Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 01:21 AM

10 posts, read 34,631 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking of moving. I currently live in Michigan. My current job has an oppertunityfor me and my family to move. I need some help considering areas. Not only to live, but for schools. I have 3 young children and want them to go to good schools. Any help would wonderfull!!!

Thanks to everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 03:45 AM

321 posts, read 1,029,176 times
Where exactly is your job? It would help with the answer (commute times!).

Old 03-20-2008, 04:14 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
My parents had a retirement home in Venice. I used to love to visit there. If you stayed off the trail, it reminded me of a small town with a lot of great beaches and easy biking.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:55 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,261,635 times
It really depends on your budget. We are in our early 30's with a 2 YO we relocated from Chicago and we live in Manatee county. We found that Sarasota was very congested and city like. We couldn't get much we were happy with for what we could afford (220 or so) All the homes we saw were older, or frame, or just not in great neighborhoods. We could easily afford a townhome but we wanted a single family. We looked in Manatee county and were very pleased with what we saw. We are currently renting to further investigate. Bradenton is nice, but stay E of I75! Either that or go Waaay NW near Palma Sola Bay if you can afford. East Bradenton (E of I75) has some beautiful areas like Mill Creek, Bradenriver Lakes..LWR is nice too but is a CDD community. We won't buy in one of these (I can give you more info on this ). East Bradenton on the South end is nice also with Tara and Creekwood subdivisions. They also have A schools. We are looking to move to Parrish. Its North of East Bradenton in Manatee county. Its a new area, but growing rapidly. They have VERY affordable housing (alot for your money) and A schools also. It's a country like setting though so it depends what you like..

Old 03-20-2008, 09:26 AM

10 posts, read 34,631 times
Thanks everyone. You are right it would have been great it i had told you that the job was in Tampa!!!

Old 03-20-2008, 11:31 AM

172 posts, read 472,494 times
Smile Sarasota

I have friends that live in Tampa. When they visit me I always hear them say that they would love to live in Sarasota. If you dont mind the commute, it is a great place to live. Although, I fear that the drive will wear upon you very quickly. 70 Miles to Tampa is a haul every day! However, if you are a hardy soul and do not mind the commute then I think you will find sarasota is a great place to raise a family.

The schools in Sarasota: The Pine View School was rated as the #6 high school in the entire country and The New College of Florida was ranked the #1 public liberal arts college by US News and World Report.

There are some fantasic safe neighborhoods in the city: Arlington Park, Paver Park Estates, Ringling Park, Terrace Gardens, Laurel Park and most anything west of trial. Also, I hope that you dont perceive an older frame home as being less desirable. Most of the homes in these neighborhoods were built mid century with cypress wood and are rock solid. They are considered by many as the best built homes around. Good luck with your search. Hit me up if you have any additional questions. Best Wishes!

Old 03-20-2008, 12:27 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,138,002 times
The tampa/Sarasota commute would eat you up alive. With Tampa congestion along plus the cost of gas? Not even worth the thought; You wouldn't want to drive 140+ miles a day with gas at $4/gal...

Go to the Tampa Board & start questioning them!

Old 03-20-2008, 12:55 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
The tampa/Sarasota commute would eat you up alive. With Tampa congestion along plus the cost of gas? Not even worth the thought; You wouldn't want to drive 140+ miles a day with gas at $4/gal...

Go to the Tampa Board & start questioning them!
Yup - my hubby did it for YEARS and then we finally got smart and MOVED. And it is much worse today than it was 10 years, ago because there is more traffic and gas prices are so high. Anyone who commutes can expect at LEAST one and one half hours on a good day.

Good luck.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:54 PM

69 posts, read 235,870 times
Venice is a nice area and a great location to bring up children. I am a former teacher and Sarasota Schools are pretty good! Depending on your childrens ages, some locations are better than others in the county. Venice is a small close knit bedroom community for Sarasota. Comtact me and I'll be more than happy to share more because i could go on and on, I love it here! The area relies on tourism pretty heavily. Kim : )

Old 03-25-2008, 07:28 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,261,635 times
Try Parrish, new homes, great prices and A schools. It's a new area, growing fast. Either that Or EAST Bradenton (E of I75) which is North of Sarasota. Your commute would be much easier from these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area