Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 01:36 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,348,358 times

Advertisements

If you build a home, and have the builder install the pool, you'll pay twice for the pool than what you could after the home is built. When I built my home, the builder quoted me $114k for the pool I have right now which was $62k. The only problem is that the pool for half the money took an additional 3 months to have built after the house was purchased. But that's a hell of a savings for a minor annoyance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 01:53 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
If you build a home, and have the builder install the pool, you'll pay twice for the pool than what you could after the home is built. When I built my home, the builder quoted me $114k for the pool I have right now which was $62k. The only problem is that the pool for half the money took an additional 3 months to have built after the house was purchased. But that's a hell of a savings for a minor annoyance.
That is a heck of a savings. You want to oversee the costs on our build? I got a sense of builder's markup when I picked kitchen appliances. 20% markup over their cost. But I don't know if their cost is lower than retail, so maybe it is not so bad.

We have a lot clearing allowance (2k) and a landscaping allowance (12k). I plan to do as much as I can in advance myself, because I figure the same vendor would work for me for less than than for the builder and I would not have the the 20% markup over that. And I won't have plants I hate and pull out the day after it is turned over to us.

I think I can remove 3 palm trees (with city's blessing) and plan the exact shade tree I want in the exact location I want it for less. They still insist on slapping sod down so it is considered "habitable". I am good with them doing the sprinkler system even though I have designed and installed a 14 zone system myself. At my age, I would rather harass the installer.

But Ben, to say it again, that is a heck of a savings. Trim the builders profit as much as possible. Maybe op should install a pool if it becomes a significant barrier to selling. Then it would be new and pretty and in the latest style. Old pools look old and aren't sexy in the eyes of buyers.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:15 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,348,358 times
Me getting lucky once doesnt qualify me to help that much on cost savings. But a house is like a car. Dealer makes a small percentage on the car, until you add those options to it. "Rust Proofing?" That'll be $400! Chrome rims? That's $2500!

Old 06-15-2014, 03:23 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,190,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
I can't quit internet shopping for houses even though we have bought. (Addiction--need a 12 step program).
I thought I was the only one with that addiction. You made my day.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:26 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,190,394 times
In answer to the original question, we looked at only houses without a pool, but we were looking for a community with a "resort" type community pool. However, we were not in your price range (~$300K) and did not want to deal with the maintenance or liability when we weren't there. I would agree with everyone else, if you're concerned about resale at that price point I think a pool would be a necessity.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 3,640 times
Super - thanks to all those who replied - that's exactly what my gut instinct was telling me! While one never would build with plans to sell right away, one also should guard against having an albatross weighing down resale value and market appeal to the detriment of the home value.

Similarly - IMHO (unless you are independently wealthy) it's also not advisable to overly customize things in odd ways, believing you are going to live there forever and not caring what other people might think. There is only one thing in life that is certain - change.

Adding a pool and other DIY improvements can obviously save money on a new construction, which is great - however when the items are rolled into the mortgage it's far more attractive than paying tens of thousands out of pocket. If you are in a deal with a large developer, they also won't let you do a thing until they hand you the keys - which might mean you have to tear out some of what they did to finish, to DIY other things.... and/or try to match materials in places. Yes, it can save money if you have ample cash on hand or get a 2nd to pay for it in the case of something like a $50K pool.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:01 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,106,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Tam View Post
Similarly - IMHO (unless you are independently wealthy) it's also not advisable to overly customize things in odd ways, believing you are going to live there forever and not caring what other people might think.
So I guess I should rethink the purple polka paint scheme, the circus elephants in the yard, and the ballroom instead of a master bedroom? Damn, I am so tired of living with 50 shades of beige and safe choices in granite, etc.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:05 PM

252 posts, read 371,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Not only do I totally agree ^^^ but I'll add the ratio of buyers who want a pool to those who don't must be (in my experience) something like 20:1, and it's probably much higher than that. Yes, there are people who don't want them (just as there are people who like Formica) but they are far out numbered. If it doesn't make sense to you to do one now, I'd at least build your new home using a design that is meant to have a pool and summer kitchen and I'd have all of the necessary stuff roughed in. I'd even go so far as to be sure that the lot you choose provides easy access for a pool builder to get back there without destroying your landscaping, or your neighbor's. As long as you can look ahead and plan, you might as well.
Yes indeed, good advise right here

Old 06-15-2014, 07:38 PM

62 posts, read 96,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman_6 View Post
i don't know if you can really use a pool year round here. Even with my electric heater, my small pool doesn't get above 65-70 most of Nov-Mar.
I'm no expert but seems i read somewhere pool heaters are only able to raise water temperature 10-15 degrees above air temperature. Anyone out there know for sure?
We bought a home with a pool in January, 2013. We've been in the pool at least several times a week every week since. Running eight hours a day, our heat pump has no trouble keeping the pool at 82.

-- Larry

Old 06-16-2014, 01:49 PM

20 posts, read 41,008 times
I agree with the other posters that a home in that price range would be expected to have a pool. However, I have a good friend that purchased a $mil+ home on Charlotte Harbor that didn't have a pool, they haven't bothered to put one in yet, nor are they thinking they will. It is a gorgeous home too. A family member lives in a $mil+ home on Lemon Bay and wants to fill his pool in!

So, there ARE buyers out there that would still buy without a pool, but I think they are the minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area