Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2018, 01:07 PM

79 posts, read 320,153 times

Advertisements

My home in Sarasota was built in 1998 by a reputable family-owned builder who have since gone even more up-market to full custom homes. It is concrete block filled with concrete and seems generally to be "quality".

There is a lot of drywall "tape" that has come loose and hangs in bubbly or lumpy masses, Some on an outside porch ceiling even came off under light washing. The former owners certainly had the same issue because the screened lanai's ceiling (under the main roof) was being repaired for the same issue while we were viewing the property for purchase 10 years ago. Since then the tape has come loose in numerous places.

I do not understand this at all. I watched my parents and their neighbors putting up drywall in the 1950's and then taping and spackling the joints, and spending innumerable hours sanding this stuff. I just cannot imagine taped joints like that coming loose.

Can someone explain how/why this occurs and how to fix? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 03:13 PM

378 posts, read 487,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggins View Post
My home in Sarasota was built in 1998 by a reputable family-owned builder who have since gone even more up-market to full custom homes. It is concrete block filled with concrete and seems generally to be "quality".

There is a lot of drywall "tape" that has come loose and hangs in bubbly or lumpy masses, Some on an outside porch ceiling even came off under light washing. The former owners certainly had the same issue because the screened lanai's ceiling (under the main roof) was being repaired for the same issue while we were viewing the property for purchase 10 years ago. Since then the tape has come loose in numerous places.

I do not understand this at all. I watched my parents and their neighbors putting up drywall in the 1950's and then taping and spackling the joints, and spending innumerable hours sanding this stuff. I just cannot imagine taped joints like that coming loose.

Can someone explain how/why this occurs and how to fix? Thanks!
I think thats your first hint - Drywall, tape and compound should not be used in areas that are prone to moisture (I.e. outside porches or lanai's).

Sounds like the contractor (or likely company that he subcontracted this work out to) cut a few corners.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:59 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Sheetrock is not meant to be "washed" - not even lightly. Sure, if it has enamel paint on it you can use a damp wipe, etc.....

But the above poster is correct - no sheetrock should be used outside. In the rare cases where it is, there may be special grades of gypsum board available...

If I had to use sheetrock in a non-conditioned space, I would probably use the FG net tape and look up the specs on the compound (there are some which specify exterior.

My guess is that the builder/contractor used regular sheetrock - and even if they used exterior rock (purple or blue?), they used paper tape and joint compound not made for the special Florida conditions.

Personally I'd never use sheetrock in non-conditioned spaces except perhaps in a garage.

From what I read, if you got 20 years out of it you are really lucky.....here is a quote from another forum board:

"here in Florida you see the track home builders do it all the time. I will give it maybe a couple of months till the tape and texture starts peeling and cracking. I use densglass and stucco over it."

In terms of fixing it, you have a couple choices. Assuming no mold, soft spots or other problems are along with it, you should probably remove ALL the tape and have it redone with a fiberglass netting type of tape and exterior rated mud. Then you have to use top-of-the-line primers and paints to protect it.

Or, you could install something over it like the guy mentions...this could be anything from vinyl to aluminum to sheets of a proper material and stucco.

I am speaking about the porch - interior joints will have to be fixed also. They may just be the result of the climate (in general)...homes down here need constant maintenance.

My 1953 built Sarasota house actually used plaster over gypsum board backer. It has lasted since then and most of it is perfect and "hard as a rock". Of course, builders are not going to use plaster these days unless the home is totally custom and it is demanded by the customer. But I can see the advantages of it - even in our little shower stalls the upper walls and the ceiling are in good condition - after 65 years.

I am down here 4 months per year and I spend the entire time maintaining our small ranch house...the climate is brutal on materials. In fact, on Anna Maria there is a special piece of land where large building material manufacturers build structures (and leave them sit) ONLY to test the materials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area