Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 03:02 PM

8,037 posts, read 4,631,899 times

Advertisements

Previously all I heard about the "propaganda" concerning the merger is it's all good and everything will be better. Not supposed to be any downside at all for customers.

However today I received an email from Suntrust (now Truist) explaining about delays and interruption of service when the merger is finalized. Supposedly if what they said in the email is true the interruption of service will be short lived. However I pay a lot of my bills by automatic bill payment and hopefully the interruption won't effect my automatic payments.

This is what their email from today said:

"We’re taking the final step to becoming Truist.

Beginning Friday evening, February 18, 2022, SunTrust systems will transition to Truist. Here’s what you can expect during the transition.

You'll be able to:
• Use credit and debit cards for purchases
• Get cash from non-Truist ATMs

Services impacted or unavailable:
• Online banking and the mobile app
• The SunTrust Contact Center
• Payments, deposits, transfers, or withdrawals at Truist ATMs or branches

No one likes when their service gets interrupted and we’re committed to making this change as smooth as possible. All SunTrust branches will be open on February 19, 2022 to answer your questions, but unable to process transactions.

We’ll also refund certain fees¹ you may experience during the transition. We expect most services to be available on Sunday, February 20, 2022, but we encourage you to take care of anything you need before the transition weekend.

Thanks for your patience as we work to build a better banking experience for you."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2022, 01:40 PM

733 posts, read 759,497 times
What could go wrong? I'm sure it'll be fine. Just check your bills prior to that date, and ensure anything upcoming is paid online a couple days before Feb 18th. Then hopefully they'll have a full week to sort out any potential problems, before you need to use online pay again.

Old 02-04-2022, 01:50 PM

45,334 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I will just say that when BBT took over the bank I originally had, Maryland Federal Bank, in 1998 the transition was seamless. I haven't found that to be true with the SunTrust takeov.......mmm, merger.

In fact, I stopped going to one, more convenient, branch and returned to my original, further away and more inconvenient, branch because the "SunTrust way" at the beginning of the transition at the original pissed me off so badly.

(Wouldn't let me deposit a check in my son's account, of which I'm a co-holder, because he wasn't there. He's 25 and has had the account since he was 10. They also called Mrs. NBP to ascertain that I could, indeed, deposit her paycheck into our joint account).

Old 02-04-2022, 04:45 PM

200 posts, read 156,944 times
As as former executive, I can't tell you how much pushback there was/is to the merger...lol...of "equals"...totally different cultures that you can imagine! You should have heard the vehement, nasty, vocal objections to renaming the Groups to "Truist", which was "sold" to the banks by a bunch of leftist, artsy, stupid Madison Avenue at a NYC firm. STUPID name for one, and everybody from the execs and former execs in ATL, Orlando, and at NBC Memphis were pissed off....not to mention the the former execs at The Trust Company of Georgia.

Stupid, STUPID merger. We all know who benefited from the "deal" !!

Have you noticed that NO signs have been changed on the branches to "Truist" yet??

Stupid name...bad merger...bad marketing...they will lose market share believing the NONSENSE of the recommendations of a NYC branding organization.

Truist.....all of us are laughing....Truist my butt...I guess I know a bit too much.

Two strong brands, different cultures will lose market share...but that the story of Board of Directors cutting deals for themselves number ONE and to hell with the stockholders.

"Truist" ??? tell me some truth, don't pizzz on my shoes and tell me it's raining, okay?

My advice? Find a good Credit Union, or a Community Bank to do business with.

"I bank with Truist"..........lol....now isn't that better than SunTrust or Branch Banking and Trust, aka BB&T????

Watch them CLOSE branches here.....I already know

Old 02-07-2022, 08:51 AM

733 posts, read 759,497 times
I don't know either bank personally, other than driving by. "BB&T" was not a very enticing name to me.

But I always thought "SunTrust" was a great name. "Truist" does sound very lame to me, and they should have gone with SunTrust.

But in mergers, often they say if one name remains, then half the people will feel their side is more important than the other side. So they come up with a new name. But honestly, get over it and stick with the good you have. Can't imagine how much extra $$$ it will cost them to rebrand.

Personally, when we moved here, I just switched from a local-up-north credit union to an Online Bank. With mobile deposit and ATM fees waived, it's been great. No need to worry about branch locations if you move ever again. I'd recommend people just go with Ally. (Not who I chose, but who I wish I had chosen.)

Old 02-08-2022, 02:04 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMN View Post
I don't know either bank personally, other than driving by. "BB&T" was not a very enticing name to me.

But I always thought "SunTrust" was a great name. "Truist" does sound very lame to me, and they should have gone with SunTrust.

But in mergers, often they say if one name remains, then half the people will feel their side is more important than the other side. So they come up with a new name. But honestly, get over it and stick with the good you have. Can't imagine how much extra $$$ it will cost them to rebrand.

Personally, when we moved here, I just switched from a local-up-north credit union to an Online Bank. With mobile deposit and ATM fees waived, it's been great. No need to worry about branch locations if you move ever again. I'd recommend people just go with Ally. (Not who I chose, but who I wish I had chosen.)
I always loved the name "Suntrust." I have banked with them for decades including before it was Suntrust. I don't like the new name, but honestly it isn't going to make much difference for me. I bank online mostly, and I have a branch a mile from my house which will stay open, so not much is really going to change. This is just for my checking and savings. We have other major accounts elsewhere.

Old 02-08-2022, 02:57 PM

8,037 posts, read 4,631,899 times
I received mail today from Truist. My current Suntrust Master Charge debit card stops working on Feb.21st - and they sent me a new Visa debit card with a new number - however my pin will stay the same.

There's a letter about how this new card is better & blah, blah, blah. But now for some of my automatic payments I have to change the card and also re-stablish the new card with online businesses that I buy from.

Old 02-09-2022, 10:05 AM

113 posts, read 89,906 times
Banking online is total additional risk exposure.

The name "Truist" is a total screwup from a marketing perspective.

I think they will sell the entire banking and/or investment arms/capital markets section.
Lots of banks will merge and disappear in two years - regionals like Regions, FifthThird and PNC. The first one that needs to go away is Regions....just like NBC sold to Suntrust.

Old 02-10-2022, 08:27 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronDavidSchultz View Post
As as former executive, I can't tell you how much pushback there was/is to the merger...lol...of "equals"...totally different cultures that you can imagine! You should have heard the vehement, nasty, vocal objections to renaming the Groups to "Truist", which was "sold" to the banks by a bunch of leftist, artsy, stupid Madison Avenue at a NYC firm. STUPID name for one, and everybody from the execs and former execs in ATL, Orlando, and at NBC Memphis were pissed off....not to mention the the former execs at The Trust Company of Georgia.

Stupid, STUPID merger. We all know who benefited from the "deal" !!

Have you noticed that NO signs have been changed on the branches to "Truist" yet??

Stupid name...bad merger...bad marketing...they will lose market share believing the NONSENSE of the recommendations of a NYC branding organization.

Truist.....all of us are laughing....Truist my butt...I guess I know a bit too much.

Two strong brands, different cultures will lose market share...but that the story of Board of Directors cutting deals for themselves number ONE and to hell with the stockholders.

"Truist" ??? tell me some truth, don't pizzz on my shoes and tell me it's raining, okay?

My advice? Find a good Credit Union, or a Community Bank to do business with.

"I bank with Truist"..........lol....now isn't that better than SunTrust or Branch Banking and Trust, aka BB&T????

Watch them CLOSE branches here.....I already know
Truist sounds like a fem hygiene product or a vapor e cig

Old 02-14-2022, 11:19 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
They are offering 500 bucks for new accounts.
Something to think about as it a little more generous than their competitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area