Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2014, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,881 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are headed to Sarasota for three months this winter. We have a house leased and will be flying down and and back, so we're exploring options for having a car while we're down there. We are considering buying a car for $2-3,000 and then reselling it when we leave. Aside from the obvious risks of repairs and timing the resale when we leave, does anyone have any advice for this kind of venture in Florida?

We have a signed lease and a US driver's license, so getting a title transfered and the vehicle registered looks lie, it will cost about $100 and the cost of insurance. Anyone out there have any experience with buying and reselling a vehicle in the Sunshine State?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 05:15 PM

535 posts, read 1,032,158 times
I cant tell you all the details but getting your first license plate will be shockingly expensive

Old 12-02-2014, 05:57 PM

130 posts, read 234,412 times
A $2,000-$3,000 car is a pile of junk...If you can keep it running long enough to resell it it won't be easy to unload...Most all cars are sold through dealers today...

Old 12-02-2014, 06:38 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
As the OP will be a seasonal/non-FL rez, I don't think the OP can buy a car in FL and get it titled/registered/plated in FL...
My understanding is that one has to be a FL rez to register car in FL, or be in the process of declaring domicile in FL to register a vehicle in FL.

And, agree with Rogerluli that a $2-3G car will be a pos that may not last for those 3 months, and will be a driveway sitting junker that will interest few buyers in late April.
YMMV...
GL, mD

Old 12-02-2014, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,881 times
Thanks for the opinions and insights on cheap cars guys, but......

does anyone have any actual personal experience buying or selling a car down there?

On-line information from DMV indicates title change and registration to be about $100.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:08 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,348,358 times
1.) You lose your sales tax
2.) You have to wait for someone to buy the car, and at what price?
3.) Insurance
4.) Registration
5.) License Plate cost ($285?)
6.) Non-Florida resident with no proof of residency cant register a car here anyway

hertz.com
avis.com
expedia.com

Old 12-02-2014, 07:24 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,190,394 times
I don't know if you'll be able to get insurance with a short term rental. You should check with an insurance broker before doing anything.

There is also a fee for the first time registration of a car in FL. From what I've read in these forums, it runs around $400. And that would be if you could even register it.

I don't know where you are coming from, but I looked into have a car brought down by car carrier from the NY/NJ area and it would cost under $1000 each way. It may be cost effective to send the car if you have one instead of buying a clunker.

Google long term rentals. You'll find a number of companies on Kayak. Kayak is starting at $22/day (probably need to add a bit more for taxes). Budget has a dedicated page: http://www.budget.com/budgetWeb/html...s/monthly.html. They're showing an intermediate SUV for $2600. Enterprise also does monthly http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental...ap.do?bid=2595 with intermediate running about $2500 for 3 months. If you do decide to try a rental, before booking on-line, google the car company and coupon. I've gotten some great coupons from Retail Me Not: http://www.retailmenot.com/ for car rentals. Also, check Costco if you're a member.

For $2000-3000 you may be able to rent a car and save yourself the hassle of reselling and plating your own car for the short term rental.

Last edited by macrodome2; 12-02-2014 at 07:43 PM..

Old 12-03-2014, 03:47 AM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
As ben & I noted, I really don't think a non-FL rez can buy/title/register a car/motorcycle/boat in FL.
That $2Gs is going to be a junker, but you can't do it anyway, as a non-rez.

I am also a seasonal/non-rez. I can buy a car here, but it will come with temp tags and I must register it in my domiciled state.

OP needs to bring a car, rent a car or buy a bicycle.
GL, mD

Old 12-03-2014, 05:05 AM

252 posts, read 371,293 times
I know I'm not answering your question but if you're staying for 3 months why not drive your own car down? Unless you live in Nunavit or something. I live in a frozen hick town waaay up in Ontario and I can get to SRQ in ~27 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: