Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 08:35 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,636 times

Advertisements

This is our first time spending more than a couple of weeks here in the summer. My recollection of prior time here is that there were thunderstorms pretty much every day, late in the afternoon. ANd seemingly more east of I-75 than along the coast. But lately, it just doesn't seem to stop - we're having thunder in the morning, then again in the afternoon, and again at night. And it seems more storms are on the coast than before. The actual rainfall doesn't seem much different - but the amount of thunder does.

My poor dog is petrified of thunder, and we have so much trouble getting her out of the closet, which is where she hides when she hears thunder. (We've tried many many remedies - but that's a subject for another forum). But her constant fear is wearing on me, as is the thunder waking us every morning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 09:58 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,692,907 times
We have spent 2 summers here now, one a few years ago and last summer when we moved here. So I cannot comment on it over long term but it seemed we got a late start this year with storms and rain compared to last. Last summer it seemed consistent with storms everyday in late afternoon or evening. I remember our first summer waking up overnight hearing storms quite often and again consistent later in the day. The summers we experienced so far had pretty much just been a lot of rain and yes a lot of thunder. I don't noticed much of a difference between them to this summer. There was that week it seemed to rain non stop which was out of place but otherwise seems normal. Again, we haven't lived here very long still to compare much.

That is tough about your dog, ours thankfully had never been scared of storms but it will be a everyday occurrence in summer.. hopefully they can adjust over time.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:55 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,679,653 times
Can't speak to whether it's exactly normal or not, I'm not sure if some type of farmer's almanac could. I know that over the past few days (since we got back into town from about 6-7 weeks of travel) it has not been storming as much (I heard that it was almost constant before).

What I will say though for me, is cloudy and even stormy skies beats the oppressive heat otherwise. Nothing cleanses the soul (or sole.. pun intended) like going for a jog through a driving rainstorm when the temperature actually drops to around 70 for a few brief minutes, at least not around here in the summers. Good luck! Hopefully your dog adjusts or the weather calms!

Old 07-22-2017, 12:17 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,408,487 times
I have a dog who barks at thunder, which is a problem when you live in a condo with neighbors who write letters. This is my fourth summer here. I have noticed quite a bit of thunder, especially late afternoon. But overall, it's been fairly pleasant at least compared to last summer, which was horrible. Hottest on record, plus non-stop rain.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:49 PM

82 posts, read 102,870 times
I have lived here my entire life, 28 years, and I cannot recall a summer that had so many unending torrential thunderstorms. It is typical to have a shower every afternoon this time of year, but not close to what it has been for what seems like the entirety of the season.

For your pup, have you tried a thunder shirt? Mine aren't scared so I don't have firsthand experience but I have heard good things.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:29 PM

6 posts, read 8,673 times
I've been in Florida for 6 years now, 2 in Gainesville and 4 in Sarasota. I've definitely noticed this the amount of thunderstorms this summer; it's been much more then I remember. It seems like the grey skies last all day, everyday this year, whereas in previous summers the rain/thunderstorms seemed to last 30 minutes in the afternoon. But at least it makes it a bit cooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area