Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 05:18 PM

60 posts, read 114,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Give us a hint where you practice. I want to make sure you're not one of my doctors.

Locum tenens.
East coast, west coast, all around the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 05:29 PM

60 posts, read 114,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
Rusted Fox - since you are a doc - please answer this - I see many older people in bars around here getting very drunk - how can they do it when most of them are on medication and probably should not be drinking?

I am over 50 and when I go to the doctor and tell them I am not on medication they look at me like I am a medical miracle

Just because they do, doesn't mean that they should.
Medical noncompliance is one of my biggest sources of frustration.

Some poster above suggested that I should move if I hate it so much.
This is a bit of a jump (leap?) to a conclusion.
I like a lot of things about this place, and Florida in general.
The snowbirds are a giant source of frustration, yes.
This attitude is shared by a lot of locals.

Not all snowbirds are awful.

Some are great.

This is where humor comes in; its a form of relief - and is listed as a mature coping mechanism.
If you don't like the jokes; that's fine. Move along; I've got nothing in your size.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:00 PM

25,867 posts, read 12,901,647 times
I enjoyed the humor, and thought nothing bad of it at all. I found it a bit soothing to know I'm not alone in feeling these things. This is my favorite time of year, school starts Monday, and no Snowbirds until November. Here's how I celebrate:

I go to the post office and send a certified letter to myself so I can enjoy stepping right up to the window w/o waiting. Sometimes I buy a single stamp just for the pure joy of not having to wait in line. If the clerk gets nasty, I'll buy some bubble wrap, then return it claiming its defective.

I put only 5 gallons in my tank at Costco's gas station so I can return tomorrow to do the same. I insert my Master Card into the payment slot just to give the attendent something to do.

I go to the tax collectors office to get a new picture taken for my drivers license. I also shop the vanity plates in case I decide to splurge.

I go inside my bank to make withdrawls and deposits just so I can see if people really work there.

I double park at Siesta Key beaches parking lot in the best 2 spaces, and sit in the car and smoke a cigar, until the parking police are about to pull up.

I make appointments at the Doctors offices, then when they tell me to fill out the stack of forms, I tell them I'm illiterate and they'll need to do it for me.

I shop at Publix using the electric scooters, then on my way out, ask pretty lady's for help to weigh myself on the scale.

I go to the Venice Xfinity store and sign in as Stephen King, then sneak out and watch through the window from outside when they start calling the name out loud.

I go to the ATT store and ask for a line by line explanation of my bill, and pretend to be hearing impaired the whole time. I bring my Pickleball partner and tell them he's my Attorney.

These things make me feel like a Hippy splashing in the mud at Woodstock.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:51 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,698,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I enjoyed the humor, and thought nothing bad of it at all. I found it a bit soothing to know I'm not alone in feeling these things. This is my favorite time of year, school starts Monday, and no Snowbirds until November. Here's how I celebrate:

I put only 5 gallons in my tank at Costco's gas station so I can return tomorrow to do the same. I insert my Master Card into the payment slot just to give the attendent something to do.

These things make me feel like a Hippy splashing in the mud at Woodstock.
Hey, you finally activated one of my major initiatives.

The US could save MILLIONS of gallons of gas per year if we each only filled our tanks 1/4 or 1/2 of the way. Why? Simple, there is much less weight in the car and therefore the MPG is higher. The difference may be in the order of 1% or so, but thing of 1% of all the gasoline in the USA.

140 BILLION gallons a year.

So at 1%, the savings is 1.4 BILLION gallons a year. At 1/2% it's 700 million gallons a year.

Unfortunately, unless many of us do the same it's not as much saved....

Old 08-12-2018, 03:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,365,152 times
OK Fox you say your original post is merely satire then how about another satirical piece on how to be a good snowbird.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:40 AM

8,784 posts, read 5,083,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustedFox View Post
Locum tenens.
East coast, west coast, all around the state.
RustedFox...Doc....I have this pain

Last edited by Charlie&Rose; 08-12-2018 at 04:56 AM..

Old 08-12-2018, 05:57 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,278,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Hey, you finally activated one of my major initiatives.

The US could save MILLIONS of gallons of gas per year if we each only filled our tanks 1/4 or 1/2 of the way. Why? Simple, there is much less weight in the car and therefore the MPG is higher. The difference may be in the order of 1% or so, but thing of 1% of all the gasoline in the USA.

140 BILLION gallons a year.

So at 1%, the savings is 1.4 BILLION gallons a year. At 1/2% it's 700 million gallons a year.

Unfortunately, unless many of us do the same it's not as much saved....
And how about the extra trips to/from the gas station? The idling waiting in line for the pump?

Old 08-12-2018, 05:59 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,278,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

I still see snowbirds trying to pay with Amex both inside and at the pump. They stopped taking Amex 2 years ago.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:05 AM

85 posts, read 85,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
OK Fox you say your original post is merely satire then how about another satirical piece on how to be a good snowbird.
This is where all of the tender skinned people are missing the point. It's humor! A satire about good snowbirds would not be funny. People need to wind back the clocks a bit to when we could all poke fun at ourselves without offending everyone. Pull up some old classic stuff on your DVR's and lighten up. Check out some old All In The Family or The Jeffersons episodes, or better yet Blazing Saddles, then sit back watch and laugh at them. Why? Because they were funny and made before the whole "politically correct" mindset disease started.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:41 AM

4,896 posts, read 14,151,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I still see snowbirds trying to pay with Amex both inside and at the pump. They stopped taking Amex 2 years ago.

Just long enough for the skimmers to get their account number; don't think they're not reading numbers ~ lmao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area