Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 06:31 AM

23 posts, read 38,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahagal View Post
When I moved to Bradenton I was able to get 2 out of the 3: 1/1 apartment, short term lease with cat, UNfurnished.
Thanks, Bahagal. I suppose you did well with those two criteria met. With just a one bedroom, I suppose I could arrange to jockey a limited amount of furniture from that which I'm moving to storage.

Fortunately, I still have several weeks to continue my search, and perhaps I'll get lucky and find a reasonably priced rental, that accepts cats.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 06:50 AM

288 posts, read 452,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Problem is that "accept pet" often does not include a cat--just dogs
Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayesail View Post
@lovestoread - How can you intelligently make a statement like that? What data is your statement based on? Where have you seen such a statement from apartment rental communities, collectively? Moreover, you say "accept pet OFTEN does not include a cat." Does that mean over one-half of apartment renters diss cats over dogs? I suppose I really should just take that statement with a half-grain of salt, if that much.

From all that I've heard and read in my research, cats would be "accepted" marginally more before dogs. In fact, I have found qualifications such as, "only cats and 'small' dogs accepted," or, "we have restrictions on the 'size' of the dog, please inquire." I personally have never seen it where dogs are accepted but cats are not. Perhaps, more often than not, you personally have encountered just the opposite, and that, I suppose, is the reason for your statement. C'mon, please do your external research before you make statement to the public like that.

I've owned both cats and dogs, occasionally at the same time. My cat, as he/she quietly perch on a 'cat' tree grooming itself, would at times look at the dog(s), and perhaps wonder, "what the heck is up with that annoying behavior." Here's an excerpt from the Petfinders website:

"Availability of Pet-friendly Housing

According to the information reported in the landlords’ surveys, approximately one half of the housing is pet-friendly. However, only 9% of housing allowed companion animals without any significant limitations on size or type. Approximately one half of rental housing allowed cats, the easiest type of animal to get housing for. Large dogs were the most difficult, with only 11% of housing allowing these animals. Most tenants (82%) with animals reported having trouble finding a rental unit that would take their pet(s)."

For your edification, here's the Petfinder website, where you'll see more counter arguments to your statement:

http://tinyurl.com/pp26xsx

Perhaps I should thank you for your comment, and just respectfully disagree.
Unfortunately, I was looking for the same/similar rental last October (bad timing, because of the 'season'), we came down WITH 'the other white meat' aka 'the cat' and could not find a rental. Everything that said 'pets' meant in reality 'dogs only', and yes, very little availability to begin with. Rental agents didn't call back when I mentioned the C-word in my message. We ended up leaving again, DD first, with the cat, then hubby and I because all we would have left is a snow bird rentals. We'll make the journey again late spring, possibly scouting the area first without the evil pet and perhaps settling for a 'panic buy' so we have accommodations. Good luck to you, if you find several, let me know
Thing is, I totally understand landlords that don't want pets, I probably would be the same (however, I was fantasizing about buying an investment property to rent out to folks with cats only and snubbing every agent that did not call back, when I'm selecting my property manager - yes, I have a black list ) ....sigh...

Old 03-27-2015, 06:57 AM

Thanks Calico777 for your input. I'm starting to make some head way. I found one rental, in a great neighborhood that accepts cats and small dogs, but it's a bit too far for house hunting in Bradenton. But, I may use it as a plan C/D. Too early to post results, but some search results are beginning to look promising. I need to make a few calls. To your request, I'll post as I get more information.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:10 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Before we bought our house in Nokomis, we considered a long term rental for like a year to see how we would like staying for longer periods but we needed someplace that would take a dog and a cat
I contacted two management companies about specific homes because they said "pets" and because they had fences and for location and other reasons--- both management companies said that "pets" didn't mean cats. That very few of their homes allowed cats because more people were allergic and people thought (wrongly or not) that cats were more likely to damage property. Some listings on VRBO had same response

So that is why I said that "pets" didn't always allow for cats

I did my research--
May I have an apology for a huge dump for a fairly mild suggestion???

Old 03-27-2015, 10:48 AM

@ Lovestoread, your comment was based off an insignificant sample size, two management companies (I wonder who they were? Perhaps one was a DOG farm, what with the fences), which you seem to believe represents apartments in the area that define "pets" as dogs only. Furthermore, I was led to believe I would have to have "luck" to find an apartment that would accept Nauticat since he is not a dog. Perhaps I should put a costume on him to make him look like a dog. I submit it does not take luck, but a little research in addition to a forum such as this.

I just got off the phone with two rental complexes in Bradenton, Villages of Cortez Apartments and Timberlake Apartments. Here is an excerpt from a subsequent email from Timberlakes Apartments, where as I specifically said my pet was a cat:

Current prices for March 2015:

CALL FOR OUR AMAZING CURRENT SPECIALS!!!

1x1 600 sq feet : Prices in the$840’s

1x1 700 sq feet : Prices starting in the $860’s (fireplaces available)

2x2 1,000 sq feet : Prices starting in the $1040’s (fireplaces, and beautiful wrap around screened balconies/lanais)

We do accept pets, but sorry no aggressive breeds. 70lbs weight limit.
"
Lease Terms: 6-12 months

Hmmm, if a cat was over 70lbs, I suspect it would be a tiger or lion. While Nauticat may act like a tiger, he hasn't reached 70 lbs yet. By the way, there are pictures of cats and dogs on there website.

When I spoke with Coney, at Cortez Apartments, she said she was surprised that any other apartments would even say they don't accept cats, but dogs only. She even said folks call her the "cat lady," and she would be happy to meet Nauticat. Her price was $1,050/month for minimum of 7 months. They only have townhouses, 2 Bedroom/1.5 bathrooms. She is now sending me paperwork, saying she can get me in as early as 15 May, 2015. Here's an excerpt from their email:

Our community is Top Dog when it comes to furry family members. We welcome a maximum of two wet noses per apartment home up to 30 lbs. each.Sound purr-fect? Please contact the leasing office for fees and further details. Until then, happy tails! Notice the "purr-fect" in that sentence ... do dogs utter "purr?"

In the interim, I've found 8 other apartments in Bradenton that accepts pets ... perhaps I'll call each to test you claim that the word "pets" only means "dogs." I've given you the names of the apartments who have said "pets" include "cats." What are the names of the management companies who don't understand the definition of "pets" means, no cats?

Sorry, but no apology is in order here, but I do thank you for your comment, as everyone is titled to an opinion based on their experiences. However, your post was very misleading, perhaps causing some readers to possibly feel it would be harder to find a cat friendly rental as compared to a dog friendly rental. That is certainly not the case. My experience thus far is that far more Apartment Rental (not vacation rentals, AKA:VRBO), by and large define "pets" as cats and dogs, and most likely discourage alligators and snakes, not cats. Of the six apartments I've found so far, the restrictions are with size and breed of "dogs," not cats. Had I accepted you post as good information, I may have given up on my search for a home for us and our cat. The other posters to my thread here added value, and I thank them for that, especially regarding the three parameters to "consider." I was fully appreciative of the point regarding more difficulty in finding a "furnished" rental, in addition to being pet friendly.

So, that others will not leave this thread discouraged by your comment, thinking the word "pets" OFTEN does not include cats, when [much more] OFTEN it does mean cats, moreso than all dogs, I'll continue to enlighten readers of my thread who are looking for cat friendly short-term apartment rentals. Actually, I've found 12 short-term rentals that accept "pets." Perhaps I'll vet (a pun) them to test your claim.

Again, thanks for your comment, and all comments are welcome.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calico777 View Post
... if you find several, let me know ....
(however, I was fantasizing about buying an investment property to rent out to folks with cats only and snubbing every agent that did not call back, when I'm selecting my property manager - yes, I have a black list ) ....sigh...
Hi Calico777, actually I have found several now ... once I've vetted them all I'll update you so when you begin your search again, you'll have a start.

I may want a piece of the action if you decide on the investment property ... lol!

Cheers

Old 03-27-2015, 12:23 PM

Thank you.

I haven't actually thought of 'commercial' apartment complexes, you are right, they usually except all of the above. I called upon privately owned houses/townhouses and vacation rentals only, so my previous statement is only partially right. Privately owned homes/condos/townhouses that are managed individually can do as they please (which I understand, I've seen the damage of irresponsible people/pet owners/smokers etc)

Old 03-27-2015, 03:30 PM

Calico777, you nailed it. If you are interested, I'll provide the other Apartments Rentals that are available that accepts pets, even cats that pretend to be dogs, lol!

To your point, I think those private homes, etc., are a bit more expensive and subject to the whims of the individual owners. Also, I'm in full agreement with you as to how some folks do not respect the environment with which they find themselves, and they take even less control of their pets. This reflects on all of us pet owners who wish to do the right thing in and around the properties of others.

Interestingly, therein lies my concerns about renting in Apartment complexes, even for a short period. We can't control the actions of those who live under us, above us, or next to us. This is why I'm pleased that there are more than 1/2 dozen Apartment Rental locations, so, I can vet, via tours and discussions, all of them and make the right decision for us and Nauticat. Fortunately, it will only be for a short period.

Cheers,

Old 03-27-2015, 06:39 PM

Ayesail,
Thank you for the offer, I might get back to you on that if we are not successful with house rental hunt or purchase, should know more in a month. In any case, I'm looking forward to your trip report

Old 03-27-2015, 08:47 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
Ayesail, in your original post you said you needed a furnished short term rental, so that's why you were hearing from people saying it's going to be hard to find a furnished short term rental that allows cats. Furnished short term rentals allowing cats are difficult to find.

It's also true that there are a number of apartment complexes that are pet friendly, and some of those allow cats as well as dogs. But those are unfurnished, and most require at least a 7 or 12 month lease term, althought there are a few that allow shorter terms.

I know of one apartment complex in the Palm Aire area that definitely allows cats, I have a friend with cats that lives there. It's Traditions at Palm Aire. But I think they require a 1 year lease, I can ask my girlfriend about that if you're interested. It's a nice area, complex seems neat and well maintained, she has been happy with it so far.

There are 2 other apartment complexes in that same Palm Aire area that allow dogs, you would have to ask about cats. They are TGM Palm Aire Apartments and Timberlake Apartments. Both are quite close to each other, just north of University Parkway off of Whitfield. You would have to ask about lease lengths.

The Ranch Lake Apartments, off of SR70 east of I-75, close to Lakewood Ranch, opened in the past year. They originally advertised as pet friendly, having a dog park. Don't know if cats are included in the pet friendly. Again, I don't know if they allow shorter term leases.

There's one other place I can think of that I know allows pets, Huntington Place. It's in Sarasota on 12th St between Lockwood Ridge Rd and Beneva. I knew someone that lived there at one time but they didn't have a pet. I thought the apartment was kind of small for being a 2 bdrm.

Anyway, if you are looking into unfurnished apartments, that gives you one definitely cat friendly option and four potential others, depending on length of leases allowed. And that's just in a small area of Bradenton - Sarasota. But please don't bash the people who replied that were trying to give you honest answers based on your originally posted request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area