids love it there, and it is fun to feed the flamingos. All the money spent goes into maintaining the park. You'll feel like you left civilization. It sits right in the middle of a neighborhood. I think it's $15/adult...forget right now. It's worth visiting, especially if you've never been before.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:10 PM

440 posts, read 1,053,045 times
It's a bit funky. You'll feel like you stepped back into 1950's Florida. Went there with my grown son last year and we both loved it. Very lush vegetation. Up close and personal with the flamingos. Old fashioned alligator and bird shows, interesting if you have small kids.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:39 PM

153 posts, read 192,156 times
I think Joey described it perfectly. Definitely spring for a bag or two of flamingo food at the register and bring a camera. Personally my wife and I ripped through there in less than 2 hours and in principal it seems a little pricey(for a 50's style attraction) but we had a blast so it was well worth it. Its a must go at least once.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:52 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I agree with everyone - I personally love Jungle Gardens. I hope everyone always supports it, because as mentioned, the admission goes to taking care of everything and the animals, and it's a bit of old Florida that I never want to see disappear!

A couple hours probably does it, but it's worth the price to me. It will be especially great if you have kids. Enjoy!

Old 12-01-2013, 09:10 AM

547 posts, read 927,060 times
They used to do a Christmas event complete with Santa. In the evenings at a reduced price. Looks like they still do.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:36 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,394 times
The praise sold me. Checked it out today. Went in with reasonable expectations and loved it. It helps to think of it as a big tropical garden with a long shady brick path and a rather small zoo. And for an additional donation, it is a petting zoo for those who have an urge to touch reptiles or be photographed holding a baby alligator or with a snake dangling around your neck.

The flamingos did not warm to me. Only one would each out of my hand and the rest were in a don't bother me mood. Still they were pretty amazing.

Hubby and I have been pretty stressed out lately and a stroll around the grounds on brick path was sooo very relaxing. It was awesome experiencing the tropical aspect without the humidity. I LOVE shade so I LOVED Jungle Gardens. I may get a season pass just to walk there.

Thanks to those who piqued my interest.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:44 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,345,307 times
We love the Jungle Gardens. Go online and get a coupon, and the price isn't bad at all. We're members, which makes the price great, actually.

The great thing about the place is that it's just a walk around. It is low-key, but the stroll is great. There is a canopy, so even when it's hot, it's not intolerable.

Our kids love the place. We go twice a month. It's a great way to spend a couple of hours, and the staff is very sweet and attentive.

Please support them. They don't have it easy, and it is worth preserving.

I would say the exact same for the Children's Garden as well, which is a really nice spot too.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:19 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,394 times
Helpful hint about flamingo food.

It is sold in bags at the admission desk for $1.50. Smaller amounts are sold at the feeding areas from vending machines for a quarter.

If the flamingos are no more interested in eating than they were today, the smaller amount from the vending machines is plenty.

I expected them to be like eager greedy pigeons but they were not. I guess they were dieting to keep their legs slim. I gave most of our bag to a family who came in after us because I couldn't get anybody but flamingo #10 to eat.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:41 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
Helpful hint about flamingo food.

It is sold in bags at the admission desk for $1.50. Smaller amounts are sold at the feeding areas from vending machines for a quarter.

If the flamingos are no more interested in eating than they were today, the smaller amount from the vending machines is plenty.

I expected them to be like eager greedy pigeons but they were not. I guess they were dieting to keep their legs slim. I gave most of our bag to a family who came in after us because I couldn't get anybody but flamingo #10 to eat.
They were probably already full from Thanksgiving! So glad you went! Haven't been since last year, I think me and hubby will get passes to support the place and just take a relaxing stroll now and then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area