Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 05:42 PM

8,318 posts, read 4,671,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gal View Post
Lovely - NOT. Now that really does scare me since it is seriously dangerous not to mention the noise.
I'm glad this information was helpful to you. I live in Nokomis and I personally have not had a problem with this. I guess it just depends on the luck-of-the-draw in who you get for neighbors. I wouldn't think that the Real Estate agents that post here are particularly fond of bringing up points like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 05:44 PM

704 posts, read 771,995 times
Husband and I love our peace and quiet - the gun thing you mentioned really bothers me and it would bother husband even more and I thought conceal & carry was unnerving. Several years ago we went out to eat and I noticed a man with a concealed weapon, he got into a sort of argument with another man. We left with our meal not eaten. We don't do guns, no how, no way.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:55 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,925,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
I'm glad this information was helpful to you. I live in Nokomis and I personally have not had a problem with this. I guess it just depends on the luck-of-the-draw in who you get for neighbors. I wouldn't think that the Real Estate agents that post here are particularly fond of bringing up points like this.
I'm fine with it. I say the more knowledge and info my buyer has, the better.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:06 PM

We will check the area out. It does kind of take the shine out of it, but no place is perfect. Not sure how to get around this part of it and I'm pretty good at research and problem solving. This is a serious problem though and I'm from Texas and thought we were pretty loose with guns.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:26 PM

One question leads to another, are there any restrictions to having a "backyard gun range" if so, what are they, i.e. safety protection for neighbors and liability insurance?

Old 03-15-2015, 06:49 PM

749 posts, read 921,040 times
Default Snow birds

We come here January 15th, and leave March l5th. By the time we get home, Spring is beginning to show its face........perfect for us. We cannot handle HOT weather most of the time, and high humidity.

We rent a house, in Florida, give the key back........no problems. We have a house up North.

We are retired.......

Old 03-15-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
One question leads to another, are there any restrictions to having a "backyard gun range" if so, what are they, i.e. safety protection for neighbors and liability insurance?
There are no meaningful restrictions that do any good. All there is - is one vague, difficult to enforce stipulation - which says anyone who 'recklessly or negligently' discharges a firearm can be charged with a misdemeanor.

*Florida law on weapons and firearms: Under Section 790.15 of the statute, anyone who “recklessly or negligently discharges a firearm” on residential property is committing a first-degree misdemeanor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is from the article that I linked to:

** North Port Police Chief Kevin Vespia said the problem with the state law is that there are no set guidelines for what people need to do to set up a backyard range nor any definitions of “reckless and negligent” shooting.

If berms were to be structured a certain way and someone did not follow the rules, for example, that would give a reason for officers to enforce the law. Now, if someone sets up a berm to fire into, but it fails to capture the bullets, is the person intentionally negligent? Or, have they just set up a poor berm out of ignorance? **

Last edited by wondermint2; 03-15-2015 at 07:11 PM..

Old 03-15-2015, 07:06 PM

wondermint2 sounds like you have had some experience with this issue. I was just reading Florida gun laws/home shooting ranges and was a bit surprised at how lax and non-specific they are. My next question, how prevalent would this "experience" be in a subdivision? We are planning to be "in town". Even though this is a State law, I would think if you lived "in town" that it wouldn't be a problem because of noise, etc. being a problem.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
wondermint2 sounds like you have had some experience with this issue. I was just reading Florida gun laws/home shooting ranges and was a bit surprised at how lax and non-specific they are. My next question, how prevalent would this "experience" be in a subdivision? We are planning to be "in town". Even though this is a State law, I would think if you lived "in town" that it wouldn't be a problem because of noise, etc. being a problem.
My hunch is that generally speaking this would be more of a problem where there are more open areas and larger yards - such as in parts of North Port and Englewood compared to the city of Sarasota and Venice. Most people weren't really aware of these gun laws in Florida until the Sarasota Herald-Tribune began publishing stories about it within the past year or so. Probably most people from out of state are still surprised to find out about the gun law here.

I have lived in residential areas in the city of Sarasota and in Nokomis - and I have not had an issue with it personally. You very well could be OK in Venice. I was just pointing out that 'some' have had issues with this in the surrounding area - and the 'potential' is there for difficulty (as long as the law allows it to exist).

If you get unlucky in this regard - I don't think some local noise ordinance would offer much protection for you. Several local communities were actually fined a lot of money by the state - because they tried to take matters into their own hands (and place restrictions on the overriding state gun law). So most local governments currently view this as being in their best interest to just "keep hands off" - and they don't try to butt heads with the state. The current law is structured in such a way that local governments are heavily penalized for trying to interfere.

Last edited by wondermint2; 03-15-2015 at 07:43 PM..

Old 03-15-2015, 07:43 PM

390 posts, read 609,459 times
The info from Cardiff by the Sea, SoFlGal, Wondermint2 is pretty much the reality of living in this area. The other mentions I would include are the drugs, human trafficking and skimming at the ATM machines and gas stations. Yes, I agree that this happens all over. Where I used to live, it did happen but not as much as I hear about down hear. And just because you are in a gated community, there are food deliveries people, along with other services and their crew that if they have the opportunity, they may take advantage of someone.

I have heard from a few people in the area, that the people in the gated communities are not as secure as they think they are. And when they hear that people are from a certain area i.e. New York or up North, they automatically think one has money. I can almost be sure that this mentality happens in all of Florida.

So moving here, one would have to be more aware of the people and the area they are in while in the public. Need to keep your guard up at all times. Not to be afraid, but not to trust no one while you are out in public or dealing with the public, ie scams. Not everyone may feel like this. IMO they put blinders on.

Other than all the above, there is a lot of days of sunshine and warmth. There are many places that you can visit and learn about the wildlife, beaches, fishing, boating, history, etc. There are many activities that happen on a daily basis. There is a lot to do in Florida. There is no state income tax. Your social security does not get taxed. Homeowners insurance is cheaper excluding flood insurance, etc. And one is able to live a less stressful life here, especially if they planned their finances well.

I came up with my conclusions based on my observations and experiences, which I know can be different from others and their experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area