Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 02:30 PM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieNMikeLee View Post
No hospitals?? That is scary...where is the closest ER? God knows you never want to be in a spot to need one...but, if you do need one it's nice to have it close.
You stumbled onto a year old thread. There are 2 Hospitals underway nearby. One is in Venice at the Jacaranda Circle, and the other is a bit further away off Laurel Road and I-75.

Sarasota Memorial plans to build a hospital in North Port w/in 10 years, but I'm betting another company will beat them to it. There are plans for an Urgent Care center in North Port if its not already there.

Here's a story about all of this:

https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...and-north-port
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 05:53 PM

6 posts, read 7,147 times
Hey all! I am researching again- we moved to the Tampa area (Valrico) in December and are currently renting. We do not like where we are and want to be in a less busy place close to the beaches. We don't mind rural at all, actually prefer it and are now venturing out north and south of Tampa.
We're looking at North Port, Venice, Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda. We're 40 with young kids (3 and 8), my husband is a full time student at USF and I work from home.
Our budget is 300K maybe a little more, we're looking for great schools, 4 bdr, pool, nice yard and would love to have a downtown if possible.
What are your recommendations? We'll be traveling over the next weeks to all the places mentioned, but I would love to hear feedback.
(We're also looking at Land o'Lakes, New port Richey, Crystal River and at a few places on the west coast, Ormond Beach, Port Saint Lucie)

Thank you!

Old 05-20-2019, 10:43 PM

65 posts, read 98,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Exactly.
However, common sense does not always prevail.

I warned my SIL about this and in her "I am never wrong and know what Im doing and smarter than you" wisdom a developer bought the surrounding lots that had stood vacant without a nibble ever and is in the process of building 4 homes.
SIL's home was just completed 5 months ago.
In this case...karma.
Lurking here.... but I do want to say that Karma *is* a b*tch, but she is still our friend.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:15 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyq16 View Post
Hey all! I am researching again- we moved to the Tampa area (Valrico) in December and are currently renting. We do not like where we are and want to be in a less busy place close to the beaches. We don't mind rural at all, actually prefer it and are now venturing out north and south of Tampa.
We're looking at North Port, Venice, Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda. We're 40 with young kids (3 and 8), my husband is a full time student at USF and I work from home.
Our budget is 300K maybe a little more, we're looking for great schools, 4 bdr, pool, nice yard and would love to have a downtown if possible.
What are your recommendations? We'll be traveling over the next weeks to all the places mentioned, but I would love to hear feedback.
(We're also looking at Land o'Lakes, New port Richey, Crystal River and at a few places on the west coast, Ormond Beach, Port Saint Lucie)

Thank you!
Out of NP, Venice, PC and PG, Venice is your best bet. The other 3 towns are not close to the beaches, and Venice has a little walkable true downtown area that is very nice. You can be at any number of beaches in 10 min not matter where you live in Venice.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:16 PM

4,619 posts, read 7,541,245 times
If you are considering the New Port Richey area, keep in mind that sinkholes are a possibility. Hernando, Pasco and Hillsborough counties account for 66% of all sinkhole claims in Florida. Approximately 1/4 of all sinkholes are in Hernando County alone, and the Spring Hill area ranks #1 in the nation for sinkholes. So if buying there, you will want to pay close attention to foundation settlement issues.

If you really want a city with a downtown, North Port might not be for you. North Port has many small to mid size shopping centers, but no actual downtown area. North Port is not what most people would consider a traditional city. The actual city limits of North Port cover over 100 square miles of land, but a large portion of it is not developed. In fact, North Port has an entire forest located within it's city limits.

North Port was originally laid out in the 1950's by a company called General Development Corporation. They laid out grids of roads within the huge land area of their city of North Port, then started selling lots to winter visitors. Things didn't go as planned and the company eventually abandoned North Port. So outside of the more established subdivisions you will find miles and miles of roads with few homes and many vacant lots. Many of the individual, vacant lots are vacant because of the cost of running electricity to those lots is expensive. Developers have bought up a lot of the less expensive plots of land and several are building new construction.

More of the development is north and west, where there is more access to utilities (much of North Port is on septic systems and well water). The north end of North Port is experiencing a building boom thanks to the West Villages development. The majority of the West Villages is located along US 41 and River Road at the edges of unincorporated Sarasota County and the city limits of North Port.

It's definitely a good idea to visit the area, several times if possible, before you reach any decisions about where to move next. And if possible, rent for awhile before buying, so that you do not commit to a home purchase that looks good on paper but turns out to be a wrong move in the long run.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:36 AM

North Port (take out West Villages) is the least touristy areas I know in SW Florida. I just read an article today in a local newspaper that a new hotel was being built there, and its just the 2nd hotel in North Port. Its also younger than surrounding areas due to affordability.

It doesn't give off much of a sense of being a city though, more just a large area of land. Mostly younger, still-working, year round, middle class families.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 1,629 times
City of North Port is now putting all your tax dollars into the "Villages" and turning every other area of North Port into the latest version of Highway 41. Low income housing going in at Price and Toledo Blade. More auto parts, carwashes, filing stations, smoke shops, massage parlors and 7-11 stores as fast as they can approve them and to get one more dollar of tax revenue. Quality of life and long term planning are not in City of North Port's vocabulary or mental capacity. Unresponsive to local citizens concern. City purposely fails to uphold their own city ordinances and you are the enemy if you ask them to. Selling and moving out as soon as possible.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:37 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
Not a big fan of North Port. I would look at Venice, Englewood or Punta Gorda over NP. And some parts of Port Charlotte.
NP is just so much random sprawl. It could be the next Lehigh Acres.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50missoncrush View Post
City of North Port is now putting all your tax dollars into the "Villages" and turning every other area of North Port into the latest version of Highway 41. Low income housing going in at Price and Toledo Blade. More auto parts, carwashes, filing stations, smoke shops, massage parlors and 7-11 stores as fast as they can approve them and to get one more dollar of tax revenue. Quality of life and long term planning are not in City of North Port's vocabulary or mental capacity. Unresponsive to local citizens concern. City purposely fails to uphold their own city ordinances and you are the enemy if you ask them to. Selling and moving out as soon as possible.
Yeah, but its cheaper than dirt, and the largest city by population, and square miles, in this forum's area. It also has a brand new Spring training facility, and access to I-75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area