Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 08:42 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,983 times

Advertisements

I did a search and found a little on this but only one company mentioned awhile back. Anyone have suggestions on a licensed, bonded home watch service for us snowbirds? Did the google search and several came up but was hoping for any experiences others had. Yes, I know, get a neighbor to check in but since we are new to the area, I want a reliable service for at least this coming year. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 09:14 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
We've used Gulf Breeze Home Watch for two years - they have been great.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:19 AM

87 posts, read 119,467 times
The best suggestion is to get someone you KNOW, not a paid service. Most suck. Consider getting an app for your alarm system so you can not only monitor for break-ins etc but can watch via cameras real time. Buy a system, not a contract for outsiders to enter your home willy-nilly. One time cost, probably cheaper than the fees, which must be renewed.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:16 AM

Thanks so far. Appreciate anyone else who has had experience with a service. I am curious in which way "most suck". Totally agree with getting someone you KNOW instead but until we've lived here for awhile I'd rather trust a licensed service with hopefully good references since I can't say I KNOW someone well enough to ask. Also agree with monitoring and are looking into that as well. In the meantime, any other suggestions from experiences?

Old 02-23-2017, 11:27 AM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
^ Why would you have to live 'there for awhile'?
In a few days one can poll their neighbors for recommendations/who they use, maybe check out the community electronic bulletin board, etc. and come up with a few possibilities.

Call up those of interest and give them a quick interview and pick one. If you don't like them it will soon be apparent, and find another...

I would and do use a home watch person lives in our neighborhood and came recommended vs some outside service that is more commercial, has to come into the community, doesn't live there, etc.

In our 13 winter seasons, the local person(s) are all OK. None have been 'excellent' or perfect, but we are just interested in the basic stuff in keeping the winter joint working and system(s) running, while we are gone in summer.
GL, mD

Old 02-23-2017, 12:17 PM

Motordavid, thanks. I guess "living there for awhile" was my tongue-in-cheek response to the all caps comment about knowing someone from a previous poster. Definitely will ask around once we are there and I've been told there is a NextDoor group available too so recs from the locals make more sense than throwing it out here to the great unknown of the internet. Still, there's a vast amount of knowledge here on CD, it's just a matter of filtering through it for what a person needs, or wants. I learned a lot here over time about house hunting in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
View detailed profiles of: