Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 10:33 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbee View Post
Thanks - I’ll look into Jacksonville, I’ve never considered it before. As for St Pete, we visited just for the day and it seemed nice, sort of artsy, perhaps even slightly grungy (by the beach we were at) cute downtown but didn’t feel like somewhere I wanted to live, I can’t exactly put my finger on why. We never made it down to Sarasota as when we went (2018) there was a big red tide (I think that’s what it’s called?) so there was no point us going. I’ve just had some people recommend it so thought I would do some research.

Thanks everyone. Very interesting to read all your views.
Yes, that red tide season was awful. Wrecked that whole season, pretty much. I know it's happened before and can happen again, but I think that season was an anomaly (I'm sure locals could tell you more on that, as I've only been here 8 years). As I said above, I'm in West Bradenton but I love being near the more upscale vibe of Sarasota. Check it out. And go to the rooftop bar at the Westin for a cocktail, it's one of my favorite places to bring guests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 09:47 AM

23 posts, read 34,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I'm in West Bradenton, a couple blocks off Palma Sola Bay and about three miles from the gorgeous Anna Maria Island. I don't go to the beach anymore due to extensive skin damage from all those years of sunbathing (and I'm fair), but: When I first moved down here eight years ago, a bunch of us "girls" (senior ladies) used to go to the beach a LOT in summer. There's usually always a sea breeze. The Gulf is calm, turquoise and warm (and I mean it can go up to 89 degrees). We loved it, just walk right in (no having to "get used to it") and then float around with our noodles. The summer is the "quiet" season here but many people come at that time for family vacations, particularly Europeans. The only thing you need to be cautious of in summer is lightning storms, so if you see clouds gathering or hear thunder, get off the beach. But the storms go by quickly.
That’s one of the things that’s far nicer than CA is being able to just walk into the water without freezing! We had a thunderstorm here last week and I think it was the first one I’ve witnessed in the 10 years I’ve been here, the humidity there at least brings some ‘excitement’!

Old 03-28-2021, 08:09 AM

19 posts, read 14,206 times
Hi Winterbee, former Los Angeleno here (family has been there since the late ‘80s.) and lived in South Pasadena for 10 yrs. We are now near Sarasota (in Parrish actually but go to/shop at Sarasota all the time.)

I can attest the summer isn’t all that bad here because like Winterbee, we lived in San Gabriel Valley in LA which is inland and it can get very hot (90-100 degree) in summer time. What I learned so far with living a good quality of life in FL is 1: get very good dehumidifier (Frigidaire is by far the best brand we tried.) 2: get pest control service like Orkin (we have been having Orkin since LA we lived on the high heels in south Pasadena with a lot of little rats....etc.) so you hardly ever saw any bugs/insects/fire ants. 3: get a house with enclosed lanai & pool.-life saver.

While my personality and interest made me wonder if we should move to East Coast FL in particular the Palm Beach/Miami area, (I was even asking the good people here.) but I also grew to love the Sarasota/Venice area more and more. Yes the prices are getting higher now with crazy real estate market & very low inventory, but coming from LA I’m sure it doesn’t phase you. There’s Trader Joe’s & Sprouts in South Sarasota; there’s beautiful Selby Garden that to my 11 yrs old daughter is equivalent to her experiences to Huntington Garden (she went there from 3-10 yrs old.). We love the St.Armand Circle, it has a very similar energy to West Hollywood (not as glamorous as WeHo but still very lovely.) I used to live in Paris so I love there are some cute French cafes/eateries/restaurants. My next try will be Maison Blanche on Longboat Key.

Like you we must be near the beach. I personally really love the beach in Lido (Siesta Key is a tad overrated.), Ana Maria Island (in Bradenton) and Nokomis. I’m very curious about Venice myself and would like to get to know it. Yes there are older people pretty much everywhere in FL, that’s a given, but I also see many, many kids around and there are some “hip” places near Downtown Sarasota.

The biggest setback though, to us, is it’s indeed getting more and more congested. These few weeks with Spring Break/tourists we were stuck in traffic and it’s worse than downtown LA bottleneck. (Because in LA you don’t see hundreds of people going to the same direction to a beach/island. We left LA for a reason, one is to never not go anywhere because of the traffic.) It’s either you go to the beach in the very early morning, or you live closer (within 15 mins drive that is.) to the beach areas.

Other than that, FL is the place that, providing you’re in a financially comfortable position, you do get a much, much better quality of life than say, LA.

LA will always be my home, but we are very, very happy (and grateful) we live in FL now. My beach bum daughter is SO happy here. The beaches in FL hands down are so much better than the ones in LA.

Lastly, please don’t consider Jacksonville. We went there last year a few times because we were told Saint Johns area is great with top notch school district, wealth and “the best weather” in FL. No, it might be great for many people but we found it a massive sprawl, kind of geographically isolated, didn’t have the energy either LA nor the SRQ area engaged, and mostly it can still get cold (and I hear you on the cold/grey/dark weather.) coming from LA we did find Jacksonville kind of remote and almost depressing.

Old 03-28-2021, 04:13 PM

10 posts, read 7,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun n water View Post
Moved here 11 years ago. Lived in San Diego for 10 years and never thought we'd fund a place we liked as much. We love Sarsota more than SD now. Sarsota has changed dramatically in the years we've been here. Demographics are much younger now and well suited for families with young kids.
There is so much to do here. It is impossible to get bored. 11 years here and still haven't done it all.
We have an 8 year old. Between the beaches, the circus, Mote aquarium, Selby Gardens, there is always something to do.
This is great to hear! I love San Diego and wanted to find a place similar. My husband and I will be visiting the area next month.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:46 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
I think Clearwater is much more exciting than Sarasota -yes - mostly old people in Sarasota compared to Tampa - I know others will disagree with me but this is my experience. We moved here with an 8 and 10 yr old who are now 16 and 18 - I am sure you will find friends and activities for them and they will be fine - but there is a huge older population here.
Tampa is great for kids - st Pete/ Clearwater is for over 55. We had our grands there and never had neighboring friends to play with or ride a bike. A lot of empty houses the snow birds use only during the season. Nothing for middle age. Lots of college kids. After 7 years I left the area. Pretty as can be- but too many transplants from NW/NE who never open their doors or sit in their lanais.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean_blue_sky_1999 View Post
Hi Winterbee, former Los Angeleno here (family has been there since the late ‘80s.) and lived in South Pasadena for 10 yrs. We are now near Sarasota (in Parrish actually but go to/shop at Sarasota all the time.)

I can attest the summer isn’t all that bad here because like Winterbee, we lived in San Gabriel Valley in LA which is inland and it can get very hot (90-100 degree) in summer time. What I learned so far with living a good quality of life in FL is 1: get very good dehumidifier (Frigidaire is by far the best brand we tried.) 2: get pest control service like Orkin (we have been having Orkin since LA we lived on the high heels in south Pasadena with a lot of little rats....etc.) so you hardly ever saw any bugs/insects/fire ants. 3: get a house with enclosed lanai & pool.-life saver.

While my personality and interest made me wonder if we should move to East Coast FL in particular the Palm Beach/Miami area, (I was even asking the good people here.) but I also grew to love the Sarasota/Venice area more and more. Yes the prices are getting higher now with crazy real estate market & very low inventory, but coming from LA I’m sure it doesn’t phase you. There’s Trader Joe’s & Sprouts in South Sarasota; there’s beautiful Selby Garden that to my 11 yrs old daughter is equivalent to her experiences to Huntington Garden (she went there from 3-10 yrs old.). We love the St.Armand Circle, it has a very similar energy to West Hollywood (not as glamorous as WeHo but still very lovely.) I used to live in Paris so I love there are some cute French cafes/eateries/restaurants. My next try will be Maison Blanche on Longboat Key.

Like you we must be near the beach. I personally really love the beach in Lido (Siesta Key is a tad overrated.), Ana Maria Island (in Bradenton) and Nokomis. I’m very curious about Venice myself and would like to get to know it. Yes there are older people pretty much everywhere in FL, that’s a given, but I also see many, many kids around and there are some “hip” places near Downtown Sarasota.

The biggest setback though, to us, is it’s indeed getting more and more congested. These few weeks with Spring Break/tourists we were stuck in traffic and it’s worse than downtown LA bottleneck. (Because in LA you don’t see hundreds of people going to the same direction to a beach/island. We left LA for a reason, one is to never not go anywhere because of the traffic.) It’s either you go to the beach in the very early morning, or you live closer (within 15 mins drive that is.) to the beach areas.

Other than that, FL is the place that, providing you’re in a financially comfortable position, you do get a much, much better quality of life than say, LA.

LA will always be my home, but we are very, very happy (and grateful) we live in FL now. My beach bum daughter is SO happy here. The beaches in FL hands down are so much better than the ones in LA.

Lastly, please don’t consider Jacksonville. We went there last year a few times because we were told Saint Johns area is great with top notch school district, wealth and “the best weather” in FL. No, it might be great for many people but we found it a massive sprawl, kind of geographically isolated, didn’t have the energy either LA nor the SRQ area engaged, and mostly it can still get cold (and I hear you on the cold/grey/dark weather.) coming from LA we did find Jacksonville kind of remote and almost depressing.
Thanks for such a detailed reply. Good to hear you have found happiness down in Florida!

Yes I always see people saying how much better the weather is here but I'm not sure if many people realize that many places in and around LA get very hot! it's not all the cooler sea breeze. I'm not far from S.Pasadena either.

I loved the beach in Clearwater, and love actually being able to get in the water without freezing! The beaches all look far superior in FL than here but then I'm a huge sucker for white sand!

I have read so many opinions on living in Florida and of course everyone has a different experience, it's so difficult, if not impossible to gauge what a place would be like without spending a significant amount of time there. I'll continue to research until we can decide if we can put in the time and money to really explore in person.

Thanks re Jacksonville, I'll bear that in mind.

How are the bugs down there btw? Are they as bad as people make out compared to LA?

Old 03-29-2021, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Tampa is great for kids - st Pete/ Clearwater is for over 55. We had our grands there and never had neighboring friends to play with or ride a bike. A lot of empty houses the snow birds use only during the season. Nothing for middle age. Lots of college kids. After 7 years I left the area. Pretty as can be- but too many transplants from NW/NE who never open their doors or sit in their lanais.
Yeah that doesn't sound like fun at all with kids, they need other little ones around to socialize. Thanks for the info. I liked Clearwater for a vacation but seemed very touristy and not somewhere I would want to live and really difficult to tell what Tampa was like from our short time there. I will say though - all the water is beautiful, especially the drive from Tampa to Clearwater.

Old 03-31-2021, 10:11 AM

17 posts, read 19,244 times
Nothing wrong with Jax, just live south near PVB !

Old 03-31-2021, 10:48 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbee View Post
Thanks for such a detailed reply. Good to hear you have found happiness down in Florida!

Yes I always see people saying how much better the weather is here but I'm not sure if many people realize that many places in and around LA get very hot! it's not all the cooler sea breeze. I'm not far from S.Pasadena either.

I loved the beach in Clearwater, and love actually being able to get in the water without freezing! The beaches all look far superior in FL than here but then I'm a huge sucker for white sand!

I have read so many opinions on living in Florida and of course everyone has a different experience, it's so difficult, if not impossible to gauge what a place would be like without spending a significant amount of time there. I'll continue to research until we can decide if we can put in the time and money to really explore in person.

Thanks re Jacksonville, I'll bear that in mind.

How are the bugs down there btw? Are they as bad as people make out compared to LA?
I know you asked Ocean but I'll chime in. One of the things I loved about living in Huntington Beach is I never had to worry about mosquitoes and I could leave my screen slider door open and still not have any bugs. But I was out there last year and there were definitely some annoying flies.

Here in FL, mosquitoes and "no see-ums" are definitely a problem. I am one of those people who gets eaten alive so I have to be careful to be covered up or sprayed if I'm out at dusk or nighttime. And the no see-ums can be around in shady areas of grass even in daytime. They can also be on the beach, though I've never had them attack me there. I always kept a bottle of Avon Skin-so-Soft in my bag as an insect repellent.

As for palmetto bugs aka cockroaches, I've never had one in my condo or seen one. We have regular pest control. I have had "ghost ants" in my kitchen, little tiny things that are very attracted to sweetness, like an open can of soda. Pest control guy came in and took care of it. Haven't had any problem with flies.

And before you ask, I've never encountered an alligator either. However, I would not walk my little dogs too close to the many ponds down here....just in case.

Old 04-02-2021, 04:50 PM

19 posts, read 14,206 times
Winterbee: we used Orkin for general pest control. They come vu-monthly. They have been great since we lived in L.A. in fact thanks to the enclosed Lanai we hardly see any bug/insect. I’ve seen a lot of harmless lizards crawling around outside the house but with Orkin & 4 fat cats, I never saw them at home.

Mostly keep the clean & dry. I saw more random insects in our homes in LA than here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area