Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2020, 11:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,296 times

Advertisements

I ask because...

It seems like a lot of people who grew up in Florida can't wait to leave/move somewhere else.

Is that accurate?

I live in western NY. My wife hates the cold weather and wants to move to Venice or St John's county.

I'm fine where we are, but am open to the move. I'm not a big fan of a 7 month winter either.

We have two kids, 9/7.

So, do people that grow up in Florida...end up hating it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 04:42 AM

1,097 posts, read 821,719 times
That does seem like the case, it's the typical the grass is greener on the other side. I met quite a few Floridians who hate it and wish they lived elsewhere and I met some who love and can't imagine living anywhere else. The people who hate Florida are usually the ones who live in Orlando or Southeast Florida since it reminds them of the problems they faced up north, those who love it tend to live in a smaller town with a slower pace of life.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:20 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,415,657 times
I can't speak directly to it, but I imagine:

1. If you grew up with the heat and can't properly imagine what seven months of cold feels like, year in and year out, then you might hate Florida.

2. If you find yourself without economic options, you might hate Florida.

3. If you know what seven months of cold is, dislike it, and have adequate income then you might like Florida.

As long as you can find agreeable people to associate with, as well as can put on blinders to some of the negatives that inevitably come with a relatively inexpensive state that has twelve months of warm weather.

Old 07-05-2020, 03:27 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,892,894 times
DH and I were born and raised in FL. We stayed into our 60s then left. Our hometown became so overdeveloped that it looked like every other overdeveloped town. People cut down huge 200 year old oak trees, built on wetlands, disregarded the environment in a huge way. Money was more important than way of live, as it is in many places. So we moved to small town in another state. We love the woods and nature here. It's so remote we don't even have a red light, lol.

Old 07-05-2020, 05:01 PM

17,602 posts, read 39,335,448 times
Yes, I grew up in Florida and I love it here. We almost moved (to NC mountains) awhile back but I missed FL before we even moved. I don't like the overdevelopment in a lot of places but we live in Central FLorida now where living is easier. Maybe things aren't perfect but I DESPISE cold weather, even a little bit. Plus, I love being easy driving distance to coasts and the fauna and flora here. I just wish all those who don't like it would leave. Way too many people here now.

Old 07-05-2020, 05:03 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,892,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, I grew up in Florida and I love it here. We almost moved (to NC mountains) awhile back but I missed FL before we even moved. I don't like the overdevelopment in a lot of places but we live in Central FLorida now where living is easier. Maybe things aren't perfect but I DESPISE cold weather, even a little bit. Plus, I love being easy driving distance to coasts and the fauna and flora here. I just wish all those who don't like it would leave. Way too many people here now.
We have winters where we are now, sometimes snow and lots of cold rainy days. People told me before I moved that I would hate it. Come to find out, I LOVE it! I don't even care if there are weeks of rain or months of yuck. If it's nice outside, I go hiking, biking, garden, etc. If it's icky, I have crafts and reading that I enjoy.

Old 07-05-2020, 07:32 PM

17,602 posts, read 39,335,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
We have winters where we are now, sometimes snow and lots of cold rainy days. People told me before I moved that I would hate it. Come to find out, I LOVE it! I don't even care if there are weeks of rain or months of yuck. If it's nice outside, I go hiking, biking, garden, etc. If it's icky, I have crafts and reading that I enjoy.
So glad you are happy where you moved trobesmom. For myself, I am a sun person, I love warm and sunny and the occasional shower, but just can't take any cold. Glad we don't all want the same thing!

Old 07-07-2020, 04:53 PM

30 posts, read 39,141 times
I think it would be hard to compare the experience of someone who grew up here 20 years ago to kids growing up here today as it is very different in many ways. Probably the biggest difference is that the age is trending younger and bringing more families which is creating a more family friendly atmosphere. With that said, not knowing what it is like where you are it is hard to know how to compare the areas. There are plenty of opportunities to get kids engaged... beaches, aquarium, the arts, circus, outside play all year long. The one thing I would say is that kids play more in their backyards and are heavily dependent on playdates rather than running around their own neighborhood looking for friends. If they are used to that, there is probably a lot of upside.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:21 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,449,651 times
I didn't grow up here but I line dance with a lot of young folks who grew up here. They're very much into the outdoors, especially fishing and boating. And their big trucks, of course...even some of the girls. Of course, I think it's great that so many of them are into line dancing. We did line dancing up north but I don't think many young folks were into it. I go to some places here where the floor is packed with kids, some still in high school or even younger. It kind of warms my heart that they're doing something wholesome and good for them.

Most of the friends I met here are from somewhere else. Except I do have one Bradenton friend who is like fifth-generation here. She's very proud of her family's history here and has no desire to live anywhere else.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:11 AM

15 posts, read 15,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
DH and I were born and raised in FL. We stayed into our 60s then left. Our hometown became so overdeveloped that it looked like every other overdeveloped town. People cut down huge 200 year old oak trees, built on wetlands, disregarded the environment in a huge way. Money was more important than way of live, as it is in many places. So we moved to small town in another state. We love the woods and nature here. It's so remote we don't even have a red light, lol.
Where did you move to and are the services good,hospitals etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area