Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 07:32 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times

Advertisements

craigiri claimed in 2 prior posts in this thread about the use of fertilizers in this area:

"In fact, there were proposals in terms of limiting lawns in Sarasota and other areas. The builders fought against these - and the builders NEVER lose."

"I have a friend whose family has lived and worked in SRQ for three generations or more....I am going to ask him about red tide in the past and will report back. I can say this much - he was the one who mentioned that Sarasot had a pending code that would have cut back on fertilization...but it was squashed by builders. So I can somewhat assume he, a teacher, knows something about it."

From Herald Tribune's May 31st 2017 online edition:
Sarasota County begins fertilizer use restrictions - News - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Sarasota, FL

Sarasota County Website: "Sarasota County prohibits the use of fertilizers containing Nitrogen..."
https://www.scgov.net/government/uti...zer-management

From Manatee County website citing fertilizer ordinance:
Manatee County Ordinance enacted May 27, 2011:
https://www.mymanatee.org/UserFiles/...rd%2011.21.pdf

I wanted everyone that reads this thread to have the facts...both Manatee and Sarasota County's have ordinances restricting the use of fertilizers containing Nitrogen during the Summer months.

Builders did not stop these protections from going into effect, and Manatee's ordinance has been in effect for 7+ years now.
Both County's do press releases to remind residents in late May of each year since the bans go into effect June 1st.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 08:06 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

I wanted everyone that reads this thread to have the facts...both Manatee and Sarasota County's have ordinances restricting the use of fertilizers containing Nitrogen during the Summer months.

Builders did not stop these protections from going into effect, and Manatee's ordinance has been in effect for 7+ years now.
Both County's do press releases to remind residents in late May of each year since the bans go into effect June 1st.
Ok, so the "facts" represent that it is known that HUMAN ACTIVITY contributes to this and other problems, eh?

Note - the codes I am speaking about limited the actual planting of full sod and such things as would need vast quantities of fertilizer and water....

The "summer ban" is a band-aid and assumes that the vast quantities of nitrogen end up instantly in the bay and ocean. They don't. They build up in ponds, lakes, rivers and their banks, swamps and many other places and concentrate and then leach slowly into the larger bodies of water.

It can't work both ways. Here we have people saying that all occurrence are perfectly natural....and yet then you admit that some band-aids are underway in attempts to mitigate it.

So, the summary we can accept as current truth. Red Tide itself (like air and temperature and even anthrax) is a "natural" organism. But mankind may be doing many things to change the size and scope of this "natural" event, and is therefore changing codes and behaviors in an attempt to mitigate it.

I feel bad for the few here who can't seem to use logic and reason to see that BOTH things can be true. Odds are they may be in the reality of building or a related business and therefore "think" in the best way to make $$. This is the vicious circle...we can solve ALL problems just by building more lanes on the interstate, right?

1. Red Tide is Natural and has happened for thousands of years (or more).
2. Mankind is new and has aggravated many environmental situations...

Next thing we will hear is that air pollution is all natural because - of course - volcanos and dust storms do it. Therefore all the millions dying and suffering from air pollution is just one more act of nature we can do nothing about!

Old 07-08-2018, 09:34 AM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Here we have people saying that all occurrence are perfectly natural....

I feel bad for the few here who can't seem to use logic and reason to see that BOTH things can be true.
No one said that at all.....that's your bias working

..and the rest of us feel bad for you....that you are that reading comprehension challenged

Old 07-09-2018, 06:35 AM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
9 July 2018, 7:00 AM

Hurricanes Fell Silent as African Dust Clouded Skies in the U.S.

"What can give you itchy eyes, replenish the rain forest and bring a hurricane to its knees? Dry and dusty African air."
"Every year, 100 million tons of Saharan dust spreads across the Americas, reaching deep into the Amazon where it can replenish soil in the rainforest"
"At the end of June, African dust turned the sky a milky white in Miami and Houston, sending air quality into the ditch."

“It happens pretty much every summer, the reason why it was such a big deal this time was it was a lot thicker and there was a lot more than normally comes over,”

https://www.bloombergquint.com/busin...ies-in-the-u-s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area