Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 03:28 PM

10 posts, read 6,986 times

Advertisements

My Father is in Hospice, he has two dogs one is a full AKC poodle minature, that is 9yo, the other is a ****zu that is about 5 yo. Both are good natured, and I need to place them, I am told to be careful as some idiots use dogs as bait dogs or breeders. Can anyone give me ideas on how to safely place these dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 07:07 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,693,247 times
you might try the lakewood ranch humane society

Old 04-27-2015, 07:45 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,745,021 times
I think that if you ask for a rehoming fee, maybe $100 per dog or so, that will dissuade anyone wanting a bait dog or a pet for any other nefarious purposes. You can also try any of the area rescues... maybe not a breed-specific one, as it would probably be best to try to place the dogs together, since they're used to each other. We got our dog through Royal Rescue in Sarasota, but I don't know what their criteria is as far as age/health/breed goes. Good luck finding someone. I'm sorry to hear about your dad.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:29 PM

57 posts, read 73,305 times
Default Dog placement for hospice patient

Casll Nate's Honor Animal Rescue in Lakewood Ranch to find help in placing your fathers dogs. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2015, 08:12 PM

625 posts, read 626,223 times
You can list them on "Rescue Me" if you want to handle the placement yourself or you can google "poodle rescue" & "****zu rescue." You can turn them over to a rescue and they will handle the placement.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:16 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,782,962 times
Bishop on 57th in Bradenton, non kill shelter, they do a good job placing pets.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:39 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,352,322 times
Little Angels Rescue of Arcadia, Florida

I volunteer there, they dont kill, they find responsible homes. Each applicant for a new pet must undergo a home visit as well to ensure it's a suitable home, and pay an adoption fee. Specifically intended for the "smaller" dogs.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:57 AM

166 posts, read 370,861 times
Reach out to a reputable rescue group. Someone gave you good advice, as yes they could be used as bait dogs.
Another scam is people posing as potential adopters and then re-sell your dogs on craigslist or local buy/sell/trade Facebook pages for profit. Especially with little toy breeds! Sorry about your dad and wishing you the best. Keep in mind his dogs were probably his life line and loves them very much, so use good judgement in providing a stable loving home for his companions. Hopefully you can find a home that will take the two together.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:59 AM

1,268 posts, read 3,005,785 times
Whenever you have an AKC registered purebred, I suggest contacting a breed rescue. They interview potential adopters like they're attempting to adopt a child; perform home visits prior to adoption and check references. You will be assured the dogs will go to a suitable home. They will take both if they are bonded and make sure they stay together.

Florida Poodle Rescue Service Area | Florida Poodle Rescue

I have no affiliation with poodle rescue, but I volunteer for Cavalier King Charles Spaniel rescue so I do know the drill! If you take them to a shelter, they will be separated and not adopted together. If they are older dogs, they may be euthanized. Call poodle rescue!!!

In reading the responses, the rescue in Arcadia that collects an adoption fee and performs home visits sounds like another good option if poodle rescue can't help.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area