Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:20 AM

4 posts, read 12,374 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to the Sarasota area for my husband's job. We are looking to move into a good, safe neighborhood within a good elementary school district. We would prefer a gated neighborhood and need a larger home (at least 2500sq ft). Here's the kicker....we have 2 great danes. I am noticing that most of the yards are not fenced in. We really like the Lakewood Ranch area but notice this the most there. Are they not allowed to have fenced in yards? We were first only interested in renting but realize most people would not allow 2 large dogs and our criteria makes it harder to find to rent. Does anyone have any ideas? Our price limit is $400,000. Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 11:41 AM

414 posts, read 1,245,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjalley View Post
My family and I are moving to the Sarasota area for my husband's job. We are looking to move into a good, safe neighborhood within a good elementary school district. We would prefer a gated neighborhood and need a larger home (at least 2500sq ft). Here's the kicker....we have 2 great danes. I am noticing that most of the yards are not fenced in. We really like the Lakewood Ranch area but notice this the most there. Are they not allowed to have fenced in yards? We were first only interested in renting but realize most people would not allow 2 large dogs and our criteria makes it harder to find to rent. Does anyone have any ideas? Our price limit is $400,000. Any help would be much appreciated.
Hi tjalley,
We just bought in the Palmer Ranch area. See my post "Just bought in Sarasota. Helpful hints."
I doubt you will find a gated community that allows a fenced-in yard. Most gated communities have pretty strict regulations on outside decor, even to the type of plants one can grow in the yard. The community we bought in has regulations about open garage doors. It sounds petty, but it does keep the neighborhood looking nice.
I suggest you contact a good realtor who has extensive knowledge of the area.

Best,
smileldoc1
I would suggest you

Old 05-04-2008, 12:07 PM

Thanks!
I guess we wouldn't have to be in a "gated" community. I find it very hard to believe that all of these people either don't have dogs or they put them out on leashes every time they need to let their dogs out. I am very used to the HOA's because we live in Las Vegas and have experience with them here. They are a good thing and agree with most of it but know that they can be very strict also.
Thanks for the input.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:43 PM

960 posts, read 1,686,640 times
Quote:
Thanks!
I find it very hard to believe that all of these people either don't have dogs or they put them out on leashes every time they need to let their dogs out.
Having no fences can be a good thing for those of us who live in communities without fences. We get to meet our neighbors when we are out walking our dogs. If we had a fenced yard, we'd probably stay inside in the cool AC, and not know half of what is going on around us.
There are tons of dog walkers here.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:48 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,415,341 times
F.Y.I...... Fences are allowed in Lakewood Ranch (we had one for our dog). I'm not sure about the gated sub-divisions there though. The Paw Park there is great too.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:51 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,135,913 times
Quote:
Thanks!
I guess we wouldn't have to be in a "gated" community. I find it very hard to believe that all of these people either don't have dogs or they put them out on leashes every time they need to let their dogs out. I am very used to the HOA's because we live in Las Vegas and have experience with them here. They are a good thing and agree with most of it but know that they can be very strict also.
Thanks for the input.
Florida has a leash law. Anytime your dog is out of the yard (if you have one), they must be on a leash.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:41 PM

40 posts, read 175,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Florida has a leash law. Anytime your dog is out of the yard (if you have one), they must be on a leash.
I think every state in the union has a leash law as well as speeding laws,littering laws,noise laws etc. if you get my point.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:49 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,135,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrodptl View Post
I think every state in the union has a leash law as well as speeding laws,littering laws,noise laws etc. if you get my point.
Leash laws are even more important in Florida when your gated community has no fencing between, around and across the properties...

Old 05-05-2008, 01:58 PM

40 posts, read 175,485 times
Quote:
Leash laws are even more important in Florida when your gated community has no fencing between, around and across the properties...
Kind of like the 1 million homes side by side in Brooklyn.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
That's what I meant. I don't usually walk my dog to go potty everytime and think it's strange to have to put your dog on a leash or restrain them somehow in your own yard to go outside to potty. Meaning...it's strange that there are hardly ANY fenced in yards. Of course, I would put my dog on a leash if I were just walking it. I would just prefer to have a fenced in area, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area